• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Coming from rooted X to Fascinate

I'll keep my X I guess.

The biggest reason I decided to stay put? The signal strength. Samsung has never been a superstar in that respect and nothing I've read about the SF says that it will be any different, in fact it seems worse. I had an Eris and it was the absolute worst PHONE. The OS was fine and I even got decent battery life with me, but the call quality and dropped calls with that phone were ridiculous. I just can't go with something that would even be half as bad. The X has great signal and outstanding call quality. For all the modding and hacking I want to do, I still need to use it as a phone. Also the fact that its still on 2.1. I don't think I could go back to 2.1 with the new gmail (which I LOVE) and voice search.

I mean I have had no problems with reception, but thats just me.
Also the 2.2 source was released and the 2.2 was just released in europe so it should be coming soon in an OTA. Also, you can just get the new gmail.apk and voicesearch.apk and install it on the SF.

I am really happy with it so far, and am really excited we have the support of birdman and cm6 and taypotts and others

Upvote 0
Alright now that everyone has been talking behind my back all day...saps, Piiman and jreed, I am reporting you to get banned:p

Anyways, I will be working on a sticky, and talking to frisco.

Also I am really liking what I am seeing, with all these ex X'ers coming over. We are starting to get a nice group going:D

BTW I am working on fixing nextheme with the themed system apps

Banned for talking behind a bot's back. HAHA not a chance! It's not like you're a real person or anything and besides bots don't have feelings. that's why you so cold heartily dumped your X for the first hot sexy thing with her pants zipper half way down to come along. Heartless bots! I swear.....

<----hopes D13 didn't mind that I posted his picture :eek: I love the community we are building here as well. Although I think I've about talked myself out of jumping over to the fascinate, I will def. keep tabs on your guys

I'll keep my X I guess.

The biggest reason I decided to stay put? The signal strength. Samsung has never been a superstar in that respect and nothing I've read about the SF says that it will be any different, in fact it seems worse. I had an Eris and it was the absolute worst PHONE. The OS was fine and I even got decent battery life with me, but the call quality and dropped calls with that phone were ridiculous. I just can't go with something that would even be half as bad. The X has great signal and outstanding call quality. For all the modding and hacking I want to do, I still need to use it as a phone. Also the fact that its still on 2.1. I don't think I could go back to 2.1 with the new gmail (which I LOVE) and voice search.

This why I'm thinking I'll buy it and use it side by side and then decide. It may cost my a few $$ but I'll be able to do a good comparison. Darn it though the prices seem to have gone up on ebay.

Actually I just got home, and I got alot of work to do. So I will see what I can do tonight. I just have to redo the system apps:)

Here's the bot enjoying a day off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ODe9mqoDE&feature=related

Upvote 0
Banned for talking behind a bot's back. HAHA not a chance! It's not like you're a real person or anything and besides bots don't have feelings. that's why you so cold heartily dumped your X for the first hot sexy thing with her pants zipper half way down to come along. Heartless bots! I swear.....

This why I'm thinking I'll buy it and use it side by side and then decide. It may cost my a few $$ but I'll be able to do a good comparison. Darn it though the prices seem to have gone up on ebay.

Here's the bot enjoying a day off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ODe9mqoDE&feature=related

Let me know how your fascinate compares side by side!

Upvote 0
yeah i think ebay gives the seller 1-2 days to respond to any questions, it can be a pain. As for the esn issue, if the auction stated that the esn is clear and it turns out not to be, you are completely covered by ebay's buyer protection.

Like if they ship it and you can't activate and the seller wont make it right ebay will force them to

Upvote 0
yeah i think ebay gives the seller 1-2 days to respond to any questions, it can be a pain. As for the esn issue, if the auction stated that the esn is clear and it turns out not to be, you are completely covered by ebay's buyer protection.

Like if they ship it and you can't activate and the seller wont make it right ebay will force them to

yeah but then you have all the hassle of filing a claim blah blah. right after I asked for the esn someone posted another sf with almost the same description but it has a note that they don't give out the esn until the auction is paid for. I just find it odd that if you are selling something you don't check your actions (its not a big seller) and don't respond to a request to prove the esn is really clean.

I'll give them a little time but if I don't hear from them in a day I'm buying from someone else. Ebay might get mad but tough.

Upvote 0
yeah it can be a hassle. ebay is a pain, but *thankfully* its worked out for me buying/selling phones.

The only issue I had was actually when I sold one of my bb's (tour 9630). I factory reset it and tested it for a day or so and it was fine, the guy who bought it was a big ebayer with like 5k in ratings and 99.9 positive. He paid, i shipped and then a few days later it said his account was no longer open.

Like 3 weeks later, I got an ebay message from him (I guess his account was reactivated) and he said he d been trying to email my paypal email for 3 weeks as the phone had a bunch of problems and he wanted either a large portion refunded or he d send it back. I tried to find these emails but of course that email account is one that gets 500 junk emails a day and I just delete everything. I told him that ebay messages were the only satisfactory way to settle stuff anyway.

Long story short, he said the battery only held a 2 hour charge, rebooted every hour and the trackball was crap. (I can maybe buy the trackball as it was never great) I was concerned as he was a powerseller and Im sure if he opened a claim with ebay he d win, even though I'm sure either he screwed up the phone or was just hastling me for money.

Eventually I said screw it and told him to take it up with ebay as I had video and photos of the phone, dated, running the day I shipped it (i didnt actually). He sorta caved and said if I refunded him 10 of the 110 bucks he spent to at least buy a new trackball he d drop it, and he did.

In any event that was my only ebay negative story, there are people out there that will screw you, but at least as a buyer you have some level of protection, sellers not as much.

Upvote 0
yeah it can be a hassle. ebay is a pain, but *thankfully* its worked out for me buying/selling phones.

The only issue I had was actually when I sold one of my bb's (tour 9630). I factory reset it and tested it for a day or so and it was fine, the guy who bought it was a big ebayer with like 5k in ratings and 99.9 positive. He paid, i shipped and then a few days later it said his account was no longer open.

Like 3 weeks later, I got an ebay message from him (I guess his account was reactivated) and he said he d been trying to email my paypal email for 3 weeks as the phone had a bunch of problems and he wanted either a large portion refunded or he d send it back. I tried to find these emails but of course that email account is one that gets 500 junk emails a day and I just delete everything. I told him that ebay messages were the only satisfactory way to settle stuff anyway.

Long story short, he said the battery only held a 2 hour charge, rebooted every hour and the trackball was crap. (I can maybe buy the trackball as it was never great) I was concerned as he was a powerseller and Im sure if he opened a claim with ebay he d win, even though I'm sure either he screwed up the phone or was just hastling me for money.

Eventually I said screw it and told him to take it up with ebay as I had video and photos of the phone, dated, running the day I shipped it (i didnt actually). He sorta caved and said if I refunded him 10 of the 110 bucks he spent to at least buy a new trackball he d drop it, and he did.

In any event that was my only ebay negative story, there are people out there that will screw you, but at least as a buyer you have some level of protection, sellers not as much.

this is why I hate online shopping, you just never know...
With that said the seller finally responded and I have a SF due to arrive Friday after noon. Time to start reading the SF all root threads. :D
D13 here I COME!! You better have some answers ready!! lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones