• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Crockpot Cooking

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
We use our crockpot some across the winter months. We once used it a lot, slow cooking roasts, stews, and soups. Between the pressure cooking and the smoker, the crockpot rarely sees a lot of cooking. My son recently cooked a turkey breast in his crockpot and tomorrow I'm cooking some chicken breasts in mine. I've always all but submerged meats when using the pot. The turkey breast cook that I'm somewhat duplicating has very little liquid. A half cup of broth is all that's used. The meat is lightly oiled and rubbed then placed in the crock on high heat for three to four hours... 165°. It's all new to me but my son raved about his turkey so I'm giving it a go. Wish me luck.

my ninja foodi can slow cook like the crockpot. never used that feature before. but, for xmas eve i'm gonna attempt to make pot roast in it. so this will be first slow cook that i have not done in a while. i used to use a Le Creuset dutch oven for my slow cooks....somehow i lost it in my many moves before.

.......and good luck.

Upvote 0
I haven't cooked a roast in the crock in years. Slow cooked with potatoes and carrots.. a bit of onion.... bay leaves....
Chili was another fav in the crock. Split peas and ham oh my!
We are on our second crock. The first was the traditional round guy and I have no idea what became of it. Our current cooker is somewhat elongated and has temp and time settings. It's been around for many years now but really hasn't been used that much. I'm anxious to try this chicken cook in it. I do have a 3# turkey breast that will see the crock if the chicken is good.

Upvote 0
LOL! Just talked to the wife, I guess it's been 20 years since we used a crock pot. We use to put beans celery, carrots, onions, peppers, potatoes and lean ground beef in the crock pot. Then we would fill it up with water and add a couple of bouillon cube and let it cook for 8 hours on low.

Upvote 0
I have a crock pot that is well used, I make roast that melts in your mouth, with it !

Have also cooked boneless pork chops, chicken and other meals in it ...

I usually put a small amount of water in the bottom and let the meat and add ins provide the juice.
I find this fascinating. I used the crock for years and never considered cooking without it having a lot of liquid. I'm excited! An entirely new cook for me.

I'm using a half cup of chicken broth for liquid for my cook. I have some in the fridge but I think I'll replace it with a low sodium version. I also want to replace my dried thyme with a use date of this century. :) And I am hungry for potatoes so they are on my shopping list.

Upvote 0
My crockpot chicken breasts were pretty good. I left salt out of the rub so they needed a bit. The wife salted hers to taste. If there was a problem, it was the breasts cooked in less than half the time the recipe suggested. 1.5 hours when they advocated 3-4 hours saw dinner done way early. I let the chicken rest and then warmed them up. Though they were still moist, I'm quite sure they would have been best if eaten shortly after they reached target temp of 165°. I'll do them again. I will cook them on low instead of high and try to guess the meal to be ready at the right time to eat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones