• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can a rooted/modded EVO run as smooth as the Samsung Epic?

flonkas

Sep 15, 2010
Right now I have an epic but I realize id rather have a larger screen. Plus I don't use the keyboard and I hate the extra bulk. The only thing keeping me from switching to the evo is I did not want to compromise the fast gpu. Especially since I do play 3d games often. I've seen stock evo's struggle with this sort of thing. So can a rooted/modded/hacked evo perform as well as the epic in these areas?

Stock evo struggled only because of the FPS lock on the kernel. Latest OTA fixed the issue. I think the EVO is still heavier even w/o the keyboard.

The only thing I might mention is that the epic probably has a better battery life which means no need for an extended (heavier) battery. I am unsure if the GPU on the epic is better than the evo.

Upvote 0
Stock evo struggled only because of the FPS lock on the kernel. Latest OTA fixed the issue. I think the EVO is still heavier even w/o the keyboard.

The only thing I might mention is that the epic probably has a better battery life which means no need for an extended (heavier) battery. I am unsure if the GPU on the epic is better than the evo.

Its more then just the fps lock. Heavy games like nova, zeus arcade, modern combat sandstorm all perform laggy on the evo (even after the fps cap was removed) This is because the snapdragon processor does not perform well under these circumstances. The epic has a hummingbird processor which makes 3d games run smooth as silk.
When I mentioned the added bulk, I was referring to size, not weight.

Upvote 0
Its more then just the fps lock. Heavy games like nova, zeus arcade, modern combat sandstorm all perform laggy on the evo (even after the fps cap was removed) This is because the snapdragon processor does not perform well under these circumstances. The epic has a hummingbird processor which makes 3d games run smooth as silk.
When I mentioned the added bulk, I was referring to size, not weight.

A shame indeed. Get the epic :) I wonder if 2.3 is going to give significant performance improvements for 3d (they claim to have new 3d stuff).

Upvote 0
So your saying no, a modded evo cannot handle graphic intense games?

Truthfully, if you really wanted to play games, you should just get an iPhone instead of an Android phone. Because there's only 1 model a year, it's easier for developers to get the game just right in terms of maximizing performance. Even though the Samsung has a better GPU, Android games aren't made to push the boundaries.

However, outside of games, my EVO runs just as smooth as the Galaxy series.

Upvote 0
I'm rooted using Baked Kernel #6 and I have finished NOVA, Hero of Sparta, and almost finished with Sandstorm. I also have Dungeon Hunter and Asphalt 5 (I think I'm at the Hawaii track now). Below is a video of my phone with Baked Snack 1.7 stock. I have another rom now but still use Baked Snack #6 kernel since it's the smoothest I've found. If you forward halfway is when I show Asphalt and Dungeon Hunter. I haven't recorded playing Nova, Sandstorm, or Hero of Sparta since I didn't feel the need to ATM. I may later though. It is not super butter smooth as when I played it with my Epic but unless you are really really picky then you will complain. The only hiccup I've found on any of those games with my phone is for some reason when I tried to launch that game in Asphalt, I couldn't see any cars. But changing viewing options fixed it. I haven't seen it since that video. With Sandstorm the only issue i had is when I'm in the middle of the game and I hit the power button to shut off screen, and then hit it again then unlock the screen, the game shows up in the pause screen but the texts are just square blocks. But they still work. I know the first option is resume game so when I hit that I'm back to where I left off and no glitch what so ever throughout the game. Unless again I hit that power button. I know Sandstorm was not tested or available on the Evo at the time I downloaded so maybe that's why? I changed my phone to samsung galaxy s and was then able to download it. Anyhow check out the video and decide for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcXJCtHHq8

Upvote 0
So your saying no, a modded evo cannot handle graphic intense games?
Not as well as the Epic. But hey, you already knew that, you're just here to troll.

You are talking about a need to play 3D games (graphically and user-intensive games) that you want to be able to really get a full experience from. In order to do that, you require a hardware keyboard (not a touch screen) but you already knew that.

The Evo does not have a hardware keyboard, it is not meant to act primarily as a gaming device. But you already knew that.

The Epic has faulty radios, meaning that it is not meant to act primarily as... well anything beyond a gaming device. But you already knew that.

So if you need to stroke your broken ego because the games are the one thing that you have to cling to, we would like you to go stroke yourself elsewhere. But you already knew that. And if you didn't, now you do.:D

Sorry for busting your balls for trying to bust our balls.

Of course I am kidding about being sorry. But you already knew that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones