• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Apps safe to remove after root

Not yet...

I literally laughed out loud at that thread. My hubby would sympathize with her though. Good thing he has his basketball and soccer. We have our stuff we do together and then when he's gone...well, I'm messing with one of the phones!

It is so funny because he'll go to get on his business phone and say, "OK, baby, where's the <insert app here>? You've moved things on me again!" I try to do most of the stuff on my own phone but the thing is, a new phone comes out and I get an upgrade I can use and the next thing you know I've got another phone so he gets my old one and...yeah...

Upvote 0
ok, back on topic :)

I've removed the obvious ones: spiderman, amazonmp3, green hornet, and all of the Sprint apps. So far, no problems. There's a lot of stuff I want to remove from the list that are HTC apps, but those tend to be integrated with Sense in sometimes non-obvious ways. For example, in the past, I've deleted footprints without seeing any side effects, but footprints is hardcoded as an option on the Car Panel. If you don't use Car Panel, then no worries, but if you do, it could cause problems.

So I tend to be conservative when it comes to removing HTC apps.

Reactions: CarrieK
Upvote 0
Apps I've frozen in TB (may actually delete them later, but frozen for now while I determine stability):

3D Games
Amazon MP3
Android Live Wallpapers
Blockbuster
Calculator
Calculator widget
Car Panel
com.htc.footprints...
Flickr
Footprints
Home Screen Tips
HTC Sense Live Wallpapers
HTC Slide Show Wallpapers
Live Wallpaper
Magic Smoke Wallpaper
Music (Sense music, not Gmusic)
Music Visualization
Music widget
Nascar
News
News Widget
Peep
Profile Widget
Qik Video
Ringtone Widget
Setup
Setup Wizard (Don't disable these unless you have a NANDroid backup)
Spiderman
Sprint *anything*
Stock Widget
Stocks
Tell HTC
Updater

If you start freezing/deleting Sense apps, Sense will crash and reload. Just leave it alone. Your UI will come back.

Upvote 0
ok, what root option are you all using? I guess I missed it

AlphaRevX Revolution - steps are in main thread.

I am still using EStrongs File Explorer to remove and freeze apps.

Mount /system read-write in Settings.

To freeze, add ".sav" after the ".apk" in the the listed app. Remove the ".sav" to unfreeze.

To remove, delete the apk and accompanying odex file (if any).

Long press on the filename to bring up the option you need.

Remember to go back into Settings and uncheck the system from being writable when done.

Upvote 0
ive frozen quite a few with no ill effects and they been frozen for well over a week so i think there safe to remove now but heres the list

Android live wallpapers
auto-sync
burgundy
car panel
com.htc.footprints
connected media
dock mode
flickr
footprints
friend stream
friend stream friend stream widget
home screen tips
htc likes
htc likes widget
htc mobile guide
htc sense live wallpapers
htc slide show wallpapers
live wallpapers
media share
music
music visualization
music widget
nsacar
news
news widget
peep
photo grid
photo widget
picasa web albums
polaris office
profile widget
qik video
quick lookup
reader
ringtone trimmer
ringtone widget
spider-man
sprint hotspot
sprint installer
sprint mobile walet
sprint radio
sprint tv and movies
sprint zone
stock widget
sotcks
stockes
streak live wallpaper
streaming media
swypet
telenav gps
the green hornet
tips for home
transfer
trends widget
trim it
twitter widget
updater
watch
watch widget

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
I have Titanium Backup, but I'm not seeing an option to "freeze" apps. Could you clarify?

G

I don't think you can freeze apps if you have the free version. If you have the paid version just tap on the name of the app in the Backup/Restore tab & the option to freeze should be there. I think there are free back up programs that do the same things the paid version of TB but I don't know what they are.

Reactions: grepper
Upvote 0
If you want to go the absolute free route, grab ES File Explorer and go into the /system/app folder and change the extension on the app you want to 'freeze' to ".apk.bak" or something. You don't have to remove the files.

Also, remember to go into settings and check Mount File System, else you'll get something about files being read only.

Reactions: grepper
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones