• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts: Last Name/First Name

Rocko20

Jul 24, 2010
So I want my contacts to be organized by Last Name and then First Name. I have Last Name First Name selected for Order of display name but its pretty random on how its organized. Some people will be First Name Last Name and some will be Last Name First Name. If I select FN/LN, then everyone will be listed like that but I do not want it organized that way.

Please help.

I had major problems with this myself, and believe I solved them, plus a related problem. I have had my contacts sorted Last Name, First Name on all of my devices always. Like: Smith, John. I found that with my Captivate, I must enter a new contact per the Captivate screen. Put the last name where it says to and the first name where it says so. But when entering a contact on the Google Contacts, I have to enter literally "Smith, John" as the name. For some reason , it just seems to work. Try that and let me know.
Another thing I noticed was that if I had the exact same phone number under several contacts, the whole system got messed up and not all of them would sync. Anyone else notice this? I ended up deleting all of the entries where the same number (my office phone number) appeared, and just set up one contact called "office". That seemed to work
I love this phone.

Upvote 0
I had major problems with this myself, and believe I solved them, plus a related problem. I have had my contacts sorted Last Name, First Name on all of my devices always. Like: Smith, John. I found that with my Captivate, I must enter a new contact per the Captivate screen. Put the last name where it says to and the first name where it says so. But when entering a contact on the Google Contacts, I have to enter literally "Smith, John" as the name. For some reason , it just seems to work. Try that and let me know.

So I don't have any Google Contacts. The problem is the contacts that were transferred from my SIM card. If I link contacts with facebook and then choose their facebook name, it sorts them by LN/FN but if a contact doesn't have facebook, then it sorts that person by FN/LN. Now if I save a number directly on my phone, it'll sort that person LN/FN. Do I want to delete contacts and then re-add them so it'll sort the way I want...no that would just be a pain in the ass.

On your contact list press the menu touch key then hit more and you'll find settings there. The first option is order of display name which sets first name or last name first

Read the convo before ever posting.........

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones