• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I get Verizon 4G coverage on ST prepaid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am a dumb phone user now.

I am thinking about getting Android smartphones for my wife and I, we are currently with Verizon ( just out of contract) and am looking at Straight talk. We do a fair amount of motorcycle touring, often getting off the beaten path and have been happy with Verizon's coverage. I don't want to be broke down on the side of the road with no coverage, but, I do know there will be dead spots no matter what tower network covers us. Just looking for our best option.

Straight talks Android coverage map has me concerned. I need some schooling please.

The questions I have are

(1) If I get an unlocked ( CDMA )Verizon 4G LTE phone and activate it with Straight Talk would it be limited to ST android coverage map or would I get coverage as shown on Verizon's coverage map ?

(2) Would I be able to get the 4G speeds?

(3) Is Att's 4G coverage really as good as it shows?

Thank you for any help you may offer.

The "Android coverage map" on Straight Talk's web site is their Sprint coverage (almost all of their Android phones run on Sprint). The Samsung Proclaim (I don't think it's currently available) is the only Straight Talk Android device that runs on Verizon, and it doesn't support LTE.

Straight Talk's BYOD (bring your own device) plans are only available for GSM phones, which means you can choose to use AT&T or T-Mobile as the underlying carrier. I would recommend the Galaxy Nexus from the Google Play store for a BYOD plan.

If you already have Verizon 3G phones, you might want to consider Page Plus. $55 per month for unlimited talk/text, and 2GB of data (2GB is the commonly rumored limit to Straight Talk's unlimited "web browsing"). Verizon 3G Android phones will work on Page Plus without modification. Some people seem to have gotten LTE phones to work on Page Plus, but not without a bit of hacking, and you won't get a LTE connection on Page Plus anyway.

For me, AT&T coverage has been better than Verizon in my area and limited travels over the past 6 weeks. I'll be traveling through NY & CT next week though, so I may have a different opinion of coverage by the time I get back.

Reactions: 79pw4x4
Upvote 0
The Samsung Proclaim (I don't think it's currently available) is the only Straight Talk Android device that runs on Verizon, and it doesn't support LTE.

Few WalMarts have the Proclaim on hand, and StraightTalk's website seems to be out of them as well. However, WalMart.com still has them. I just ordered 2 and received them quickly.

Correct... it does not support LTE.

As for MB limit... there has been a LOT of online discussion on the matter. Some claim multi-GB of use with no disconnect or warnings. Others say they get a warning after one GB. I haven't had mine long enough to give an opinion.

If this was helpful, please press the "Thanks" button in the lower right of this message.

Reactions: 79pw4x4
Upvote 0
Few WalMarts have the Proclaim on hand, and StraightTalk's website seems to be out of them as well. However, WalMart.com still has them. I just ordered 2 and received them quickly.

Correct... it does not support LTE.

As for MB limit... there has been a LOT of online discussion on the matter. Some claim multi-GB of use with no disconnect or warnings. Others say they get a warning after one GB. I haven't had mine long enough to give an opinion.

If this was helpful, please press the "Thanks" button in the lower right of this message.

Thanks. Are you happy with the coverage so far? I'll check WalMart.com Am I correct to assume that all the Android features will work using verizon's network ?

1) No. Only ST branded phones on the CDMA networks. The new LG Zip I think is on the Verizon network.

2) No 4G on ST. The AT&T and T-Mobile services have HSDPA+ which is like fake 4G. More like 3.5G.

3) AT&T and VZW have the best networks in the country. In some areas one is better than the other, in most places they're about the same.

Never having used 3G or 4G I guess I wouldn't know the difference.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Are you happy with the coverage so far? I'll check WalMart.com Am I correct to assume that all the Android features will work using verizon's network ?

So far, so good. It certainly is giving me signal far out into the countryside where my other phone (Boost Mobile) didn't have signal.

Yes, it is a regular Android phone with all the usual Android goodness and it runs on Verizon's network.

Upvote 0
WRONG ANSWER on Sprint Towers for Straighttalk (ST)... IN FACT Straighttalk uses Verizon, to add to this I live in the Boonies of North Florida with little AT&T and NO SPRINT AT ALL.. however Verizon is covered ane My ST Phone Carries same signal as my sons Verizon... Even Verizon acknowledges ST is using local towers.... SPRINT??? are you kidding.. Works in urban areas but outside of cities there is no coverage.... And none for 50 miles here.
-------------------
Now with that out of the way.... CDMA on Straighttalk works great for 3g but 4g with LTE is not permitted on ST due to Verizons Legal Rights.. However LTE is permitted using the ST AT&T vnetwork if you have coverage.. so GSM's with 4g LTE.... 4g does work on select phone.. (iphone of wife works well on ST when we can get a 4g signal in the area as we drive... hate living in 'Cell Phone Hell'!
-------It's great using forums to get answers... just dont expect them all to be correct!!! Sprint towers??????? Really????????? Where do some of these "Experts" get there answers?? LOL ;-)

Upvote 0
Some of these "experts" apparently knew what you don't - that Straight Talk uses Sprint or Verizon towers for CDMA - depending on the market and the phone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TracFone_Wireless#Straight_Talk

And given that you're ranting in a thread that's been dead for two and a half years, during which Straight Talk itself has changed, fortunately no one will have been listening to just how offensive you can be when you set your mind to it.

And wrong.

To help you this time, I'll just lock the thread.

Perhaps you can find a more current one.

/closed

Reactions: UncleMike
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones