• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calendar reminders could lead to divorce

core you are a lifesaver! my droid is actually the Eris and is running Android v1.5 and i don't have "silent" as an option for notifications (how could you forget to put in something like that?!).

i used ringdroid and created 0.1 sec of blank audio and named it "shut the f*** up" as i am pretty frustrated with this issue and am tired of being woken up at 1am, the only solution before was to turn my phone off.

for those of you saying "just disable all reminders", not only does that take away the visual reminders too which (like the OP) i also want, but it's also almost impossible to do when people send you calendar events in exchange constantly. i don't want to edit every single calendar event that comes across my plate. core i can't thank you enough, smart thinking :D

I second all of the above - thanks core! :D

Upvote 0
core you are a lifesaver! my droid is actually the Eris and is running Android v1.5 and i don't have "silent" as an option for notifications (how could you forget to put in something like that?!).

i used ringdroid and created 0.1 sec of blank audio and named it "shut the f*** up" as i am pretty frustrated with this issue and am tired of being woken up at 1am, the only solution before was to turn my phone off.

for those of you saying "just disable all reminders", not only does that take away the visual reminders too which (like the OP) i also want, but it's also almost impossible to do when people send you calendar events in exchange constantly. i don't want to edit every single calendar event that comes across my plate. core i can't thank you enough, smart thinking :D

I seriously lol'ed at the file name.

Upvote 0
Those who have said "just disable all reminders' ... get real. I merged my outlook calender with several hundred appointments and schedule items for the next two years. For some reason each and every one now has a tone reminder attached to it. I did not add a reminder to any of them. Somehow in the sync through HTC Sync it added this!

I went through the next two months of my calendar and turned off reminders. When I used the sync again - there they were! AGAIN!...

Can't anyone give a reasonable method for just turning off alarm. I about put the thing through the wall last night at MIDNIGHT!!! when the darn thing went off the third time! I guess I'm trying the blank audio method too. ... there doesn't seem to be any other choice.

Upvote 0
I'm trying either of these two methods mentioned.... Audio Manager and Ringdroid. Unfortunately I can't do either since the network is down. Might have something to do with the blizzard conditions where I live... :)

It's just frustrating that after turning the stupid reminders off on about 30 appointments, they all reappeared after sync. I checked my Outlook files and none of them have a reminder keyed in. I simply don't use that function unless I intentionally want the reminder on.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to download that app when the weather breaks.

Upvote 0
I tried the AudioManager app to silence the alerts/reminders. That didn't work either... AudioManager is suddenly reset to the default 4/7 setting for notifications every couple of hours. I've turned it down to 0 about 10 times now. It shows the "speaker with an X". But within a couple of hours it's right back to 4/7.

I guess I have to create a silent recording to shut this stupid thing off.

At this point I can't recommend android to anyone. It can't merge data correctly with Outlook. It can't merge notes at all. It changes the settings of my merged data to include "reminders" that I didn't ask for.

I can't believe I'm saying this.. but I miss Windows Mobil! At least it worked.

Upvote 0
My marriage was rescued by Silent Time Pro from the Market. I can set a schedule to switch all sounds off at bedtime and back on at 7:30am. I can even set exclusions so that should my CEO or one of my family ring me in the depths of night then I will get the call.... I choose not to allow any notification sounds but accept pop-ups overnight.

My wife really thinks the world of Silent Time Pro...

nielo:cool:

Upvote 0
Hi,

I found the following solution fast and easy:
- Download the attached .zip-file containing an mp3-file with 3 seconds of silence (silence.mp3)
- Connect your Tattoo to your computer using a USB cable (disk drive mode)
- On the SD-Card create a folder called "Media"
- Create a sub-folder to "Media" called "Audio"
- Create a sub-folder to "Audio" called "Notifications"
- Copy the silence.mp3 to the Notifications folder
- Disconnect the phone from the PC
- Go to Calendar --> Menu --> Settings --> Reminders --> Reminder sounds --> Choose: "silence".

Greetings, ro314

PS: You can also create folders called "Alarms" and "Ringtones".

Attachments

• silence.mp3.zip
    44.2 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: Megaballs
Upvote 0
There's an important point as well that people missed early in the thread regarding simply changing the notification for each event - bank holiday's.

Every friggin bank holiday or special event that is pre programmed in my phone always reminds me about it at midnight. A right pain in the arse.

Many thanks for the tips above in the thread - going to try some of these apps to see if they fix it. I'm in the habit of turning my phone on Silent every night but I'm sick of having to do that myself...

Upvote 0
Well- Why the hell alarm is activated for Outlook holidays when alarm is NOT activated in Outlook. My opinion is that that sync do not work about at all. It is so nice to woke up at 03:00 for knowing that it is a holiday - and the solution is not to turn off all alarms - of course. Please fix this soon as possible - I do not like fix this kind of staff by 'whatever' application. It just have to fix to calender sync which is NOT working with Outlook.

Calender tasks do not sync at all and when I decline a calendar appointment that won't go to exchange server at all - so - I need to decline it also in Outlook. Can this be more idiotic!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones