• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Is the evo 3d gonna gain more developer support?

I am just curious what evryone else thinks . I bought a 3vo the other day I'm going in the morning to get it activated but with my flashing addiction and thrre not being that many roms. I'm not sure if I should keep my og EVO for a while.

that is up to you. i have both. my og evo is just not activated. but i can still use wifi and download apps and play games.

my 3vo is pretty awesome. i think you will be happy about it. performance is much better then on the evo. i can overclock to 1782 with no issue what so ever!!!!!!!

as far as roms go, there is a decent amount of roms to try out. but yes, i agree that the evo communty is much larger then the 3vo community. but you have to remember the 3vo is still a young phone. it will only get better over time.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yea I'm loving it so far I'm already rooted running kings ultra 3d and ziggys shooter kernel and its not even activated yet lol. I agree its crazy fast. Haven't taken it past 1.7 yet this kernel goes to almost 1.9 but I'm sure ill be trying at some point just to see. I was just curious if there was maybe something about the phone not appealing to the dev community since the eco was a hit from day one i thought there would already be more goin for the 3d

Upvote 0
Yea I'm loving it so far I'm already rooted running kings ultra 3d and ziggys shooter kernel and its not even activated yet lol. I agree its crazy fast. Haven't taken it past 1.7 yet this kernel goes to almost 1.9 but I'm sure ill be trying at some point just to see. I was just curious if there was maybe something about the phone not appealing to the dev community since the eco was a hit from day one i thought there would already be more goin for the 3d

two of the bigger devs virus and myn as well as king's team are dev'ing for it. so there should be plenty of roms to try out. and like i said the community is still young. you have to remember that the evo is a well mature community. give it some time.

i'm on the cleanrom with the tiamat kernel and i am getting the best battery life out of that combo. way better then cm7/tiamat combo. i mean we are talking about 30-40 hrs easily.

Upvote 0
Nice. I've been playing around on it via WiFi. And rooting flashing ect. It had a full charge yesterday afternoon when I picked it up and after everything I've done its still at 47%. Given the few minutes here and there it was plugged into the pc to root and transfer files. But I had to keep that to a minimum the old lady doesnt know I got it yet. LOL. Btw I already set the governer up to 18320 and I'm having no issues. Do you know if cm roms have caused any cases of deathloop on these? That's the only thing that I was worried about so I flashed kings.

Upvote 0
No worries, this whole thread is off toppic as its about the 3d and were in the 4g forum. Im not too familiar with that phone as i use these with metro. what a waste right. lol. Its actually not bad. but ocn will be able to give you a better answer than i can when it comes to that. Or any of the other regulars here. im sure someone will see and be able to give you some sort of feedback.

Upvote 0
Sorry to go off topic, but I am actually thinking of getting the Epic 4G Touch in March when I can upgrade. Any thoughts on developer support though? That has become my main criteria ever since I rooted and started flashing.

You know, I was just browsing some of the other forums out of curiosity, and while there seems to be much less development on it, it seems at least one trusted Evo developer has moved on to the ET4G:

[ ROM ] Calkulin's E4GT v2.0.1a [EK02 l Fast l Tweaked l Battery Saver Script]

So there's something. :)

Upvote 0
I'm afraid we've all been extremely spoiled with our great dev support on the EVO. Your not going to be able to upgrade to any phone and expect the same quality dev community right out of the gate.

Also, when the EVO first came out it was a gamechanger. It was THE phone to have. I'm not sure if we will see a dev community that the EVO has on another phone until Sprint launches their next gamechanger....whatever/whenever that happens to be.

Upvote 0
Sorry to go off topic, but I am actually thinking of getting the Epic 4G Touch in March when I can upgrade. Any thoughts on developer support though? That has become my main criteria ever since I rooted and started flashing.
well fo rme i played with the epic touch and i di not like how it felt in my hand. it felt too light and too plastic for me. it just felt cheap and i was not happy with the design. the specs for the phone is just as comparable to the evo3d so i went with the evo 3d. and i'm very happy with my decision so far. i was trying to hold out for the galaxy nexus, but who know when that will come to sprint.
I'm afraid we've all been extremely spoiled with our great dev support on the EVO. Your not going to be able to upgrade to any phone and expect the same quality dev community right out of the gate.

Also, when the EVO first came out it was a gamechanger. It was THE phone to have. I'm not sure if we will see a dev community that the EVO has on another phone until Sprint launches their next gamechanger....whatever/whenever that happens to be.

+1 to everything you just said. the evo dev communtiy is one of its kind. i do not think that you will ever see such a support again for one device. but onky time will tell on how well the devs will support the evo 3d in the long run. right now the dev support is much smaller then it was when the og evo first came out. but is not no means that the community will not grow from where it is at right now.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. My wife runs the old Hero, It's still kickin but for how long?
That phone really is the decision maker in my next upgrade. If it dies early, I'll be getting the 3D. If it hangs on for another 8 to 10 months no telling what will be out.
Obviously I'll be getting an upgrade and the misses will get this beast. I'll obviously cry my eyes out, but at least I'll still have access to it.... :)

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. My wife runs the old Hero, It's still kickin but for how long?
That phone really is the decision maker in my next upgrade. If it dies early, I'll be getting the 3D. If it hangs on for another 8 to 10 months no telling what will be out.
Obviously I'll be getting an upgrade and the misses will get this beast. I'll obviously cry my eyes out, but at least I'll still have access to it.... :)

That's basically the exact situation I'm in. I have the EVO, wife has a Hero. Rooting saved the Hero from being thrown out the window. Our upgrades are on alternating years though, so I figure I'll just take the new phone each year and she'll get the one year old phone. She could care less since she basically just plays solitaire on it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I was just curious if there was maybe something about the phone not appealing to the dev community since the eco was a hit from day one i thought there would already be more goin for the 3d

The dev community will come eventually but my feeling is since Sprint gave up on the 1 year upgrades and now everyone is on a 2 year upgrade plan, most people will not shell out the money for a new phone until their upgrade comes. Anyways, I'm getting the Asus prime so having a quad core tablet will keep me from doing an upgrade for a while.

You know, I was just browsing some of the other forums out of curiosity, and while there seems to be much less development on it, it seems at least one trusted Evo developer has moved on to the ET4G:

[ ROM ] Calkulin's E4GT v2.0.1a [EK02 l Fast l Tweaked l Battery Saver Script]

So there's something. :)

I've always liked Calkulin's roms, sad to see he left the Evo:(

The hero still has decent support, unfortunately, it's now in the old devices section on xda. But I would follow JayBob, he's always done great work. Curious as to what phone he will get next

Reactions: psousa781
Upvote 0
I think most of you are right -- the Evo was a game-changer that drew tons of great devs, and with the deluge of new phones that keep coming to market, I doubt any phone will have the same support it does... but the good thing is that there seems to be at least one or two trusted Evo developers on several newer phones. And less developers may help curb my flashing addiction, maybe help me wean myself away from forums and go back to more intellectual pursuits? Or not. ;)

I've only had my Evo since April, but I have an upgrade coming up again in April (put my mom on my account long ago, who only likes flip-phones, so I also get an upgrade a year), and honestly I'll probably hold off and keep the Evo through at least summer to see what develops with Sprint's LTE plans and corresponding phones. And then by then, I'll probably just see which phone mik and/or tommy choose, and pick that one. ;)

Reactions: psousa781
Upvote 0
...I'll probably hold off and keep the Evo through at least summer to see what develops with Sprint's LTE plans and corresponding phones.

I read that the CFO of Sprint said their LTE phones won't be out until 3/4Q 2012. I figure at that point I can just wait til my upgrade in March of 2013 to pick one of them up.

And then by then, I'll probably just see which phone mik and/or tommy choose, and pick that one. ;)

Good plan, didn't even think about seeing what specific devs do.

Upvote 0
I'm going to agree that this will get more info in the Evo 3D forum - moved. ;) :)

My apologies for posting where I did I just out it there since were all pretty familiar with one another over there. I honestly didn't think that many people would respond. And I really didn't expect anyone to get mad. I just git an apology pm. From someone about saying some rude things to me about posting but I guess he misunderstood what 3vo meant. I didn't see what he said not that it would matter everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Long story short ill make sure to post where it belongs to save on confusion.

Upvote 0
I don't see very many more great devs coming to the e3d. We got a few very talented devs from the start, but a lot of the pioneers have moved on and we're left with a handful of guys that are producing some pretty good roms.

As mentioned above it will be a while (if it ever happens again) before a phone comes out that everyone agrees is the phone to have like the evo4g was. Now everyone is so spread out I doubt we'll ever see a phone with the dev support like the evo had again.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
My apologies for posting where I did I just out it there since were all pretty familiar with one another over there. I honestly didn't think that many people would respond. And I really didn't expect anyone to get mad. I just git an apology pm. From someone about saying some rude things to me about posting but I guess he misunderstood what 3vo meant. I didn't see what he said not that it would matter everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Long story short ill make sure to post where it belongs to save on confusion.

That was me, and I also want to make a public apology for anyone here that read what I posted.

I apologize for flying off the handle and name calling mteezey and making asumptions that he did not know what he was talking about. I did not read carefully about this thread, and I assumed, since this is a forum for EVO 4G, I did not know that the slang for the 3D EVO is 3VO. BUT, that is no excuse for my comments. they were deleted and I received reprimand from the Mods. I was not having a good day personally and should not have posted, at all!

I have always tried to be as helpful as I can be to any newbies to the forums and those that are unsure about rooting a phone, or ROM, or whatever. I was there too, and was scared to death, and I definitely did not then, nor now to see someone post as I did in this thread. Lesson learned and it will not be repeated.

mteezey, I also want to directly apologize in public, even though you did not see it, I made a mistake, and will never do anything like that again.

Upvote 0
I think another issue is that this phone is near perfect. One of the main reasons devs do things for phones is that the phones need some sort of fix...whether it is performance or battery life or whatever. Most of us here like to fix stuff. With the 4G it was battery life. MANY people rooted for the sole purpose of finding a solution to their poor battery life. All of the past Android phones(ie Hero, Moment) were damn near useless without rooting or at the very least they would drive you crazy with their idiosyncrasies. The 3vo comes right out of the box with smoking performance and at least above average battery life. When you root this phone, you are rooting just because you want to tinker with it...not because it needs fixing like past phones. So we and the devs get bored and move on. Simple as that. There was always something imperfect about the 4G that kept us looking forward to the next ROM. That simply doesn't happen on this phone. It works perfectly. I run CleanRom and it runs very nicely. Thanks to Mr. Crosler for fueling our addiction!!!!

Maybe look to a Samsung phone if you want to tinker. They still suck...IMO My boredom caused my eyes to wander over to that forum and I see some of the problems Samsung has had in the past still linger in their newest devices. No thanks. HTC makes excellent devices!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones