• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can you get app backups from a TWRP nandroid?

On the OG there was an application written by the epic akazabam, but I'm not 100% sure if that utility will work for TWRP nandroids.

I'm also having a little difficulty finding the tool he created. :(

I'll keep looking when I get time, hopefully one of the others in here remember that tool and know where it is. :)

I think it came up in more than one thread, and may have been more than one tool he made, as well, not sure. But, here is one post he wrote on the subject.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/319602-read-copy-contents-nandroid-backups.html

Upvote 0
On the OG there was an application written by the epic akazabam, but I'm not 100% sure if that utility will work for TWRP nandroids.

I'm also having a little difficulty finding the tool he created. :(

I'll keep looking when I get time, hopefully one of the others in here remember that tool and know where it is. :)

neither the original version or the updated version that I did will work with twrp recovery. Unandroid will only work on Clockwork Mod and Amon RA / Style/Smelkus.

We were not sure of the availability to get the functions to extract into the updated version so just stuck with the previous two mentioned.

Upvote 0
What I have found in Linux with this is you unzip the "data.ext4.win" file this will give you "data.ext4" extract that and all your data files are there. Allow it enough time to extract everything before digging in remember its a very large file. Also keep in mind it will display to you (The User) the more cryptic name

com.android.myapp.apk instead of AppWithTheLongestCoolestNameEver.apk

If using windows I am assuming that 7zip will be needed for this file

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I just stumbled across something interesting for those with Cygwin on Windows or with *nix (Mac or Linux) - TWRP backups are simple POSIX tar files.

To decompress one, it's a simple matter of -

tar xvf file-name

Skip the md5 files.

Enjoy! :)

Edit and ps - evidently 7zip can deal with tar files as well - http://www.7-zip.org/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones