• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] bootloop from hell

mteezey

Android Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2011
Detroit,MI
As you can see from my other thread i started i started running mik runny yesterday. I dont know if it was somethign with the rom but. I just updated my prl on dfs and once i went to reboot it wont go past the white htc screen and just keeps bootlooping. I cannot figure it out. Ive wiped everything muiltiple times. my nanadroids do the same thing. New roms too. I even did a factory reset. i dont get it My recovery and fastboot still work though. any other suggestions?

Update: Flashed a new recovery img. i was using twrp2.0 i flashed twrp 1.3 to see if i had any luck with that but no dice. Im downloading the latest RUU now and hopefully that will fix it. Im guessing if it doesnt then something happened to my phone. If im not mistaken flashing the PG86IMG will flash all the partitions so there would be no reason for it to not work unless of course something happened to the hardware?

Btw Hboot 1.4 and running mikrunny when the bootloop started. Im super confused since it booted fine for me numerous times. The only thing i changed before this reboot was prl and i turned fastboot off earlier. one other thing im downloading RUU_Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5 radio 1.00.1216 this isnt going to affect my hboot once flashing right? even if i have to re root thats fine i just dont wanna get stuck in 1.5 prison

I would not flash that RUU if you want to keep HBOOT 1.4, if I were you. I think one of the older RUUs would be fine, but I don't know what versions they were.

Do you have a SD media reader? I would back up that SD card to your computer then reformat it (as FAT32, remember). Then just put a freshly downloaded ROM onto it (or check MD5 codes to ensure the ROM is not corrupted). Reflash and reboot.

If you don't have a media reader, then you can go into USB host mode in TWRP. I forget where it is in 1.1, but it's there somewhere. You can backup your files and delete all from there, but a reformat is preferred.

I had a similar problem with my Droid X a long time ago. Found out that there was something on the SD card causing the ROM to flash wrong.

Reactions: mteezey
Upvote 0
my bootloader is still 1.4 right now. I havent ran the RUU yet though. I am worried about that though i am flashed to metro so i really need root access. I was hoping someone would tell me if that will mess with my hboot. I cant remember if thats part the pg86img or not. If it is im gonna downlaod an older one. At this point i have no choice i think i have done evrything possible.

Thnks jerfld we must have been writing at the same time. I got the factory sd card still im gonna pop that in and see what happens. THe thing i dont get is this didnt happen right from the flash. I had 11 hours of uptime when i rebooted and it started doing that. i rebooted a couple times last night just fine. but turned fastboot off this morning.

Upvote 0
thanks donb. I was checking that out earlier too. The only reson i didnt grab that one was jut how it said they must be flashed in recovery. I was hoping to find a PG86img to flash. Im pretty sure the issue is something with the boot partition. Im wondering if i do the firmware update nohboot from there and then try reflashing if it will work. At this point my brain is going so may directions i cant remember what does what. if i end up doing something that turns s-on im really gonna be screwed. Will the firmware update be fine to do then i can just try to flash somethign in recovery afterwards?

Upvote 0
my bootloader is still 1.4 right now. I havent ran the RUU yet though. I am worried about that though i am flashed to metro so i really need root access. I was hoping someone would tell me if that will mess with my hboot. I cant remember if thats part the pg86img or not. If it is im gonna downlaod an older one. At this point i have no choice i think i have done evrything possible.

Thnks jerfld we must have been writing at the same time. I got the factory sd card still im gonna pop that in and see what happens. THe thing i dont get is this didnt happen right from the flash. I had 11 hours of uptime when i rebooted and it started doing that. i rebooted a couple times last night just fine. but turned fastboot off this morning.

My SD card problem on my DX happened a day after a flash, too. Although, Android would fully boot before the problems occurred. Just a thought, as it is an unlikely solution.

Upvote 0
well no luck with the sd car switch or the rom that don recomended. I even did the firmware update. I almost wish i had hboot 1.5 now that way i would be more familiar with using fastboot from the pc. Ive been taking a break fir a while till my girl gets home.

Just follow the same HBOOT 1.5 root instructions. Just don't do the HTC Unlock thing. The fastboot commands are the same.

Upvote 0
Just follow the same HBOOT 1.5 root instructions. Just don't do the HTC Unlock thing. The fastboot commands are the same.

for some reason i cant get any of the fastboot commands to work on my pc thats really the ony reason im worried about the hboot changing. At this point i think im running out of options and gonna have to run the ruu.

Upvote 0
does the phone say connected in fastboot?

It says fastboot usb when im in the bootloader. i can her it connect to pc when i plug in also. Another thing i found was qtadb so downloaded it to see if it would work. I can get my phone to connect to it. but i dont think its made to run cd like that. I dont know what i did wrong i set the paths for everything and have everything i need in my tools folder i just cant get cd to work.

Upvote 0
Ok well I finnally got fastboot commands to work. I had to do the HTC unlock method since it would bootloop before revolutionary could run. So now I can flash to the boot partition but I'm still bootlooping. The one command i really wanted to work (fastboot erase boot) still tells me remote not allowed. I cant figure out what's causing this at this point since nothing will boot I'm determined it is bricked. Does anyone know if there is a combo of keys to boot into diag mode. I wanna check and make sure something didnt go bad there. You would think since i have new firmware now it wouldn't matter ¦Scratching head¦

Upvote 0
Few things, first htc bootloader has many commands removed since it is not the engineering bootloader
second, fastboot erase boot wont work because you can not do that from the bootloader with unlock, if you were s-off then that would be fine
next, since you can get into recovery, have you tried to format everything, maybe a few times then flash a new stock based rom?

without seeing the phone that is about all i can say... You are probably not totally bricked just partially and it has to do with the /boot partition. boot into recovery via fastboot wipe multiple times or try a superwipe 2 times then flash a stock based rom

Upvote 0
Few things, first htc bootloader has many commands removed since it is not the engineering bootloader
second, fastboot erase boot wont work because you can not do that from the bootloader with unlock, if you were s-off then that would be fine
next, since you can get into recovery, have you tried to format everything, maybe a few times then flash a new stock based rom?

without seeing the phone that is about all i can say... You are probably not totally bricked just partially and it has to do with the /boot partition. boot into recovery via fastboot wipe multiple times or try a superwipe 2 times then flash a stock based rom

I have s-off still. I'm gonna flash a new bootloader to see if I can fastboot erase boot. I have wiped everything a million times literally. And it figures all that trouble to get fastboot to work so i could flash cwm. And that version doesn't even have option to mount boot. I have been searching up and down for days now there has to at least be a script that will mount and format the boot partition. I can only find a rom download that has hboot 1.4 I wanna find 1.3 and just flash the hboot. I'm sure that bootloader has the most exploits out if any. Idk at least I bought a new phone so not pressed however the new one I can't get working data. And sometime when I text it says radio interface shortage. I can't win. And I'm worried about flashing any firmware on this one i can't afford another brick.

Upvote 0
I have s-off still. I'm gonna flash a new bootloader to see if I can fastboot erase boot. I have wiped everything a million times literally. And it figures all that trouble to get fastboot to work so i could flash cwm. And that version doesn't even have option to mount boot. I have been searching up and down for days now there has to at least be a script that will mount and format the boot partition. I can only find a rom download that has hboot 1.4 I wanna find 1.3 and just flash the hboot. I'm sure that bootloader has the most exploits out if any. Idk at least I bought a new phone so not pressed however the new one I can't get working data. And sometime when I text it says radio interface shortage. I can't win. And I'm worried about flashing any firmware on this one i can't afford another brick.
i am running the engineering bootloader on mine, i will post link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192306

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones