• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy a Charge at Costco if you're going to buy one

costco does not let you in the store unless you show a membership card. you might be able to get in on a temp situation to browse, but you can't purchase without showing your card.

costco does not carry the iphone. they and apple are not on friendly terms. costco wants to sell at what prices they want, not what manufacturers dictate. they had a big issue last year with omega watches, selling way below what authorized dealers sold for. omega pulled the line.

Upvote 0
costco does not let you in the store unless you show a membership card. you might be able to get in on a temp situation to browse, but you can't purchase without showing your card.

costco does not carry the iphone. they and apple are not on friendly terms. costco wants to sell at what prices they want, not what manufacturers dictate. they had a big issue last year with omega watches, selling way below what authorized dealers sold for. omega pulled the line.

It's funny, but I had this conversation about 15 years ago with a sales rep for a small company. A number of manufacturers out there consider their products premium and require bottom line retail pricing from authorized dealers at the penalty of de-authorizing them if they don't. In addition to the mentioned above, Oakley is another one that practices this. Costco is not in the business of selling things at a premium, so those brands won't ever be carried...at least not officialls. If a regional or even local authorized dealer goes out of business, sometimes a Sams Club or Costco will pick up a sizable inventory being liquidated and set their own price. Finding such deals is luck of the draw, but there's nothing the manufacturer can do about it in that situation. :)

Upvote 0
So, today I checked Costco online and they have the charge listed for $179.99 (no coupon). Is there any advantage to getting it from my local Costco kiosk. I think that online there's no activation charge. Is that the same for the kiosk buy? Can I take the phone back to my local Costco in the 14 day period (and get my upgrade back) or exchange it within the 90 day period (if the function is available)?

Upvote 0
Just picked mine up today at Costco. First android device, actually; long time Blackberry user (and prior to that, Winbloat Mobile, egads). So far (limited use) I'm thrilled with it.

Given that I was first looking at $300, then $249 from VZW online, I find $179 to be a pretty amazing deal. Plus you get the car charger, which I need, and the case, which certainly beats paying $20 each for something that cost all of 10 cents to make in China.

For those upthread who mentioned they aren't members, it is worth the $50. They have some good deals on "stuff", and it's not hard to save the membership fee and then some.

Upvote 0
So, today I checked Costco online and they have the charge listed for $179.99 (no coupon). Is there any advantage to getting it from my local Costco kiosk. I think that online there's no activation charge. Is that the same for the kiosk buy? Can I take the phone back to my local Costco in the 14 day period (and get my upgrade back) or exchange it within the 90 day period (if the function is available)?

If you buy online returns and such happen online via mail, read the terms. I liek the ability to go to the store and swap if I need to so I got it in the store. Went back yesterday and got my $70 back, this is an awesome phone for $179 and with the EE$ update I don't even think I would move to a Bionic now unless it just blows this phone away with battery life, since I am not a power user.

Reactions: suntopper
Upvote 0
Regarding their 90 days exchange policy, you will pay only the difference in subsidized pricing for new phone. But the store guys said that you can exchange the phone only once, not multiple times.

My parents purchased my Droid Charge on their Costco membership in CA, I returned it within 90 days and replaced it with another Droid Charge (there was nothing out that seemed better) which was purchased on my own separate Costco membership. I'm curious if since the purchase is now on my membership (instead of my parents - and I've never returned the phone on my membership) if I can return the phone again and maybe get something like the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus that just dropped, does anyone know? Has anyone tried this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones