• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth annoyance after ICS

saranicole

Lurker
Jul 11, 2012
I looked around, but I'm having trouble finding a solution for my issue. I recently upgraded to ICS and my bluetooth, when connected to my car, suddenly works differently.

I used to get into my car ('12 VW Eos) and as soon as my phone connected, Rhapsody would open quietly in the background automatically. Whenever I was ready to listen, I would press the BT button on the VW screen and Rhapsody would start playing. I could completely control everything in the player without ever taking the phone out of my pocket.

After ICS, Rhapsody no longer opens automatically. When I press the BT button on the VW screen, nothing plays. I have to get my phone and open the app from there. I then must also press Play on my phone as my VW controls do not work until I have pressed play on the phone - just opening the app is not enough. Once I have pressed play on the phone, I can control the player from the car's controls.

This is super-annoying and kind of dangerous as I have to do this while driving. If I forget to get my phone out before I start driving, it's barely worth the effort to dig it out at that point. And if it's a short trip, it seems pointless.

I looked for a way to set a default for the app to always open on bluetooth, but with no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones