• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Restoring backup with TWRP is not working

MaxPower1

Jan 3, 2011
I flashed MeanROM ICS V0.4 but the phone got stuck in a bootloop so I am trying to restore a backup a created last week. I was able to restore it last night but today when it gets past the HTC screen the screen just stays blank. The buttons at the bottom are lit up but nothing happens. I tried clearing cache a doing a factory reset but I get the same results. I tried flashing CleanROM 3.92 again but I get the same results. Any ideas?

You're on HBOOT 1.5 right? Are you following the quick guide of my root guide?

Quick Guide) Flashing another ROM

Let's say you want to flash a new ROM. Here's how to do it:

If you're starting in Android, connect your USB cable. Then click Start and either open Run, or click in the text box in your start menu. Then type 'cmd'. You get a command prompt. Now what you type or copy/paste will depend on your version of Windows and where you installed the Android SDK.

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
When the bootloader appears, type:

Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
You're now in recovery. Make a backup if you wish, then:

1) Go to Wipe Menu

A) Wipe Cache
B) Wipe Dalvik Cache
OPTIONAL) Wipe Everything (Data Factory Reset) - This is useful if you have problems with flashing certain ROMS. Some ROMs require this before flashing. For the stock ROM, this isn't necessary. But if you're on HBOOT 1.5 and used HTC Dev, you did a factory reset anyways, so it can't hurt.

2) Go back and now go to Install Zip.

A) Choose Zip
B) Go to the folder ROMs/
C) Select the ROM you want to flash (Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip for example)
D) If you're flashing another kernel, you would find your kernel and by selecting Choose Zip and finding the kernel file. The kernel must be selected AFTER the ROM is selected, or else the kernel built into the ROM will overwrite the kernel you want to flash.
E) Check 'Reboot After Successful Flash' - this is just a nice feature of TWRP that makes it so you don't have to pay attention to the flashing process.
F) Flash Zips Now

3) Sit back and relax. The flash is going to take 3 or so minutes. Then it'll reboot. The reboot will take 5 minutes or so and will always take 5 minutes or so every time you clear out the cache and dalvik cache. It is normal. So let it do it's thing. If 10 minutes goes by, check for bootlooping. Every boot animation has a start animation and then a repeat animation. If you see the start animation a second time in a boot cycle, you may have a bootloop problem. If so, pull out the battery (or push vol up + down + power) then push vol down + power to get into the bootloader. Your USB cable should be connected still, so make sure it shows 'FASTBOOT USB' again. If so, type 'fastboot boot recovery.img' in the command prompt to go back into recovery. Wipe everything again (data, dalvik and cache) and try a reflash.

If successful, congradulations! Enjoy the new ROM/Kernel!

Reactions: MaxPower1
Upvote 0
OK, I didn't I had to go through that to flash kernels and ROMs but I reflashed the kernel through the PC and I got past the empty screen but not past the spinning Android from the startup screen. I wiped everything and restored the backup but still couldn't get past the startup screen . I had to wipe everything and install the ROM from scratch.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones