• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Creating a boot animation, start to finish.

you know, im not sure if i just missed this in the op, but ardchiolle has pointed out that we hafta set the compression to store in 7Zip... that seemed to be the fly in the ointment..
Correct. Using any compression at all will render a bootanimation.zip that will not work. You must set the compression to "store" rather than compressing the .zip file.

On Linux, this command works perfectly (run it inside the folder that contains the part0, part1 and desc.txt files):
Code:
zip -r --compression-method store bootanimation *

It will create a bootanimation.zip with no compression. It's silly and I'm not sure why Google did it this way, but many folks miss the store vs compression bit - especially since .apk files use compression and they work fine.

Upvote 0
Correct. Using any compression at all will render a bootanimation.zip that will not work. You must set the compression to "store" rather than compressing the .zip file.

On Linux, this command works perfectly (run it inside the folder that contains the part0, part1 and desc.txt files):
Code:
It will create a bootanimation.zip with no compression. It's silly and I'm not sure why Google did it this way, but many folks miss the store vs compression bit - especially since .apk files use compression and they work fine.

maybe its to add the silly step just to eff those of us not in the know up a bit and make peeps work at it lol "if they want it bad enough, theyll do the research....." that kind of thing

Upvote 0
i've gotten my animation to work, but...
it seems no matter how i modify the desc.txt, the animation still plays the same... changed fps from 60 to 30, no visual difference... and i get a lag at the beginning, 5 to 10 seconds of "slo-mo" before it kicks in...(not sure what's up with that) put all files for animation in part 0 and part 1, no difference... am i doing something wrong with the desc.txt file??? using word pad in vista... still has the options of saving as - rich text format, text document, text document-ms dos format, and unicode text document... been saving as text document... just not getting the "desc.txt" file yet... some boot animations that i've DL'ed and unzipped to look at don't have part 0 and part 1, just part 0.... others have both... confusing at the moment to say the least...

Upvote 0
i've gotten my animation to work, but...
it seems no matter how i modify the desc.txt, the animation still plays the same... changed fps from 60 to 30, no visual difference... and i get a lag at the beginning, 5 to 10 seconds of "slo-mo" before it kicks in...(not sure what's up with that) put all files for animation in part 0 and part 1, no difference... am i doing something wrong with the desc.txt file??? using word pad in vista... still has the options of saving as - rich text format, text document, text document-ms dos format, and unicode text document... been saving as text document... just not getting the "desc.txt" file yet... some boot animations that i've DL'ed and unzipped to look at don't have part 0 and part 1, just part 0.... others have both... confusing at the moment to say the least...

That is normal.........you can change the structure a bit to hide the loading time ....ie repeat a bunch of same frames for a bit. One of the things I have on my list is a better description of the desc and how to manipulate it.

And.......if I were not already busy enough.....we added an HTC inspire and Acer a500 honeycomb to the family tonight......wohoooooooo

Upvote 0

Hey bro I didnt get to upload the animation today because I was looking into learning everything about flashing roms. I have been looking at CM7 and herd its been very stable finally with 4g, 3g, Camera, and Wifi working perfect and of course the mouse pointer one of the great reasons to switch. I than found a CM7 EX that is just sickness the animations and speed are just insane. So I have been researching everything about that today. I was just going to flash it I already got the zips and than herd about the CWM issue with using it to flash a Ginger bread Rom. I have 2.6.0.1 and not sure if it will be able to flash this rom because supposedly you need 3.0.0.0-3.0.0.5 for it to work. On XDA this is what they were saying it wasnt very clear. If anyone knows anything please let me know. I already read some articles on here about that only added to the confusion of this problem.

I tried uploading the bootanimation.zip and it gave me a problem because a security token was missing. I have no idea what the is about. Than tried to upload just the part0 folder but could only upload the images individually which theres 600 of them. Here the separate files which on part0 they are in order. Its only after you drop them in the 7zip folder they get out of order. This is the one I have been having very slow movement and the numerical ordered numbers which magically re ordering them selves the second I drop the three files into 7zip to make them a Zip folder.

I guess I can try to upload them to dropbox and I give you the link if you have dropbox. Let me know

Upvote 0
That is normal.........you can change the structure a bit to hide the loading time ....ie repeat a bunch of same frames for a bit. One of the things I have on my list is a better description of the desc and how to manipulate it.

And.......if I were not already busy enough.....we added an HTC inspire and Acer a500 honeycomb to the family tonight......wohoooooooo

This is the same exact problem I am still getting with my boot animation. I changed frame rate because its really slow for the whole animation and its 8 to 10 second long. Its about 600 images. No thing I do changes anything. And on top of the slowness Iam having this problem where the images decide to change their numerical order once I put the three files in the 7zip window to convert them into .zip. And what ens up happening while the animation is playing it will throw random images that dont belong in the sequence in the middle form the begging or end and that I just really dont understand since I tried to change the way I rename the files boot_0001 and when I renamed them and still getting that changing of numerical order.

Upvote 0
Hey bro I didnt get to upload the animation today because I was looking into learning everything about flashing roms. I have been looking at CM7 and herd its been very stable finally with 4g, 3g, Camera, and Wifi working perfect and of course the mouse pointer one of the great reasons to switch. I than found a CM7 EX that is just sickness the animations and speed are just insane. So I have been researching everything about that today. I was just going to flash it I already got the zips and than herd about the CWM issue with using it to flash a Ginger bread Rom. I have 2.6.0.1 and not sure if it will be able to flash this rom because supposedly you need 3.0.0.0-3.0.0.5 for it to work. On XDA this is what they were saying it wasnt very clear. If anyone knows anything please let me know. I already read some articles on here about that only added to the confusion of this problem.

I tried uploading the bootanimation.zip and it gave me a problem because a security token was missing. I have no idea what the is about. Than tried to upload just the part0 folder but could only upload the images individually which theres 600 of them. Here the separate files which on part0 they are in order. Its only after you drop them in the 7zip folder they get out of order. This is the one I have been having very slow movement and the numerical ordered numbers which magically re ordering them selves the second I drop the three files into 7zip to make them a Zip folder.

I guess I can try to upload them to dropbox and I give you the link if you have dropbox. Let me know

Ok first if I were you and herd all of the problems people have with Clock Work Mod I would change my Recovery to Amon_ra

The problem you read about is some verisions of CWM. do not support edify script. However the new version of CWM is supposed to have this abilty. That being said I had (at some point) CWM 3.0.0.5 and still had problems.. I switched to Amon_ra and never looked back.. Not only does it support both scripts but gives you alot more options i.e. backing up or not backing up your 4g keys.

as far as uploading your bootanimation that is not possible in this forum how ever you can up load it to media fire and then post a link to your shared -Media Fire- folder (but that would be so some one could down load your bootanimation.zip and use it for them self). If you just want to post a viewing you need to upload it to a public video site such as youtube.. then copy the URL and paste it in your post. ;-)

Upvote 0

Code:

well I think it has to do with the point of your phone booting up. If your boot animation was compresed then your phone's cpu would have to run the process of uncompressing your boot animation. This would cause a delay. The purpose of the boot animation is to keep us occupied while the device boots up .. If we had to wait for the cpu to uncompress the file we would have to wait even longer.......

Upvote 0
Ok first if I were you and herd all of the problems people have with Clock Work Mod I would change my Recovery to Amon_ra

The problem you read about is some verisions of CWM. do not support edify script. However the new version of CWM is supposed to have this abilty. That being said I had (at some point) CWM 3.0.0.5 and still had problems.. I switched to Amon_ra and never looked back.. Not only does it support both scripts but gives you alot more options i.e. backing up or not backing up your 4g keys.

as far as uploading your bootanimation that is not possible in this forum how ever you can up load it to media fire and then post a link to your shared -Media Fire- folder (but that would be so some one could down load your bootanimation.zip and use it for them self). If you just want to post a viewing you need to upload it to a public video site such as youtube.. then copy the URL and paste it in your post. ;-)

OK but did you ever use the 2.6.0.1 Iam guessing this is the stock one. I have 003 Evo. Can I use this one to flash CM7 EX. Or would I still have to download Amon_ra. And if so than where can I find it. I looked at how to install it which it looks like its almost the same way you would flash a splash animation except without the converting right. And the guy who made the zip Iam trying to flash has a link of person who was using 3.0.0.5 to flash it without any problems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY1wt8WA_pA&feature=related
But your telling me Amon_ra is better because it can flash both types of scripts.

No problem I will Media fire and upload it there I really dont care if some one takes this part of the animation as its having this problem with the numerical order of the images. But right now I really want to get the info on the Amon_ra so I can download it and flash this rom. Now if I already made a nandroid back up with my stock version does this mean If I get Amon I need to do another one right.

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html aka's flashing instructions are using TE but you can also PC36img the file and update through hboot

Awesome thanks again I just found this page at XDA
[Recovery] [09-Feb-2011] RA-supersonic-v2.3 - xda-developers

But the instructions are bit confusing. I am suppose to just download the P36img only Or the image file they up there as well.

And The nandroid backing up system they have isnt simple either. For example the stock one I used yesturday I just said yes to nandroid back up and Iam guessing it saved it all. Amon lets you select which I guess is good. Should I just select them all. And the wimax saving Iam really not understanding that. So what your saying is 2.6.0.1 will not work If I want to flash any Cyanogen zip right.

Upvote 0
the easiest I have found is doing it through bootloader.. in that case down load the pc36img file.... the reason amon ra allows you to pick and chose what you want to back up because nandroids take up alot of space and some files need not to be backed up every time you make a nandroid.... if you have one full back kinda like for emergency..and then to save space I only backup the essentials before "say" flashing a new rom.

One note to add any nandroid you have right now will not work with amon... meaning if you change your recovery to amon then you will not be-able to restore to nandroid made with clock work mod and vise versa.......so make a new nandroid if yoiu change

Upvote 0
the easiest I have found is doing it through bootloader.. in that case down load the pc36img file.... the reason amon ra allows you to pick and chose what you want to back up because nandroids take up alot of space and some files need not to be backed up every time you make a nandroid.... if you have one full back kinda like for emergency..and then to save space I only backup the essentials before "say" flashing a new rom.

One note to add any nandroid you have right now will not work with amon... meaning if you change your recovery to amon then you will not be-able to restore to nandroid made with clock work mod and vise versa.......so make a new nandroid if yoiu change

OK yeah I am going to do it through the bootloader and will make a new nandriod backup when I get Amon Ra. So I only need the pc36img right not that other image file they are talking about. Because thats what was getting confusing. So Amon ra will work with both I wont need to worry. Iam really not going to be going crazy doing allot of flashing. I just want to try this CM7 since it has the abilities I talked about.
So once I get Amon I should check every one of the files to make a first nandroid back up.
Should I than delete the CW nandroid back up I have. Whats going to happend to the original CW I have it will get replaced right.

And do I have to do these steps
1) Verify you don't already have flash_image (open terminal and type "which flash_image". If it just says not found, you need to flash it. If it gives you a location (most likely /system/bin/flash_image) your ROM already has this, and you can skip to step 4.

2) (Flash flash_image-signed.zip from recovery.) This is what I mean when I say the other image file

3) Reboot normally when done.
4) Extract recovery.img from the PC36IMG.zip for the recovery you want
5) Copy recovery.img to the root of your sdcard
6) From the terminal type

Whats doesnt make sense to me in these directions is that this should all be done when I put the PC36img.zip on the root of the sd card. Does this mean I have to extract recovery.img and pick the one I want. I just checked the inside the pc36img folder I downloaded and it only had one image file.

Upvote 0
no you dont have to do those steps you posted if you update it through your boot loader its just like when you did the splash screen except this time your pc36img file is a rocovery.img not a splash.img
............you do not need to delete your CWM back ups if you do not want to (if you have one you want to hang on to .. you can always swich back to CWM and restore from that nandroid)

Upvote 0
no you dont have to do those steps you posted if you update it through your boot loader its just like when you did the splash screen except this time your pc36img file is a rocovery.img not a splash.img
............you do not need to delete your CWM back ups if you do not want to (if you have one you want to hang on to .. you can always swich back to CWM and restore from that nandroid)

Ok awesome just want to be safe Iam going to copy the nandroid backup and put it on my comp. Thanks again for being patient. I just want to be sure Iam doing everything correct.

Upvote 0

I tried to load into the boot loader and didnt work. Its on the root of the Sd cars just like my splash images but it didnt load. And I double checked the name wasnt .zip.zip
At first I thought it was that the download version was all upper case letters so I changed it to all lower case and still nothing. It actually says wrong or no image when I reboot into boot loader.
Only thing different I did was I changed from my 8gig sd card that has everything including my nandroid back up and put in a 2gig since I need the space an dont have any on 8gig. But this should not having anything to do as I emptied the 2gig and loaded the pc36img in the same place as my 8gig.

Upvote 0

I tried to load into the boot loader and didnt work. Its on the root of the Sd cars just like my splash images but it didnt load. And I double checked the name wasnt .zip.zip
At first I thought it was that the download version was all upper case letters so I changed it to all lower case and still nothing. It actually says wrong or no image when I reboot into boot loader.
Only thing different I did was I changed from my 8gig sd card that has everything including my nandroid back up and put in a 2gig since I need the space an dont have any on 8gig. But this should not having anything to do as I emptied the 2gig and loaded the pc36img in the same place as my 8gig.

Mr Ed any suggestions I want to install this rom and the booat loader not reading a perfectly good pc36img.zip file that is written correclty is not making any sense.

Upvote 0

Mr Ed any suggestions I want to install this rom and the booat loader not reading a perfectly good pc36img.zip file that is written correclty is not making any sense.

Not to sure why its not talking . I have.never had that problem. .. have u tried the other method. Using te

Upvote 0
Not to sure why its not talking . I have.never had that problem. .. have u tried the other method. Using te

Whats th TE method. The only ting I try is switching back to the 8gig and try that. Just dont understand why it would not work on this 2gig Iam using.

Udate it was the SD card for some reason. So now I got Amon ra Iam going to now try and flash this new rom finally.

Upvote 0
Well if u switched your card try the other one. Although I don't think that is the problem.

Te...terminal emulator ...go back to the xda thread and. Down load the other file and then fallow the instruction that u posted eirlier

Yeah it was the sd card which I really would like to know why it would have that problem. Iam no going to load all the CM7 files on the other SD card thatt didnt want to load the pc36img I know it wont have a problem saving files as I have used it before for that purpose. Iam will also save the new nandroid back up on the 2gig because I have space on it now. It should be fine

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones