• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't find Google Maps 4.0 in Android Market / Nexus 2.1 update 1

when I updated, I got 4.0 - i don't know how much clearer I can be. Why others aren't getting 4.0, who knows. Maybe it has to do with the build for some reason?? I got my Nexus last Friday. Charged it. First thing I did after that was do the update. 4.0 got loaded on. In 'About' for Maps, I see Ver. 4.0.0 (#4046).

The first thing you did after installing 2.1-update 1 was check your Google Maps version number, not play with pinch to zoom??

Gibson is right though, Update 1 included Google Maps 3.4 which brought features such as starred favorites and night mode for navigation. Version 4 was released soon thereafter to include Buzz integration. Perhaps you missed the "3" in 3.4 when you checked or you forget that you updated to 4.0 when you got the marketplace notification?

Upvote 0
Last night I rooted my phone and put on the CyanogenMod5 Rom. Then I checked the market -- still no sign of googlemaps.

Then, I installed market enabler and spoofed my location so the market would think I was connecting from the US. Now, I can see the maps and was able to upgrade to the latest version.

So, it would appear that the theory that maps can only be downloaded in countries where paid apps are available is true.

Upvote 0
wow - that sucks, but glad to hear there is a work around (this spoofer app you speak of)

The app is called market enabler, but you have to be rooted, unfortunately. Mind you, I have no regrets -- cyanodenMod5 is really snappy and full of cool little tricks.

For example, you can flip the phone around a full 360 degrees and the accelerometer will reorient the page every time :)

Upvote 0
will it reorient the home screens to landscape? (kinda like when you slide out the keyboard on a moto droid?)

that would be cool if it did...

An easy way to do this does exist on non-rooted (and rooted of course!) phones. You can download the HelixLauncher free from the market. When I ran it the first time, it deleted a lot of my shortcuts, but I like it now that I'm set up again. You can have up to 7 screens and you can see them all with a double tap. You also have four shortcuts along the bottom that are always on every screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones