• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Confused about locked bootloader outrage

!on

Android Expert
Aug 14, 2011
UK
Hello. I'm a bit confused, I keep seeing angry villagers with pitch forks & flame torches marching on Moto HQ. All chanting "death to locked boot loaders" or something. Anyone who doesn't join the crowd will be burned at the stake.

I'd like to know what's this all about. I have rooted phone, I see there are custom roms, I even tried one myself. I have apps that require root & now my phone works above & beyond the stock model. This is a pocket computer in the true sense.

I'm only guessing, but is this all because of envy of latest Android OS? Fair enough, but there are still hardware limitations. My Defy has green lens (SOC module) so that in itself limits my options. But I see there are custom options even for us green lens. So what's this all about?

In particular the entitled Euro crowd goes into high orbit over this. Motorola probably signed an agreement (as they have in the past) with carriers selling the phone, not to crack the bootloader. I agree, the phone is very serviceable with the root and mods available and even in its stock form. It goes back to the original theory that Android is supposed to be an "open" system. Then, when the forces of repression clamped down, there was rioting on the keyboards.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones