• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help comprehensive HOWTO switching from iOS

hi dears o_O

After like 6 years w/ iPhones :thinking:, I'm kinda thinking about switching to Android :). Not even decided if it would be a Samsung or a cheap asian copy. Reason is I'm getting sick of the prices:mad:, locked memory :eek: and tired to wait after jailbreaks :(. Indeed Samsung is thinking about locking memory too lol Damn copycats :D

And so, after 6 years, I've been runing w/ iTunes, masterize all of it's capabilities, and carefully tagged all of the songs I have and like w/ stars. Stars are rating, from 0-5. And there is my main issue: iTunes currently store music rating in some XML instead of using the existing MP3 tag, what a shame. I know there is a software to transfer the ratings from iTunes to the MP3 itself, but is there another way?

In other terms, what do I do w/ my iTunes music collection?
What is the best software to mimic iTunes or do better with Android?
I certainly do not want to switch back to Winamp and Media monkey seems not to fit my needs.

Is there only a comprehensive guide for switchers?

It's not that easy, I mean, there is a lot of habits to be changed, a lot of softwares to install and learn from, it's a whole new world and I wonder if there is a global guide you guys would know about?

thanks for the help! :rolleyes:

Have a look at this I think...give you some ideas.
http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-music-itunes-android-230232/

AFAIK there's only one Android app that can directly read a proprietary iTunes iOS music database. Rockbox, which is an open source project. Android music players expect standard ID3 tags.

Might be fear of incurring the wrath of Apple's attorneys as well, i.e. reverse engineering and hacking their proprietary copyrighted stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
there is no copyright than can be associated with an XML schema.
thank you for your link, i read it carefully. they propose to continue with iTunes and a sync software or just drag and drop the songs, which i don't want. they also propose paid applications to sync iTunes to android, one playlist at a time, which i don't want to either.

with time, and a growing music library, you have to use a music organizer. This is mandatory. and I need also the convenience of the iTunes smart playlist, that are dynamically updated against the song ratings, number of plays and so on. Which music organizer do copycat iTunes the best and allow you to sync with ratings, to your android?
What do people use the most?
I'm not saying I want to stay with iTunes whatever the cost, I mean it's good and convenient and all, but at some point I may not need it anymore since I won't use an iPhone anymore.

from what I see, doubleTwist is a player that play songs, rate them, and offer a sync to iTunes, so it may be exactly what i need to start with a new android, hasslefree. I hope it will be free for a long time :)

thanks for any other advices!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I agree, I have no idea how copyrights work into this.

iTunes is basically an xml viewer on steroids.

Check out "iSyncr for iTunes to Android"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.iSyncrLite

It's been years so I can't remember the reasons but I preferred that to doubleTwist at the time.

I've gotten away from playlists myself though.

Check out "Neutron Music Player" I strongly recommend it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neutroncode.mp

There's an evaluation copy there too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones