• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Change Icons and text below it...

Di@bl@l

Lurker
Aug 18, 2009
Hi everyone,

I'm running android 1.5 on the htc hero with HTC sense.

I'd like to customize the icons that are displayed on the desktop. I'd like to change the displayed text or eventually remove it to let only the icon w/o text.

Does anyone have any idea.

For example, since I'm french, i'd like to change the shortcut text to call a contact "Call XXX" by "XXX".

Thanks in advance.

can someone put up a link or give some simple input on theme making or icon set changing for a htc hero platform...please

i dloaded pc suite panda for android but its all in chinese :thinking:

ive made themes for BB OS and iPhone OS so if someone can just point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it

thanks

Upvote 0
I'm using AnyCut to change the icon text, or in my case, removing the text completely as shown in the attached grab of my home screen.

Although BetterCut looks nicer and seems to support a few more things, it seems very laggy to me compared to AnyCut. Plus, you can't switch from their included keyboard, which doesn't include a front-slash key needed when creating custom bookmark shortcuts. :rolleyes:)

Attachments

• CAP200912041112.jpg
    CAP200912041112.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 690
Upvote 0
I'm using AnyCut to change the icon text, or in my case, removing the text completely as shown in the attached grab of my home screen.

Although BetterCut looks nicer and seems to support a few more things, it seems very laggy to me compared to AnyCut. Plus, you can't switch from their included keyboard, which doesn't include a front-slash key needed when creating custom bookmark shortcuts. :rolleyes:)

mkhopper, how did you go about removing the text completely using AnyCut? The best I can do is creating a new icon (since 'Edit existing Shortcut' just gives me a blank screen) and replace the name with a space.

Upvote 0
mkhopper, how did you go about removing the text completely using AnyCut? The best I can do is creating a new icon (since 'Edit existing Shortcut' just gives me a blank screen) and replace the name with a space.

After creating a new application shortcut in AnyCut, I just deleted the name text. A message appears stating that the icon name can not be left blank (grr), but it doesn't complain about each icon having only a single blank space as a name.

If you look closely at the screenshot I posted, you'll notice a small grey oval under each icon, which is that single space. It looks terrible against bright colored wallpaper, but I tend to like darker wallpaper anyway, so I can live with it. :)

Upvote 0
I know nobody will believe me because this is my first post but hey, gotta start somewhere... and since I am obsessed with icons and home page management, this is perfect.

Hands down, the best app for icons, labels & changing names is "Folder Organizer". Basically the program works by organizing, labeling, renaming and changing the icon to any given app. You can use the standard windows icons or PNG files even.

The trick to the app is anything you do, you must do via folder organizer so for example... say you change the name and icon... now click the desktop, choose shortcut, scroll down to folder organizer app, and choose the one you want. it will look exactly how you just customized.

Best app ever and has the potential to organize entire phone.

Hope this helps,

Reactions: EVU
Upvote 0
Can you say a little more about how LP does it? I know LP let's you hide icon text, but I didn't know you could change the text and icons. At least not on home screens. I realize you can easily do it for the dock icons. Would love to do some more customizing. Thanks!

LP cant change the home screen icons or the text, you can only hide the text and as you said change the dock icons. Desktop Visualizer is by far the best app to change the text and icons.

Reactions: docdl
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones