• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bye, bye iPhone

This is the phone i'm stuck using...

4265-main-medium-lg-lx-150.jpg

:(

Upvote 0
I'm being a good citizen and giving my iPhone 2G to my fiancee. We're then going to jailbreak it so she can use it on T-mobile. She doesn't have a data plan so will only use the wi-fi in our home, but benefits from having all the cool apps and a better phone than she has now. She's really not a dorky gadget freak like me, which is why I love her of course.

I'm amazed to see even the first gen 2G iphones like mine going for $180-$200 on Craigslist. I'm trying the EVO more out of annoyance with AT&T's service quality and Apple's rather 'closed shop' they seem to be pushing these days.

It's been a nice run with the iPhone, but it's time for a change. It'll still be a useful upgrade for my fiancee though.

Upvote 0
I feel your pain!!! My main beef with AT&T and Apple is simply this; I should NOT HAVE TO JAILBREAK the device in order to restore functionality that should have been enabled straight from the box!

I have an issue with carriers and companies that cripple or disable certain functions of a device when they know full well that they can do so much more!

In my eyes their willingness to do so falls into two areas:

1. Corporately we haven't figured out how to charge more for the functionality that was disabled.

2. The manufacturer's personal choices or disdain for other vendors/manufacturers.

In any case, these are inexcuseable reasons for limiting the full operating potential for the device. Just my two cents.

Agreed. Well said, and both points ring true.

Reactions: kmbutts
Upvote 0
count me out of the iphone camp too. my 3gs is on ebay right now (craigslist ticks me off with all the flakes and scammers). been using my old moto slvr the past week and i feel like i'm in the stone age. i'm never using a dumb phone again. i'm pretty quick texting with a numpad but relative to a smartphone it takes me FOREVER to type a text message and it drives me nuts. no google maps while driving, no internet at the store while shopping, just like so many other things i dont realize how much i liked it all until its gone. i'm sure the evo will be that much greater in 8 days when i finally get it.

at first i was worried i was making the right decision (first time i've ever been worried about leaving a phone), but the more i learn about the phone and the android OS, the more i'm getting excited.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones