• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Compass in the Samsung S20 Ultra not working

Has anyone else noticed their compass not working on their Samsung Galaxy S20 phones??

Mine just goes entirely unresponsive. So, for example, Google maps can no longer tell which direction I am facing. I've also tested in several other (non-Google) apps. None of them can use the compass once it stops working.

Oddly enough, it starts working immediately after a phone restart (I've tested this several times now). But then stops working again after a certain amount of phone idle time. This makes me think its NOT hardware related (i.e. since the sensor can work perfectly at times). But perhaps a software issue, e.g. a driver problem?

I've attached screen shots of an App called "Accurate Compass" because it allows me to check the status of the magnetometer. When it stops working, it just completely goes unresponsive. The first image shows it working perfectly well immediately after the phone has restarted. The second image occurs after the phone has sat idle for a certain amount of time (I don't know exactly how long it takes to stop working, but I am trying to test this).
Immediately After Restart.jpg
After Phone has Sat Idle.jpg

Reactions: NightAngel79
I have the S20 and the compass works fine? I used Google maps last night, and I just checked the compass in the edge panel. Both are functioning and accurate. I will say the first time I used the one in the edge panel it made me do the calibrating thing, but I haven't had to do that since.

Awesome! Glad to know its not the entire line.
Just curious, which S20 do you have? S20, S20+, or S20 Ultra?

Upvote 0
So, to provide an update to everyone (in case anyone was interested)

I am beginning to trace the problem. I decided to reboot my phone in Safe Mode (thank you Samsung support for NOT recommending I do this after talking to 4 agents), just to see if that affected the functionality.

I left the phone plugged in overnight, remaining in safe mode the entire time. And wouldn't you know, the compass is still working perfectly this morning! Much longer than it has gone before. SO this all is starting to suggest a software conflict with the compass. And specifically, a piece of software I must have loaded onto the phone. This would also kind of make sense based on what I was seeing, since the compass always works for a certain time after restart. An app must be loading up in the background sometime after restart that interferes with the comms of the compass??

Since the compass is still working nearly 12 Hrs later, I am going to assume its another app I am using that is interfering.
But now my issue is... how can I determine which app, short of uninstalling each one, one at a time!? (this is no small task, since I copied over ALL apps from my previous S8, so there are quite a few).

Question to the community: is there an app which can monitor the usage and background processed of other apps over time?

If I could closely watch when the compass stops working, and then trace the background activity of the phone at the same time, that should tell me which app is interfering.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
It does sound like you are onto the culprit but discovering which app may prove laborious. If there is an app that will monitor all background processes over time, I've yet to see it recommended to those sharing the same frustrating boat you are in. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You might want to start a thread in our general Android discussion area asking if such an app exists. Here is a link to that area. The Lounge area is monitored by many knowledgeable members and I hope they will have some suggestions.
I wish I had more to offer but luckily I've not needed such an app and have never researched its existence.

Upvote 0
The compass in our phones work mainly off Location (GPS satellites and triangulation). It's not like a conventional compass that has a magnetized pointer end rotating on a spindle). This could just be a matter of getting a good, solid GPS reading so your phone narrows down its own orientation.
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2839911?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en
You might also want to install this 'GPS Status & Toolbox' app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en_US
There's a 'Compass calibration' option in the app's Settings menu.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It does sound like you are onto the culprit but discovering which app may prove laborious. If there is an app that will monitor all background processes over time, I've yet to see it recommended to those sharing the same frustrating boat you are in. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You might want to start a thread in our general Android discussion area asking if such an app exists. Here is a link to that area. The Lounge area is monitored by many knowledgeable members and I hope they will have some suggestions.
I wish I had more to offer but luckily I've not needed such an app and have never researched its existence.

Thanks! Good suggestion. I may try this.
You're right, browsing the Play Store has not yielded an app that has this functionality. I was hoping to find the "Glasswire" of Android processes. As you said though, not sure such an app exists.

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0
The compass in our phones work mainly off Location (GPS satellites and triangulation). It's not like a conventional compass that has a magnetized pointer end rotating on a spindle). This could just be a matter of getting a good, solid GPS reading so your phone narrows down its own orientation.
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2839911?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en
You might also want to install this 'GPS Status & Toolbox' app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en_US
There's a 'Compass calibration' option in the app's Settings menu.

Thanks svim!
I used to think the exact same thing.
But actually, our phones now have built-in magnetometers (magnetic field sensors) that work independent of GPS (or at least the Galaxy series does). They actually work in the same exact way as a conventional compass. This was the first thing I thought too (that my GPS was acting up, and I know the S20 line had GPS issues when they first came out). However a couple things show the compass is actually a separate sensor:

1) Google maps had no problem showing my exact location on the map (tested under multiple conditions and locations), it just didn't know what direction I was facing (the blue cone that swivels around the blue dot as you turn was missing)
2) I downloaded a GPS checker app, which established GPS links without any issues, even when my compass was unresponsive
3) When I tried to calibrate my compass when it wasnt working, no input was ever detected (the figure 8 pattern you swing in the air)
4) Multiple other apps instantly found my location (via GPS), but could not orient the direction either
5) When the compass was working properly, I could even get accurate readings from it in the basement of my house, which has absolute zero GPS reception.
6) The phone itself warns you to stay away from electronics and strong magnetic fields, as it will interfere with the compass

The compass is actually a pretty cool feature of our phones, most people are probably unaware of. No data or signal of any kind is actually needed to use it.

Reactions: ocnbrze and svim
Upvote 0
SO! Another quick update. *knock on wood* I think I found the culprit...

Short of finding an app that tracks the activity of all Android apps and processes, I decided to start disabling things one by one. Checking after each "Force Stop" to see if the compass started working.

It is looking like it may have been caused by a live background app called "BETTA" (a cool animated Beta Fish for your Home Page). Turning off the live background immediately allowed the sensor to start working again. It has been working steadily since yesterday!

Not a CLUE as to why the live background would interfere with the compass. Probably the darn ads in the background. I am testing the same app on my Galaxy S8, but it doesn't seem to affect this phone. Something about the S20 and this app appears to interfere.

I don;t think its the live wallpaper function itself either. As I have another one loaded to test functionality, and all is working fine. Seems to be this app called "BETTA" specifically.

Hope it keeps working!! I will update accordingly with what I find if anything changes.
Many thanks to the input from everyone!
Cheers
-Chris

Upvote 0
SO! Another quick update. *knock on wood* I think I found the culprit...

Short of finding an app that tracks the activity of all Android apps and processes, I decided to start disabling things one by one. Checking after each "Force Stop" to see if the compass started working.

It is looking like it may have been caused by a live background app called "BETTA" (a cool animated Beta Fish for your Home Page). Turning off the live background immediately allowed the sensor to start working again. It has been working steadily since yesterday!

Not a CLUE as to why the live background would interfere with the compass. Probably the darn ads in the background. I am testing the same app on my Galaxy S8, but it doesn't seem to affect this phone. Something about the S20 and this app appears to interfere.

I don;t think its the live wallpaper function itself either. As I have another one loaded to test functionality, and all is working fine. Seems to be this app called "BETTA" specifically.

Hope it keeps working!! I will update accordingly with what I find if anything changes.
Many thanks to the input from everyone!
Cheers
-Chris

Minor correction (just for tracking)
App is called "Betta Fish Live Wallpaper FREE" and it is made by a group called "Maxelus".

So glad you tracked down teh culprit!
I have reviewed the app with my findings. And additionally have emailed the company. Hoping that it gets resolved, as its a very cool app!

So glad you tracked down the culprit! Weird a wallpaper app does that, maybe some conflict or just bad code touching the gyro or location. Usually (good) developers will be super fast to help. With a little luck they will get a bug report or something from you and update the app. I'm sure they would want the S20 line as a userbase! You did them a favor!

Reactions: Chris Bourque
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones