• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bypassing email security certificate [Resolved]

firechicken

Aug 23, 2010
I am using stock android email app on my evo3d and the security certificate on our companies email server has changed. The stock email app no longer recognizes this as a valid certificate.

I tried deleting the account but it gave me an error stating the incoming mail server does not support ssl.

K9 mail works but it gave me the option to bypass the certificate.

How do I accept/bypass the current certificate in the stock email app.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. How do I import a new certificate.

My IT guys also thinks that it could be that the old certificate is cached/stored somewhere. Is it possible to find and delete the old cert?

On another note, how do email clients update their certificates anyways. K9 did not recognize the current one a valid as well. I am assuming that its is just too new. The new cert. does not seem to be affecting the iphone users here at work :(

Upvote 0
it could be any number of issues with your device. iphone handsets have different protocols.

certs are pushed OTA.

you can remove your account and re-add it and see if that helps. im not sure why you would get an error when REMOVING the account? sounds like something is wrong elsewhere on your device.

try to force close the mail app and attempt to remove it. i think if you can get it removed you should be able to re add it and get the latest credentials pushed.

Upvote 0
It does not sound like your problem was similar to something that I have come across, but I have seen where the phones date and time are manually set rather than using the network date and time, and if the date is off by too much, the certificate error will come up.

Thanks for the reply. How do I import a new certificate.

My IT guys also thinks that it could be that the old certificate is cached/stored somewhere. Is it possible to find and delete the old cert?

On another note, how do email clients update their certificates anyways. K9 did not recognize the current one a valid as well. I am assuming that its is just too new. The new cert. does not seem to be affecting the iphone users here at work :(

Upvote 0
go to the comcast forums. they have a pretty good support staff there that can help on their side. so i would search their forums and post a question if you dont find the answer.

i notice when im on the jobs wifi network, they block certain ports so the xoom tablet and the evo 3G cant connect to my personal mail servers, my comcast and msn .. once on the sprint network and/or home wifi i can get them as normal.

so just saying this above as FYI...

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply marctronixx.

Here is the deal.

This certificate security warning started on Friday evening (I think). At home my EVO 3D automatically switches to my home WiFi. This Monday morning I came to work where my EVO 3D automatically switches to our work WiFi. I was getting the same certificate security warning. I turned off WiFi to go back to 3G. I was getting the same certificate security warning.

I decided to google and found this post:
Issue 1016 - android - Email app should allow connecting to servers with untrusted certificates - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

If your device has the generic Email app in Android and you are running version 2.0 or later, support for untrusted certificates is provided. This includes Droid, Nexus One, and some other devices.

For POP or IMAP servers: select Account Settings, Incoming Settings, and change Security Type to "SSL (Accept all certificates)" or "TLS (Accept all certificates)".

For SMTP servers: select Account Settings, Outgoing Settings, and change Security Type to "SSL (Accept all certificates)" or "TLS (Accept all certificates)".
My email settings were on SSL. I switch to TLS and now it works. I will switch back to SSL little bit later to see if it works again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones