1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can you get app backups from a TWRP nandroid?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by windsorclarenc, Aug 22, 2012.

1. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Android Enthusiast

I got LTEvo 3 unlocked and rooted. But I lost all of my apps when LTEvo 2 died. But I have nandroids on my SD card. Could I get the apps out of a TWRP nandroid?

And not related to above, but can you downgrade your bootloader?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

On the OG there was an application written by the epic akazabam, but I'm not 100% sure if that utility will work for TWRP nandroids.

I'm also having a little difficulty finding the tool he created. :(

I'll keep looking when I get time, hopefully one of the others in here remember that tool and know where it is. :)

ocnbrze and argedion like this.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

On a Mac (therefore I presume Linux as well) you can double-click the file and it will decompress - should be a similar method in Windows. I think that you're on Windows but wanted to toss that out for others.

And yes, you can get your stuff out of /data/app and /data/data for your apps+data.

Granite1 and argedion like this.
  4. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

I have Titanium backup pro. In it's menu is the option to 'extract from nandroid backup' .

I just checked it out on one nand, it listed the apps in the nand. i didn't take it all the way but there was the option to get app and data, app or data only.

Granite1 and argedion like this.
  5. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

I think it came up in more than one thread, and may have been more than one tool he made, as well, not sure. But, here is one post he wrote on the subject.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/319602-read-copy-contents-nandroid-backups.html

Granite1, ocnbrze and argedion like this.
  6. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

neither the original version or the updated version that I did will work with twrp recovery. Unandroid will only work on Clockwork Mod and Amon RA / Style/Smelkus.

We were not sure of the availability to get the functions to extract into the updated version so just stuck with the previous two mentioned.

Granite1 and ocnbrze like this.
  7. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

What I have found in Linux with this is you unzip the "data.ext4.win" file this will give you "data.ext4" extract that and all your data files are there. Allow it enough time to extract everything before digging in remember its a very large file. Also keep in mind it will display to you (The User) the more cryptic name

com.android.myapp.apk instead of AppWithTheLongestCoolestNameEver.apk

If using windows I am assuming that 7zip will be needed for this file

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Android Enthusiast

Whoa thanks guys. I didn't think there would be so many avenues to take. So it seems this is very possible. I'll have to take a whack at this when I get off of work.

9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

I just stumbled across something interesting for those with Cygwin on Windows or with *nix (Mac or Linux) - TWRP backups are simple POSIX tar files.

To decompress one, it's a simple matter of -

tar xvf file-name

Skip the md5 files.

Enjoy! :)

Edit and ps - evidently 7zip can deal with tar files as well - http://www.7-zip.org/

WolfRain, jaycrewz, dustwun77 and 2 others like this.

HTC EVO 4G LTE Forum

The HTC EVO 4G LTE release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2000mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews