1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't enable debugging to root phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by engineerkate, Apr 24, 2012.

1. engineerkate

engineerkate Lurker

OK. Background. I rooted my phone when it was 2.2.1 and life was good. Then one day I decided to connect my phone to the ole 'puter to get the pictures off and free up some space. Stupidly, I let my phone update to 2.2.2, which un-rooted it. :mad:

I went to the 2.2.2 3 click rooting guide which seemed to be a-ok until I tried to boot into recovery mode and the darned thing got locked into fastboot. I made it through the instructions to unbrick (thank you so much) and ended up with a zeroed phone. Made it through the instructions to get service back (freaking YAY!) and now i want to root again.

:hmmmm2: The problem. On the phone there are supposed to be the icons for turning USB mass storage on and off and for enabling debugging. I don't get the debugging icon when I plug in via usb. I need to enable debugging to root the thing!

When I check under device manager, the phone shows as unknown device. I downloaded the usb driver from lg and ran it, and nothing seems to have changed.

Help, I hate the bloatware, it makes me nuts. Thanks. :hello2:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid

Turn off USB mass storage.....u need to go to Settings>applications>development>USB debugging and enable it

Still don't work? Reboot phone and if it still don't work, reboot your computer.
    If it still don't work make sure you're not using a USB HUB and its connected to the back of the computer, if its a laptop don't use a usb splitter, connect straight to your USB port. Still wont work? Go to about phone and see if it says "charging(USB)" and not "charging(AC)/(DC)"
    if it says charging AC/DC then make sure you're using the cord that came with your phone or an OEM cord. If you are then your USB cable needs to be replaced. But I would try to redo the unbrick first....it may just be a bad flash....