• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Ota warning EVEN WITH S-OFF(read post #24)

Well there's also the interesting development that as of April 2011, Sprint now services rooted phones. Really makes you wonder to what extent they would "service" the phone before playing the insurance card.
Very interesting, do you have any reference information on this? I was not aware that Sprint's official policy had changed on this.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Another sprint tech here. Whether or not a store will work on your rooted phone is very much a case by case issue. Most of sprint's repair centers are owned by 3rd party companies, this means that policies can vary. Personally, I will do hardware related repairs or replacements on rooted phones no problem. Software issues on your custom rom are a different story though.

Upvote 0
Very interesting, do you have any reference information on this? I was not aware that Sprint's official policy had changed on this.

Thanks!!

This was originally posted by Lokifish Marz over at xda, but very recently he got pissed and has swore off xda. At the same time, he erased all of his posts. I got this from Google's cache.

1. As of April of 2011 Sprint services rooted phones.

2. You are not eligible for replacement/repair because you device is scratched, dirty, or the paint is wearing off

3. Even if you don't have TEP, ERP, ESRP you are still covered, at no charge, for the following: software updates, phonebook swaps, customer education

4. TEP, ESRP covers, at no charge: defective/cracked screens with no more than 2 cracks that are less than 1 inch long, mechanical or electrical failure, broken hinge/lens/port (provided the mainboard still functions and in the case of ports, the solder pads are not missing from the board). If you don't have TEP or ESRP or it's $35.

5. TEP/ERP covers device replacement with the payment of a $50 or $100 deductible in the following cases: screen has more than two cracks, screen has cracks more than 1 inch long, liquid damage, housing has more than two cracks, flip assembly or keyboard is separated or missing, total device failure, circuit board damage (like the microusb connector's solder pads missing from the board), smashed, lost/stolen. If you don't have TEP or ERP, you have to buy a new phone.

6. Sprint does not/cannot roll your phone back to 2.2

7. If you bring you rooted phone in for software issues expect to get it back unrooted and flashed to the latest software. If it's hardware it's up to the tech but policy is no repairs are to be started til after the phone is unrooted and flashed to the latest software.

7. If you bring you rooted phone in for service because you screwed up I will try to fix it but reserve the right to laugh at you, unroot your phone and flash it to the latest software and laugh at you some more.

8. Sprint Authorized Independent Service Centers can service/exchange damaged phones.

9. Taking your phone to an Authorized Independent Service Center does not void your warranty or TEP/ERP/ESRP coverage.

10.Not all stores can provide you with in store replacements for your defective device. The store needs to be an Authorized Exchange Location. AEL stores generally do not have the replacements in stock and order them when it is determined that a phone needs replacing. It takes a couple days to get the replacement in and you will need to return to the store with your defective phone to process the exchange.

11.General tips when dropping off a phone for service (not Sprint policy but very helpful):

A. Be detailed about the issues you are having. "Drops calls" tells us close to nothing. "Drops calls in a particular area(s) or only when on a charger" saves us a lot of time.

B. If you phone doesn't charge, bring in ALL the chargers you use for your phone.

C. If a service (voice, text, web, etc..) stops working. Call Cust. Service to check for network issues. Even if they say "No", stop by a local repair center and ask them. If there is an outage or known network issue, don't check the phone in for service for a network issue. The other way to look at this is you had to wait 4hrs to get your phone serviced because 20 people just checked their phones in because texting doesn't work during a national text msg outage.

D. Treat the reps and techs the they way you would like to be treated and expect to be treated the same.

E. To properly diagnose a phone takes time. Expect an hour wait on any kind of diag/repair unless it's obvious (like a cracked screen). If they get it done sooner remember that is the exception and not the rule. (this is coming from a tech that works in a service center that has only two techs and processes over 700 tickets a month)

12.Any Authorized Exchange Location should be able to swap "up" to a Nexus or Shift unless that specific location has been restricted from doing so.

I will try to answer any questions regarding policy and will also attempt to assist those that are getting the "Sprint doesn't work on rooted phones" BS.. My answers will be based on Sprint policy not your local store's or customer service's opinion of what policy is.

Hopefully this will get stickied as wading through thread upon thread of complete BS concerning Sprint's S&R policy is getting a bit tiresome.

Upvote 0
thanks to scrosler and a few others we have conformation on what this ota does when you take it via the ruu.

You may keep s-off
you will get upgraded to hboot 1.5
your hboot will read locked at the top
to get root you must root via htc

this info is for upgrading via the ruu and your results may vary.
since the ruu is the ota updated packed unchanged into a zip file you should expect the same if you upgrade via ota.

so what i am saying is be wary, you may maintain s-off but you will lock your bootloader. everyone may experience this differently but this has happened a few times so far.

this is a friendly warning so take it as what it is.

UPDATE: I have confirmed that even with S-ON you can now flash overclocking kernels (For the proper OS version)!

So to clarify, if you use the HTC Unlock method you can indeed flash any ROM and kernel you choose. S-ON / S-OFF is no longer relevant!

To flash a custom kernel with S-ON see here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] HTC Unlock for Hboot 1.50 + Root + TWRP Recovery

This is excellent news!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones