• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root COMPLETE noob... need help!

floorlizard

Sep 18, 2011
okay! My company has decided to force us to install an app that will track me via GPS throughout my work day. to make the matter even more messed up, it is being installed on my PERSONAL galaxy note 2014 edition. I have researched options to make it impossible to be tracked via GPS through this new app. However, it is looking more and more necessary to root my device for these purposes. I am completely clueless in regards to this matter. Can any body instruct me on the potential negatives and pitfalls of rooting my device?

The two negatives:

1. Tripping the Samsung Knox Software (their version of an enterprise security management suite. Kinda think the old BlackBerry Eco System companies could implement.) If their GPS Tracking software is aware of Knox and requires a clean Knox implementation, rooting the device will give you away. Having tripped Knox will not break the device...just Knox and Knox software friendly software will know what you did and typically prevent use of the App. The App will also report back why it cannot be used to the system administrators.

2. Bricking the device. However, this option is least likely as long as you read, read, and re-read the method you are going to under take so you fully understand the steps.

Sounds as if you need to pay $100 and get a lawyer to draw up something preventing them touching your personal equipment. Unless they are going to reimburse your purchase cost so it becomes their asset.

Reactions: floorlizard
Upvote 0
The permissions on the app will most likely require location tracking... which means when the app is started (probably at startup), it will automatically turn location ON. That said, I would not put up with a company insisting on installing tracking data on MY property. They can provide me with a tablet to use for business, and I will transfer all my work files to it. My 2¢

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones