• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot root HTC Desire S.

Hi. I'm having trouble with an old(ish) HTC Desire S, I'd like to update it to a later version of the OS without Sense if possible

I'm having very confusing problems:

My USB won't find the PC (I'm using an official new Sony charge/data hybrid cable from my Z5 Compact which works with every other phone I have).
If I can't find the phone on PC, I can't root root and then I can't put the ROM on.

I'm stuck on Gingerbread at the moment. Please, someone help.

Hi. I'm having trouble with an old(ish) HTC Desire S, I'd like to update it to a later version of the OS without Sense if possible

I'm having very confusing problems:

My USB won't find the PC (I'm using an official new Sony charge/data hybrid cable from my Z5 Compact which works with every other phone I have).
If I can't find the phone on PC, I can't root root and then I can't put the ROM on.

I'm stuck on Gingerbread at the moment. Please, someone help.
When you say the PC cannot see the phone... Do you have USB debugging enabled? Do you have the USB drivers installed on your PC and what OS version does your PC run?

Upvote 0
Yeah, with PC's it's usually a driver question in the end.

Have a look in our Desire S root forum, especially the sticky threads at the top. You should find rooting recipes in there.

If you intend to unlock the bootloader then you'll need fastboot drivers for the device. If you go to HTCdev.com and follow the instructions for unlocking the bootloader you'll be presented with the download links for all of the necessary software during the process. Do note that unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device, so back up everything important first.

Upvote 0
I would think the easiest solution is to find a different USB cable and give it a try. Have you checked to see if you're using USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 ports on the PC as well?
Didn't think it'd make a difference, will try it...

*edit*
nope, doesn't work as a disk drive on my USB3 or US2 hub.

Yes I've set it to ask and as act as a disk drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guggy
Upvote 0
nope, doesn't work as a disk drive on my USB3 or US2 hub.

Can you use a backplane port i.e. a USB port connected directly to the PC mainboard? My old Desire Z would never be recognised if I used the front-panel USB ports or my extension hub. It had to be connected to a rear port or it wouldn't play.

Other random thoughts...

If you have Xperia Companion installed (for the Z5), uninstall it and HTC Sync, reboot then install HTC Sync only and retry. It could be the two drivers are somehow conflicting. If you have success with the Desire S then you can reinstall Companion later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones