• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Greetings!
I have loved my 3 Gz'one phones. All have been under water and thoroughly dropped. I'm currently past 2 years on my 3G Commando. Either the battery is failing or there's a glitch in the charging system and I almost certainly have to do something that will cost me $$. If I must do a factory reset then maybe it's just time for a new phone.

If I'm ready to replace my C771 it only makes sense to me to go to the 4G-LTE Commando (C811). (If a locally-sourced battery for the C771 is $40 then the Verizon-subsidized price for the C811 becomes about $60. The move to 4G is a no-brainer.) I've read about lots of problems with sleep issues requiring removal of the battery to restart, but I figure that has or will have a solution. My big issue right now is how to migrate everything from old phone to new phone.

I originally chose NOT to root because I'm not into risk. My cell phone is my sole business line and runs the majority of my invoicing so I couldn't really afford (financially or "situationally") to ruin my phone while under contract obligation. After the warranty expired I haven't rooted because I just don't have time to devote to actually learning how to BE a Superuser, not just get access to it. I seems that to do root well one must have a lot of time to spend learning and messing around with the phone. Sure Verizon bloatware annoys me and some of the locked functions have caused me problems, but all-in-all the stock C771 has been a decent business tool.

I don't mind manually redoing the basic settings for a new phone because that process forces me to learn the new device. Verizon Back-up asst. should handle my contacts, but I saved them on Google too. I can find plenty of apps to handle my SMS's & call logs. I think :thinking: I can count on Google Play to restore my apps but I haven't found a way to retain data and settings for apps unless I root (think Titanium).

I've always been good with file swapping, renaming, and such. With the help of a good file manager ( I currently use ES File Explorer) I wonder if I can just copy data files from old phone to new phone after the clean apps are loaded. I don't know if essential app settings & data are in the protected part of a non-rooted phone. If so, moving the obvious files would be pointless.

Rather than babble on with extensive details, I'll assume that if you have meaningful advice to offer you already understand more details than I know to list. I did take note that Titanium BU website says that it requires rooting at least temporarily. I don't know if temporary rooting would be any less of a risk or not.

If you can help me I'll be eternally grateful. I'll even make myself available to talk you through how to hang anything on a wall. I don't know if the forum has a means for a private message, but I'm open to direct email or conversation with a knowledgeable person who has time and willingness to guide me.

Many thanks in advance,
Eddie

Hello Eddie,

From what I can tell there are three ways to move your apps to the new phone.

1. You can look at your google play history to see what apps you have used before. Then you can install them again. It may be tedious but you get the newest versions directly installed.
2. You can manually copy the /data/app and /data/data folders to the new phone. You would have everything, but you would need to update all of them from the play store, if they even show up.
3. You could temporary root your phone, and do a titanium backup of all your user apps and data, (don't bother with system apps and data, sooo different from gingerbread os to ics os) and then root your C811 and restore them. Then use TB again to link them to the google play store. Unroot and reboot, and your apps would show up as needing to be updated.

If you can root, Option 3 is the best choice, and most reliable. If you don't want to root, I would do the combination of 1&2, downloading all the apps and then copying all the /data/data files.

Hope you find this useful and best of luck,
Willster419

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones