• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Wireless tether

libai8268

Apr 22, 2010
So I just rooted my EVO 3D by using the HTC way. After opening wireless tether, it says I don't have the correct Kernel to launch this program. I was wondering if there's any kernel that supports wireless tether?

BTW I don't wanna flash any rom. I like my sense. Thanks

I am rooted and also on stock and works fine, you need to be using the Beta version of Wifitether. WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-beta5

Settings that works for me:

Version (latest on code.google.com): 3.1-beta5
Device-Profile: HTC Evo 3D
Setup-Method: Auto
Enable WiFi-Encryption: On
Passphrase: hey wait a minute I'm not telling you that!!!
Hide SSID: Off
Change Channel: didn't touch it
WiFi-driver reload: On (which was the default)
Enable Access-Control: On
Change Lan: didn't touch it
MSS clamping: On
Routing fix: On
Change preferred DNS: didn't touch it
Change alternate DNS: didn't touch it

So I just rooted my EVO 3D by using the HTC way. After opening wireless tether, it says I don't have the correct Kernel to launch this program. I was wondering if there's any kernel that supports wireless tether?

BTW I don't wanna flash any rom. I like my sense. Thanks

Upvote 0
I am rooted and also on stock and works fine, you need to be using the Beta version of Wifitether. WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-beta5

Settings that works for me:

Version (latest on code.google.com): 3.1-beta5
Device-Profile: HTC Evo 3D
Setup-Method: Auto
Enable WiFi-Encryption: On
Passphrase: hey wait a minute I'm not telling you that!!!
Hide SSID: Off
Change Channel: didn't touch it
WiFi-driver reload: On (which was the default)
Enable Access-Control: On
Change Lan: didn't touch it
MSS clamping: On
Routing fix: On
Change preferred DNS: didn't touch it
Change alternate DNS: didn't touch it

Thanks for the solution. However, it didn't work for me. I started it with your settings, it says wifi tether started with error, please check log. When I open log, it shows there's no log. I tried to turn off the wifi tether, then it would keep loading and try to stop tethering. Any suggestion?

Upvote 0
I think there's something wrong with my su. Here is the message, Barnacle requires su to access the hardware! Please, make sure you have root access.

I checked, so my phone is unlocked but it's S-on. The only thing I did is follow the HTC official unlock method. Is there anything more I need to do?
did you flash the su zip? and custom recovery?
if not, you are just unlocked, not rooted

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
FYI, there are plenty of Sense-based ROMs that you may like. Not trying to push you towards any of them, or anything like that, but if you're looking for additional functionality (in the future), get a new ROM. Just stay away from 2.3.3 ROMs and ROMs that are named AOSP (Android Open Source Project). You have the new radio from 2.3.4, so 2.3.3 ROMs won't load properly and AOSP is "vanilla" Android, meaning no HTC Sense.

Upvote 0
Hi, I should say I know almost nothing about computer stuff. I live in the country and have satellite internet that sucks. Also wanted to be able to stream net flix to my TV. But I want a reliable phone that I dont have to do a bunch of computer stuff to everyday just to make it work.
So, at first I went to a web site about evo hacks and rooted my phone the HTC way. I installed the Wifi tethering and it worked. But I did a speed test and was at 1.1 on myCpu. I wanted to try and get it faster before I hooked it up to my ps3. So I tried to install silverneedle from the same evo hack guys website. Well, my screen went black and wouldnt do a thing. I returned the phone and they gave me a new one. Now Im uncertain about trying anything before I know for sure whats going to work.
-So what are my options with this phone to get free wifi and make it fast enough to game on my ps3 using the phones internet while still having a reliable phone?

Also, I told Sprint and HTC that I wanted to stream netflix to my TV and they said no, it cant do that. Really? One person at Sprint said it can, and sold me a MHL adapter. I pluged it in and everything on the TV looks like crap. The pictures and everything look horrible on the TV. Is there something special out there to make it so what ever I watch on my phone will be HD on my TV?

My goal is to play ps3 online (get rid of my satellite internet) and stream TV and netflix to my TV (and get rid of Direct TV). I just dont know enough about this stuff.

Thanks

Upvote 0
You are not gonna be able to do that on mobile data unless you have 4g. And as far as mhl, mine works great streaming netflix

edit, I mat be wrong after some google work, it seems that 1 meg internet speed will work for online ps3 play with little or no lag. as far as the mhl, how old is your tv? and there is a thread on mhl

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones