• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Captivate Root

Tether app is blocked by AT&T. There are several different ways you can install that, posted on the forum.

I am thinking that if you find the side-loading thread mentioned earlier, that you may be able to load it then. If not, another method is to sign up for App Brain, and use thier install. I've read that AT&T didn't block them, and that you don't need to do side loading setup for App Brain. (Not sure if that's true, as I haven't tried myself).

Ohh i was just wondering if i did anything thing wrong for the install. I found a way to install the tether using the androidsdk adb. I was just looking for program to install to make sure my superuser was setup correctly

Upvote 0
I'm having next to zero luck connecting the Captivate to the PC. Maybe its just because I'm normally a Mac user but I got the Windows 7 driver connected the phone once, then disconnected it for a moment.
When I then went to connect it again the Captivate says USB Connection on top, but the computer never reads it and the device does not show up anywhere under "Computer"
Maybe I just need to try and connect it with my Mac, are their OS X drivers available someplace other than the Samsung website?

Upvote 0
I'm having next to zero luck connecting the Captivate to the PC. Maybe its just because I'm normally a Mac user but I got the Windows 7 driver connected the phone once, then disconnected it for a moment.
When I then went to connect it again the Captivate says USB Connection on top, but the computer never reads it and the device does not show up anywhere under "Computer"
Maybe I just need to try and connect it with my Mac, are their OS X drivers available someplace other than the Samsung website?

Drazz, are you wanting to connect it to the computer just for file transfer, or for ADB access?

Upvote 0
since this is rooted, does it mean somebody would find a way to enable Fm Radio on the captivate. Out of AT&T contract and a iTunes hater and being waiting for something good on AT&T. Like the screen and processor and everything, but for me personally, I need my NPR fix on the commute every morning. FM Radio seems like a must for me :(

Upvote 0
hello all,

I am new to the Android world and the captivate is my first android phone. I rooted it and everything went smooth.

But, being new to android I have know idea what i am able to do. Can someone tell me the benefits of why rooting my phone was the thing to do? is there a website that can explain to me all that i can do now that i have "superuser permissions?"

Upvote 0
Hello all! New to Android and rooting. i am trying to get into recovery mode but can't. I am holding the up/down buttons when turning on the phone. Do I keep holding them or release at some point? thanks!!

Captivate rocks!!!

let go of the power button once u see the boot logo, then continue holding the volume buttons till it hits recovery menu. otherwise it'll bootloop

Upvote 0
I rooted mine last night.

A couple things:

1. You MUST install the Samsung USB driver. Without it, the computer will not
recognize the phone.

2. You must MOUNT your memory (using the drop down slider on the phone) or your
system will not allow you to read/write to the card/internal memory.

3. When I got the downloading screen, I waited for a few minutes, then just powered
off the phone. Worked fine. I believe that warning is only an issue when you are actually installing system software. This is a different animal.

4. The way I got mine into recovery was to hold down UP+DOWN+POWER with the
phone unplugged. I got the white AT&T screen, plugged in the phone and reheld UP+DOWN+POWER again. Popped into recovery mode.

5. Make sure you are putting the UPDATE.ZIP file in the right folder. When I copied
mine over to my SD card, it put it in /sdcard/sd It needs to be in /sdcard. I used
the file manager in the phone to move the file to the right folder. After that, it found
the file and ran fine.

6. Took approx 20 secs, then rebooted. When it finished booting I had the SUPERUSER icon in place and voila.

Hope this helps. If you brick your phone following my directions, tough titty, but
this is pretty much exactly how I got mine to work. Good luck!

Reactions: nessenj
Upvote 0
alright! i am now rooted......now what? lol, excuse my noobness. this is my first android phone and ive done some research on the benefits of rooting. i am having trouble finding what i need to do to personally customize my phone and get rid of the bloat apps from att. when i search i mostly find links on "how to root", but cant seem to find what to do after you are rooted. can someone point me to the right direction? thanks in advance everyone!

Upvote 0
I did the entire root process straight from my phone! I originally tried to download the update.zip file with the default browser. It said "this content type is not supported"! WTF? Who makes a browser that can't download zip files?

I used Skyfire to download the zip file, then renamed it and put it in the root with file manager. Performed the steps and worked like a champ! I'm running Titanium backup now to get a good backup before I get rid of these AT&Greed apps! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones