• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Certain apps not connecting over wifi

Gargo

Lurker
Nov 10, 2018
Hi there. I've been having a bit of a weird issue where certain apps (eg. Netflix, Amazon Music, Amazon Shopping but not Amazon Video and other apps) won't connect but 95% of apps work fine. For example, the Reddit app and other generic internet browsing works fine. When I try to log in to Netflix though it just sits on the logging in screen with the swirling icon for ever. This only happens on my home wifi and if I try other wifi it connects and works fine. However, when I then come home and try and do anything in the app on my home wifi it just tries to load content and never goes anywhere.

This is happening on a new phone I just got (Nokia 7.1, 4gb ram and 64gb storage running android 8.1.0) and I set it up with the backup from my old phone (Wileyfox Swift 2 plus). I have tried most things I can think of to fix it: I have restarted my phone, reinstalled the problem apps, cleared data and cache on problem apps, turned off Google smart lock, reset connection info, reset my phone completely (not restoring from my old phone back up), updated the firmware on my router, restarted my router. My old phone still works fine with all the 'problem' apps. I also have an android tabled that I log into Netflix on and it works fine on that.

One slightly strange thing I notice was that if I look at the device ID in the Amazon Music app on my new Nokia it shows my old phone device id (swift2plus) and when I did download some music on another wifi connection it never asked to authorize my new device.

I'm at a bit of a loss so any advice/help you could give would be much appreciated.

Reactions: MrJavi
Since you're not having the same problem using other WiFi networks, the issue does not sound like it's an issue with your phone at all but rather something with your home router.
-- In your router's setup menu, try disabling IPv6, restart your router, and then go into your phone's Settings >> WiFi menu, delete the WiFi network entry for your home network and re-add it.
-- Another thing to try in your router is set up a 'guest' network, using just its default settings as a test. Connect your phone to this guest network and see if those some problems occur with those apps. If using the guest network does work out, there's probably some setting/option in your primary home network's configuration. You can try to compare the settings in the two networks and see if you find the culprit, or just create a new, clean, primary home network.
If you're still having the same problems however, that's an indicator of something more involved. These are just generic suggestions, it might be easier to know just what kind of home network you have set up. Are you using an ISP supplied modem/router or do you have your own router? What model I.D. is either one?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Archer VR600 AC1600 router. I'll try changing the settings that you suggested. The only thing that makes me think that it might not be just the router is Netflix and the other problem apps work fine on the old phone and my tablet on it.

Update: I tried a guest network but this didn't resolve the issue. Looking into it I don't believe IPv6 is possible based on the connection provide from my ISP as you aren't able to configure IPv6 with my connect type. Looking at details of IPv6 on the router the IPv6 IP address is just blank.

However I just installed a VPN on my phone and I can access the apps if I am using this. Any Idea what this means? The location I am using with the VPN is the same general location to where I actually am.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So that VPN matter does add an interesting twist. Try changing your router's DNS addresses. By default it will be using whatever is being supplied by your ISP but there a number of really good alternative public DNS services. Details on which menu to use are shown in the manual for your router here (pg 78):
https://static.tp-link.com/1910012217_Archer VR600(b)(EU)(AU)_V2_UG.pdf

Some suggestions to try (for IPv4):
Google
Cloudfare
Quad9
OpenDNS

There are several others but these are just some of the more popular ones to try. Note you can use a combination of any of the above too (which might be a better option as that keeps you from being tied to just one of them).

Another thing to try is install this RouterCheck app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Sericon.RouterCheck.client.android&hl=en_US
It will check your router for basic security settings, and it includes some really useful documentation on terminology and suggestions on fixes for problems it may find.
This Netalyzr app is another app you might want to install:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.icsi.netalyzr.android
Do a scan on your home LAN (it'll take several minutes) and it will present you with a pretty detailed analysis of your home network's connectivity. Since your phone works well elsewhere and other devices worked well with your home network, there's just some odd glitch as far as your phone and your router's interactions. Probably just an option or setting that needs to be tweaked, the problem is finding out which one.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help with this, I know it seems to have gone out of the realm of Android and app issues into network diagnostics! I changed the DNS settings and checked to make sure it's going through the new DNS server but it doesn't appeared to have resolved the issue. I'll try analyzing a network that the apps are working on next time I'm on one and see if I can spot any differences in set up that could be causing it.

Upvote 0
Im having the same issue. But the issues only happens with my phone. My tablet tv and pc all connect flawlessly.
I have an xperia xz3 with android 9.
I can send text messages via snapchat but not pictures. I cant log into ebay at all or search for anything on ebay. Cant log into amazon either.
Havent tried netflix on my phone.

Upvote 0
Hello

I am also facing the same problem using Nokia phones only on my home WiFi network. Few months ago i bought Nokia 5 used phone. Initially phone was working perfectly, but when that phone received Android Pie update, certain apps i.e whatsapp, insta, Facebook etc stop working. Whenever i use mobile data or other WiFi network phone works perfectly. I did everything to resolve the issue but all in vain.

Sold the phone and bought brand new Nokia 3.1 plus, got new update of Android Pie.. Everything was perfect no problem at all.

I gifted my nokia 3.1 plus to my father and bought 2 days used Nokia 7 plus and configure the phone through factory reset. Now facing the same issue that few apps don't work only on my home network. To run my apps I have to connect through VPN and everything works perfectly.

Anyone can help why only it happens with used Nokia phones??? But if you configure the new Nokia smartphone, there is no problem atl.

I belive its purely software issue.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it's only your home network, and also if using a VPN works, that could indicate a problem in your home network that's blocking some things? Have you tried rebooting your router? Also check if there's a firmware update for it.
But all other devices work perfectly. Have 2 iPhones, 3 huwaie and 1 Samsung being used at same router at my home, no issue at all.. Only with my nokia 7 plus.

Upvote 0
I seem to having the same problem as @Gargo .

I couldn't say when it started but a while ago. Some apps won't work on my home WiFi (Netflix, ASDA, and also I can't browse Amazon shipping via Chrome (haven't tried the app))

Other devices (the laptop, Mac, set top box, Chrome cast, etc) house work fine for the same services. If I turn WiFi off on my phone the apps work fine.

I have a Moto G6 plus, Android 9. I keep it up to date.

Things I've tried that make no difference.

Turning off the router firewall
Resetting phone network settings (haven't done a full phone reset)
Resetting router to default settings
Checking for router firmware update

Using a VPN (Tunnel Bear) works as @Gargo found.

I hadn't tested in many other networks but I'm fairly sure the apps would work as for @Gargo.

Any suggestions? @Gargo, did you resolve this?

Upvote 0
Further info to above.

The same apps on the same network work in my partner's Moto G6 play, Android 9 (a similar phone but kernel, build and security update versions different )

These apps work on my phone if I use my partner's phone as a hot spot rather than my home WiFi.

It seems to be the particular combination of my phone and home network.

Help really appriciated.

Upvote 0
I've still got this issue and it's getting pretty annoying. I have to switch to using data rather than wifi on most of the apps I use and have had to upgrade my data plan because of it.
It seems to work on a few other networks which is rather odd, maybe it's something to do with certain routers that the phone can't communicate with certain protocols.

Edit: Also, let's be honest, I doubt the devs will actually fix this issue even though it's been flagged a load of times. We can only sit and hope

Upvote 0
I've still got this issue and it's getting pretty annoying. I have to switch to using data rather than wifi on most of the apps I use and have had to upgrade my data plan because of it.
It seems to work on a few other networks which is rather odd, maybe it's something to do with certain routers that the phone can't communicate with certain protocols.

Edit: Also, let's be honest, I doubt the devs will actually fix this issue even though it's been flagged a load of times. We can only sit and hope

If you got home internet connectivity issues. and cellular data works fine, quite frankly there's not a lot that app devs can do about that. That sounds like something that only you and/or your ISP can fix. Same for @Theo M

Upvote 0
I don't believe so.

Before the pie update, everything was working perfectly, no issues whatsoever.

The day I update, certain apps stopped working and sending things, specifically any type of media, texts were fine.

I'm convinced this has to be something to do with the update itself and not just my ISP and router.

Every other phone and device in the house works completely fine with no issues.

Upvote 0
Exact same issue here.
Immediately after Android update, several apps stopped working over wifi.
Some apps still work and other devices work fine with the same apps - plus the problem device was working fine immediately before the Android update.
I havent found a fix yet either but if I find one, I'll post it here.
A rollback sounds like the workaround in the meantime.

Upvote 0
Well the workaround for me was to get an old router out of the loft.

It's definitely a bug that both the phone and router are part of. But which one is at fault (or both) I couldn't say.

New (ish) router that doesn't work: zyxel AMG1302-T11C

Old router that does work: D-link DSL-2680

Good luck, this bug is infuriating.

Upvote 0
Just some food for thought but by switching back to an older router, one that hasn't received any current updates to the firmware and is no longer supported by its manufacturer, it's a significant security matter as far as your home's local network. By solving the problem with your mobile device using a dated router, this opens the doors to other, more expansive vulnerabilities to anything connecting to your LAN.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones