• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help can't delete secondary email account

this morning i noticed that my secondary email account (it's an imap google server, but not the main account) stopped syncing. when i hit the sync button i got a response saying 'unable to connect to imap.vzw.net'

when i couldn't change/check the imap settings, i tried to delete the account, but it wouldn't let me. when i go into account settings and try to remove the account it lags on 'removing account' and then eventually tells me it is unable to remove the account.

i called verizon and spoke to both a verizon and motorola rep and both said that i would have to do a master reset on the phone. after looking at several forums, i'm hoping someone has a better solution... :thinking:

That didn't work. There are 4 email apps, email, email accounts, email engine and email authenticator. You can't clear the cache for email accounts, which I think is the one that needs to be done. It's grayed out, but it does have some data. I cleared cache of all the others and force stopped all of them, and still can't delete the account.

I also tried creating a second email account thinking maybe the reason I couldn't delete the first was because it was the default. Now I can't delete either of them.

Upvote 0
That didn't work. There are 4 email apps, email, email accounts, email engine and email authenticator. You can't clear the cache for email accounts, which I think is the one that needs to be done. It's grayed out, but it does have some data. I cleared cache of all the others and force stopped all of them, and still can't delete the account.

I also tried creating a second email account thinking maybe the reason I couldn't delete the first was because it was the default. Now I can't delete either of them.

I do not know if you are rooted, but maybe it is possible to clear cache for accounts in TiB?

Upvote 0
Assuming you've tried a reboot...

Go to menu/settings/manage apps. Find the email app (and other email related apps if necessary) and clear data. It'll wipe everything related to just those apps and should prevent a full factory reset.

ok, on my razr maxx, i went to Menu, Settings, Applications, Manage applications, All, then found all the email apps with the "@" and clicked them one by one and clicked the "Clear data" button.

it cleared the emails, but the accounts are still there ! i set the account to update manually, but i want them gone.

any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones