• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Custom ROM]-Tagged

If I remap the search button to switch between CPU governors button, what should they be?

• Powersave & SmartassV2

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • Powersave & Performance

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Powersave & Ondemand

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Cycle through all of the governors, we'll stop when we get to the one we want.

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters

Hashtag

Android Enthusiast
May 28, 2012
Carl Junction, Missouri
TAGGED

This is based off of LeslieAnns Aeneas ROM. I do not have a cool greek name/mythological story for it like the others have for theirs, and I wish I would have thought of that as well.

What does it have/What is different?
JellyBean Theme
JeallyBean Lockscreen
Lots of scripts that I have modified to work with the LG Optimus Elite
Fast, yet stable
giantpunes custom kernel
Notifications Toggle
Slimmed down, bloatware taken out and build.prop edits made for a lighter UI/better system
sqlite server from android 4.0 for better sqlite management.
Odexed .apks

What do some of the scripts do?
Enables journalism on certain partitions for a faster read/write time
Aligns .apk packages for more efficient operation(Think of it like fragmentation, but for your phone)
Changes values of the phones swap space, this is similar to Virtual Memory that you see on Windows PC's
Tweaks net speed values beyond what build.prop can do
Automatically removes temporary files that are no longer needed, this frees up space for other apps to use.
Forces phone to mount partitions with no air time, meaning that the lag of messing with partitions is reduced.
Increases values of the kernel, allowing the phone to process more threads at once.
Keeps home launcher in memory, more so than what build.prop can do. This means that the amount of time between you pressing home, and home showing up, is tiny.
Optimizes the values for keeping important services(like phone, messaging, User Interface,etc.), in RAM, and keeping non-important services(like NFC,calender,etc.), in swap memory.

What does Odexed mean?
Odexed is the opposite of deodexed. What these come down to is usability vs efficiency. Deodexed .apks are compressed, meaning that whenever the device needs to access the app, it has to uncompress it first. Odexed .apks are uncompressed, so when the phone needs to use the app, it doesn't have to mess around with it a whole bunch. Deodexed are easier to theme because everything is in one place, but Odexed .apks are faster, more stable, and are spread out in multiple parts. As long as you don't plan on using this ROM as a base for your own, then having an Odexed ROM will do nothing but help your phone. You will not have any clutter, and will only see the speed increase. This also saves battery life due to less time spent uncompressing .apks.

The size of this ROM has been taken down from Aeneas original 157mb, to 110mb(for Slim version). My goal for this ROM was to create a ROM that is light, minimalistic, and gets out of the way so you can do what is important to you. Like any ROM, the first initial boot will be slightly slow. But once it gets going and once you go to the Antutu CPU app to enable the higher frequencies, you will see the speediness of this ROM.

There are two different types of this ROM, Full-Sized and Slim-Sized. At the core, they are the same. The only difference is that the Full-Sized ROM has things like Live Wallpapers and Google Wallet. In the Slim version, these were taken out to reduce the size of the ROM, and to speed it up.

And please, PLEASE leave me some feedback so I know if I'm doing right or wrong.

Big thanks to Leslie Ann for the ROM, giantpune for the CWM and kernel, and st@matis for allowing me to modify some of his scripts.

Latest Version -- 1.0.5 --

Slim Version(110mb) -- http://www.sendspace.com/file/0srqxh
md5sum - e10969541fceb5f0409aabb3089ecc69

Full Version(126mb) -- http://www.sendspace.com/file/vu6n83
md5sum - f9171b8fdda9cbd4ca794e9609137bff

Attachments

• device-2012-10-08-133726.png
    device-2012-10-08-133726.png
    107 KB · Views: 874
  • device-2012-10-08-133755.png
    device-2012-10-08-133755.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 698
  • device-2012-10-08-133808.png
    device-2012-10-08-133808.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 741
  • device-2012-10-08-133738.png
    device-2012-10-08-133738.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 695
  • device-2012-10-08-133657.png
    device-2012-10-08-133657.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 738
CHANGE LOG

v1.0.0 -- 9/30/12 -- First Release

v1.0.1 -- 10/1/12 -- Fixed Bugs
-Fixed bug that force closed Play Store; Caused by ram_optimization script
-Minor build.prop tweaks
-Included Antutu CPU tuner in ROM
-Modified updater-script for a cleaner flash of adrenelyn script, and made it look better.
-Included Notification Toggle app(Thanks to Curtis1973 for the idea) and changed some UI stuff

v1.0.2 -- 10/2/12 -- Battery life script
-Edited some scripts inside of the ROM. Now they work together with giantpunes kernel much better and offer a far longer battery life (see new screen shot for an example of me leaving it overnight, then using it as I regularly do the next day).

v1.0.3 -- 10/6/12 -- General edits
-Changed out the battery icon and made all status bar icons the same colour. Also swapped for rotating waiting ring.
- Removed the Adrenelyn scripts in favour of multiple scripts that I have customized to work better for this device.

v1.0.4 -- 10/8/12 -- Performance and Lightened the .zip
-Removed multiple .apks and several unused libs to bring size to 108mb, down from 137mb
-Changed the boot animation colour to be blue instead of green.

v1.0.5 -- 10/16/12 -- Full/Slim versions, and automatic Odexing of the ROM.

Upvote 0
Downloading now I will give feedback and quadrant scores btw I'm a flash junkie I've flashed every from so far and I'm currently stuck on harmonia but this may change my mind I have my fingers crossed oh and which one of giantpunes kernels is it running and if I flash a different one over the rom will it remove the adrenelyn 3.0 on it oh and one last thing you should supercharge this rom for more awesomness!!

Edit: Nevermind I think giantpunes kernels are already supercharged

Upvote 0
Downloading now I will give feedback and quadrant scores btw I'm a flash junkie I've flashed every from so far and I'm currently stuck on harmonia but this may change my mind I have my fingers crossed oh and which one of giantpunes kernels is it running and if I flash a different one over the rom will it remove the adrenelyn 3.0 on it oh and one last thing you should supercharge this rom for more awesomness!!

Edit: Nevermind I think giantpunes kernels are already supercharged

I got a 2825 in quadrant with this ROM, and I haven't made any complicated modifications to it so I'm exited to see what it could turn out to be. This is on the lgoe_pernel_09_28_23_32. And yes, the adrenelyn 3.0 would go away because it is built into this specific ROM.

Upvote 0
I got a 2825 in quadrant with this ROM, and I haven't made any complicated modifications to it so I'm exited to see what it could turn out to be. This is on the lgoe_pernel_09_28_23_32. And yes, the adrenelyn 3.0 would go away because it is built into this specific ROM.

I got 2789 and I switched back to harmonia because every time I install an app Google play fc's are you having same issue btw I had it set to 1.6ghz Max/min

Upvote 0
Your overlcock was too high.

This is why kernels should never be pre-overclocked, not everyone can go that high. Some can only run stock speed.

But I had the same thing set on harmonia with no issues and I already tried underclocking to fix the problem but that didn't work and yes btw I did clear cache in recovery before flashing.

Upvote 0
Isn't that just Holo launcher and Holo locker?

It has both of those, and a custom Framework.apk/SystemUI.apk

You should include the latest best PRL in your rom as well. :]

Everybody says that PRL's don't make a difference on virgin mobile, because vm doesn't roam. Now, idk whether that is true or not, but even if I wanted to I don't think I could. I haven't seen a way to manually install a PRL into a rom yet.

Yup, first thing I did was tone his overclock down with Voltage Control from the Play Store. Maybe you could bake it into your ROM if you're going to include his kernel.

Great idea. Thanks for that, it's included into the new one.

But I had the same thing set on harmonia with no issues and I already tried under locking to fix the problem but that didn't work and yes btw I did clear catch in recovery before flashing

Sorry about that, I found the problem and it's been fixed. Thanks for letting me know! Try out the new version, 1.0.1 :]

Upvote 0
Does this have swipe to clear notification and/or power toggles in the notifications or plans to add these?

It doesn't have these right now, but that shouldn't be too hard to add. I'm thinking about pulling apart the framework.apk and SystemUI.apk from a Jellybean phone and then mixing and matching it with ours. Because right now, the jelly bean theme is only there thanks to two extra apps constantly running in the background. So if I make a custom framework/SystemUI then it could free up memory, be more stable,and allow for a better theme.

If you guys want features just let me know and I'll see what I can do :]

Upvote 0
This is why kernels should never be pre-overclocked, not everyone can go that high. Some can only run stock speed.

The kernel supports overclocking, which just takes the list of supported speeds and adds a few more higher numbers to that list. There isnt a flag for any entries in the list to say "this one is overclocked" and "this one is stock". Then the scaling governors get that list and use their algorithm to select a value from the list. There is a default governor selected at the time the kernel is compiled, but if the rom is using the stock /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh, then it doesn't matter what default the kernel uses, it will be changed to ondemand by that file. The file also sets some parameters like the minimum speed. If you want to, you can explicitly set the max speed there to the stock 1GHz. Then it shouldn't go over 1GHz unless the user or some other program actually comes in later and changes that max to a higher number.

Reactions: Leslie Ann
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones