• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calendar

surveyor

Oct 26, 2010
I think I a giving up trying to directly sync my Outlook 2000 calendar with my new android desire HD. This is a great shame and is annoying when htc say it will sync - but it will not for me. However I have exported the outlook calendar to my google account and that synced immediately with my phone. Can anyone confirm to me please:
1. Does one have to sign in to one's google account on the computer to be able to see the calendar. Bear in mind with Outlook it is there without signing in.
2. How do I sync any changes that I make on my phone back to my desktop PC google calendar?

1. Does one have to sign in to one's google account on the computer to be able to see the calendar.

If you want to see them on the computer, then yes you have to login. If you are just talking about the phone, no, you dont have to login to the computer to see the calendar on the phone.

2. How do I sync any changes that I make on my phone back to my desktop PC google calendar?

When you add a new event to the calendar on the phone, you will be presented with two options: add an event to the Google Calendar, or the Phone Calendar. If you add to the phone calendar, it will stay on the phone, but will not sync with google. If you add it to the Google calendar, you will still get it on the phone, but it will also sync with Gmail.

Reactions: p0peye
Upvote 0
If you want to see them on the computer, then yes you have to login. If you are just talking about the phone, no, you dont have to login to the computer to see the calendar on the phone.

When you add a new event to the calendar on the phone, you will be presented with two options: add an event to the Google Calendar, or the Phone Calendar. If you add to the phone calendar, it will stay on the phone, but will not sync with google. If you add it to the Google calendar, you will still get it on the phone, but it will also sync with Gmail.

When I create an event I get 2 options - one is PC Sync and the other is my gmail address. Then after saving it on the phone I go to google calendar on my PC and click refresh, nothing changes!

Upvote 0
You need Google Calendar Sync to sync between your PC and Gmail.

But be warned that it is rather quirky.

Make a back up of all your gmail calendar events before doing any syncing, in case anything goes awry, so that you don't lose any of your events.

One quirk that drives me CRAZY is that if I enter a non-invitee event (e.g., like dr's appt), in Outlook, it will NOT sync to gmail. However, if I enter that event in Gmail, it WILL sync to Outlook.

Google Calendar Sync is in beta, so you're going to have quirky behavior. But if you need google calendar and Outlook calendar to sync, you have to live with the quirks. Hopefully, this will be fixed before final release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones