• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom ROMs on the Shine Plus are finally here!

Any ideas on how to get apps2sd to work? I notice in the Ally forum that it requires some ext2 modules under the lib folder. I tried duplicating the apps2sd update.zip (copying the files to my ROM, modifying my rom's update-script and init.rc) but my ext2 partition never gets mounted by apps2sd. Probably the Shine Plus kernel requires it to be compiled for ext2?

Upvote 0
My friend was signing a new contract for a new phone and knows nothing about phones so when I saw future shop had a 3 day sale 0 dollars for the desire plus a 100 dollar gift card I told him that was the phone to get. Only thing is he is not good with touch screens so I told him if he didn't like it we could just trade phones. I was actually hoping he would go for that but no luck he ended up really liking the desire and got used to the touch screen. After setting up tethering for him to replace his dial up and land line I realized I do like my shine a lot. Maybe just cause I'm used to it after 2 months but it seems easier to use. I hope long term I can overclock it because I'm going to be living with it for about 3 years.

Upvote 0
That's normal ;) This ROM does not wipe your data partition. If you want to clear everything then do a factory reset or select 'wipe' from the recovery menu.

Nice to know, thanks for the help. This is a gift for my girlfriend, so I'm trying to get it to run as smooth as possible, she doesn't like touch screen phones all that much, but LOVES qwerty keyboards... So it was either the oh so expensive Desire Z or this one! I'm sad to see the lack of support it has... It really is a nice phone. Can't wait for Froyo on it though, it will speed it up ALOT!

Thanks for your support dsi!

Upvote 0
I hope it's ok to ask this here, but I understand what benefits I got from rooting, as far as different apps that I can install now, and being able to load custom roms. But what benefits may the custom roms give me besides being able to overclock or load apps to the SD card? (which I actually can't until there is a custom kernel anyways if I understand right).

Upvote 0
btw, once exams are over after next week, i will have some spare time and I'm willing to use my phone to try and help with the development, as long as we can be really careful not to brick it! Let me get this straight, if it gets bricked while rooted and modified, it can't be unrooted, so might it be possible for LG to figure that out, when checking it for warranty repair and then deny the warranty? I don't have a device exchange plan or anything.

I would like to long term be able to overclock and store appds on the sd card.

Upvote 0
if it gets bricked while rooted and modified, it can't be unrooted, so might it be possible for LG to figure that out, when checking it for warranty repair and then deny the warranty?

You can use the recovery menu if your device is bricked due to a bad ROM. Use it to flash a new ROM or restore a Nandroid image.

If you are rooted and have a custom recovery image, you can still return to stock version by restoring the stock recovery image and undoing the root, either by Z4Root app or even by manually removing the Superuser.apk (although 'su' binary will still be there but not easily visible). See instructions on first post, which I just updated now.

Upvote 0
Since I'm a complete noob at this can you explain in stupid terms what I need to do? So far I have rooted the phone with universal androot then installed a properly working busybox whatever that means. Then I installed titanium backup and rom manager as well as cet cpu which I can't use at all yet. Is my next step just to download the recovery image from the top of this thread?

Upvote 0
Since I'm a complete noob at this can you explain in stupid terms what I need to do? So far I have rooted the phone with universal androot then installed a properly working busybox whatever that means. Then I installed titanium backup and rom manager as well as cet cpu which I can't use at all yet. Is my next step just to download the recovery image from the top of this thread?

I've updated the instructions at the top... hope that helps!

Reactions: 350Rocket
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones