• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

supergoose

Lurker
Nov 6, 2021
NJ usa
Hi! I'm kinda new to having service and mobile data, since most of my life I just used wifi. For the past year I had service and everything was working perfectly. I have boost mobile and sprint. Last month, I wasn't able to use mobile data, except to send text messages. I couldn't recieve photo messages or go online. I thought I ran out or used it all up for the month, but actually it doesn't seem like I did. I paid for more mobile or roaming data, which seemed to work for a week but now I can't use it anymore. I'm attaching screenshots of my data usage because I must be missing something. I think the problem started sometime in September. Also what is the difference between mobile and roaming (if there is a difference)? Thanks to anyone who responds!
Oh one more question: Whenever I go on a trip I have issues with this too. Is it a sprint thing? It's bot just like "oh this is a deadzone," it seems like places that everyone else has normal strong connection.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211106-132206_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211106-132206_Settings.png
    424.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Screenshot_20211106-132225_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211106-132225_Settings.png
    125 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot_20211106-132228_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211106-132228_Settings.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_20211106-132232_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211106-132232_Settings.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot_20211106-132349_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211106-132349_Settings.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 140
Probably due to T-Mobile buying Sprint.
T-Mobile is a total joke, and a waste of time and money if you want a working phone.

Their 'service', if you can call it that, would be worth less than nothing even if it were free.

I had Sprint, and was very happy with it.
Then came the merger, and I might as well not even have a cellular provider at all.

My phone only works at work, where I am not allowed to use it anyway.
Everywhere else I have to use Wi-Fi.
Luckily there are apps like Dingtone and Telegram around, which is the only way that I can make calls or receive texts at home or whenever travelling.

Upvote 0
I couldn't recieve photo messages or go online. I thought I ran out or used it all up for the month, but actually it doesn't seem like I did.
Also what is the difference between mobile and roaming (if there is a difference)?

Most prepaid carriers only give you a small amount of roaming data per month (data on another carriers network).

It's possible you don't have a good enough signal to use data, or are roaming and used up your small monthly amount.

It's bot just like "oh this is a deadzone," it seems like places that everyone else has normal strong connection.
Are those other people using the same network as you? If they're on AT&T or Verizon their signal will be different then yours.

Have you gotten a new Boost Mobile SIM that uses T-Mobile? If you have an old Sprint SIM and they decommissioned Sprint towers in your area after T-Mobile bought Sprint that might cause worse reception.

If T-Mobile simply doesn't have good coverage where you are I'd recommend switching to a carrier using AT&T or Verizon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones