• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Computer stopped recognizing my phone, then phone stopped recognizing my SD card. HELP!

HealthyJimm

Lurker
Oct 28, 2011
I've had my Galaxy S for 3 or 4 months at this point and it's been great, but a few days ago it started giving me trouble when plugging it in to my computer at night to charge. My computer (with Windows 7 x64) would not recognize the phone at first and I'd have to unplug and plug it back in before it would work. Last night my computer stopped recognizing my phone entirely (it gives me the USB device not recognized popup and says my hardware is malfunctioning) and my phone does not respond when plugged into the computer. When I plugged it into the wall instead at first it still didn't respond, then the battery indicator started blinking between half-full and blue and red and empty, and the flash on my phone turned itself on. I shut the phone down and restarted it and got it to charge, but the flash kept going on and off on its own for about 5 minutes after it was plugged in. Today when I went to listen to some music my phone said that there is no SD card inserted (I have a 16GB Samsung SD card that I got with the phone) and plugging it into the computer does nothing except tell me that I should replace my hardware. Is there a solution to this at all, or am I going to have to replace something and if so, what?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones