• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] When does a rom become another rom?

Blyss

Android Enthusiast
May 24, 2013
Just kinda curious. I started with alliance 3.1 but what I'm running now is completely unrecognizable as that. Here is what I've done:

Removed the launcher and all but one default app. Replaced them all with other stuff.

Themed all of the status bar and pull down menu.

Slightly themed lock screen.

Made a new boot animation from scratch.

Added a few init.d scripts.(halved zRam, added swap, etc)

Added crt effect.

Changed system font.

Probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

So would you say in running a highly customized Alliance as it says in my profile. Or is it a beast all it's own?

Edit btw aside from the boot animation which used a library computer for, I did it all on my phone lol.

Reactions: LilBit
The question of when does an intellectual property become something else is the elusive question!!!!
I too have wondered that as well. Does an XML alteration do it? How about changing out 1 PNG?
When is the line crossed? At what point does one ROM change to another intellectual property of someone else?
This question NEEDS to be answered!
Does the change only occur with a different boot.img or build prop? We need awareness on this for a true response that is developer approved by the community. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Essentially the same goes for Alliance as it is based on the public mobile stock B07... once the theme looks completely different, you can name it. But this ROM still doesn't working incoming MMS functionality so I wouldn't go and release it just yet...:p... and I do a lot on my phone too! :p

I mean there are some who won't even go that far... look at Reaper Rom for example... It looks like a mix of ALIENWARP and n00b and still has a name.... it even still has the ALIENWARP logo in the drop down...

As long as you mention what your base is and give credit to those you borrowed from, it's all good! :)

Reactions: Blyss and LilBit
Upvote 0
I can't exactly explain how everything worked out in my brain... :eek::(:thinking:

lol! It's cool. :) It's been a long day for me as well - I was on jobs until 12:30AM last night, didn't fall asleep until around 4AM, then got right back up at 7 something and started my day, which I'm still not done with. Needless to say, I'm periodically falling asleep at my keyboard. So, yeah... I know the feeling! :eek:

Upvote 0
lol! It's cool. :) It's been a long day for me as well - I was on jobs until 12:30AM last night, didn't fall asleep until around 4AM, then got right back up at 7 something and started my day, which I'm still not done with. Needless to say, I'm periodically falling asleep at my keyboard. So, yeah... I know the feeling! :eek:

I work for an Aerobic wastewater treatment company, I replaced two pumps on some septic systems while half asleep because I went to sleep too late last night... I hadn't been able to sleep when I got home... and I'm only 16 so my brain is really off today... at least I get to sleep in tomorrow, helluva way to spend the 4th of July! :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies! Yeah I know the MMS doesn't work, but I wouldn't ever really release this anyway. I mean I like it but it's designed specifically and exactly for me lol. The boot screen for instance... nobody else is gonna appreciate that but me. I was just kinda curious thinking "am I running my own Rom or someone else's."

After reading these replies I'm going with *clever name that I haven't thought of yet* based on Alliance 3.1

Upvote 0
I like the question :thumbup::thumbup:

If you're wanting to create your own rom, the best thing to do is start from scratch with the stock rom for your device.That way there's no question its separate from what else is out there.

If you do base it off someone's work, ask that person permission, give them the proper credit, and make it very clear that your rom is based on X and you've added Y.

IMO, changing the launcher or theme isn't enough. It's makes much more sense to distribute your theme as a flashable zip for other people to apply over whatever rom you themed. You can even name your theme if you desire, but I wouldn't say it's a new rom.

Upvote 0
Here's a simple explanation from Mr Bobo. Sounds like a good one. ;)

The beginnings of n00b ROM (deconstructed in sequential steps)
For anyone who wants to get into making their own ROM, here are some of the initial steps I took to make this ROM (see posts above for credits to those I learned from, stole from etc):
First I took the stock B08c and Deodexed, zipaligned, updated apks, removed boot sound (cwm flashable): http://db.tt/U3JcfZgL
Second I added crt and power menu to the framework-res.apk, framework.jar and android.policy.jar files (cwm flashable (flash after step 1)): http://db.tt/fEQc9EtH
Next I used titanium to incorporate any updated system apps into the ROM, added replacement apps like the miui camera, experia home launcher and miren browser etc and made them system apps.
Next I themed the framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk in the UOT kitchen and manually added the signal bar icons (created by me in photoshop) and default wallpaper to the systemui.apk and corrected the boot animation folder issue in the UOT zip (flashable zip): http://db.tt/jBkf1D66
After that I was comfortable with the file system and kind of stepped into development level edits, I can't put that in writing, but if you start small you will get there too, Enjoy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones