• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera shutter sound option

Upvote 0
Only if you have root at this point. This thread tells you how to do it. Holy crap, how do you turn off the camera sound!?!? - xda-developers

Make sure to read pages 4 and 5. That's where they start to really discuss how to do it. Also even though the camera sound is gone the autofocus sound remains. It seems to be located in the camera.apk which is tougher to modify.

I downloaded the file and it works. The autofocus makes no sound if you use the hard button. If you use the soft button on the screen, it beeps twice when it attains focus. ...but even that's better than that horrible CLICK-CLACK of the shutter noise.

[edit] never mind. I'm in the wrong forum. Duh. Sorry 'bout that. It works for the Photon the way I describe.

Upvote 0
Yep, no settings in the menu to take it off. Don't know why not.

Back in the hay day of the dumb phone I thought it was required that users not be able to turn off the shutter sounds, on account of wackos quietly snapping upskirt shots of passers by. On my iPhone and evo though it was easy to mute, so i guess that rule fizzled, til now :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones