• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod 7 Unofficial Beta 5 02/20/12

It's ONLY compatible if you already have cm7 installed

It will not partition your card for you

It only moves the apps to the PRE-EXISTING partition, on a cyanogenmod based ROM

To partition the card, boot into cwm, select advanced, then partition sdcard THIS WILL WIPE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR CARD

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Just tried to download this app in the market, before loading this rom, to partition the SD card beforehand. Market says it's incompatible. Anyone have a compatible version that works or do I have to have this rom loaded first to be able to download it?

It's ONLY compatible if you already have cm7 installed

It will not partition your card for you

It only moves the apps to the PRE-EXISTING partition, on a cyanogenmod based ROM

To partition the card, boot into cwm, select advanced, then partition sdcard THIS WILL WIPE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR CARD

Thanks for picking up my slack LV. I haven't been able to get back in here as much as I would like.:thumbup:

@ Titeanium, Lordvincent pretty much said it all. CM7 must be installed in order for S2E to be compatible. Once you have CM7 installed just follow the instruction that I posted above. :)

Upvote 0

Well, that explains what was happening with the HQ option crazyness in Youtube. I had simply thought that it was an incompatibility between the Youtube app and the Prevail itself, LOL.

...Anyway, I assume I'm gonna need to flash it in CWM. And one more thing -- in that thread you linked, one of the posters mentioned having an Adreno update made by Hroark....you wouldn't happen to have that one handy, eh?

*Goes off to CWM and to the forum search options*

Upvote 0
Love this mod but the whole MMS over wifi issue finally got to me after nearly a year. I know it's an AOSP (ASOP?) issue combined with a driver conflict that causes this problem. It's not just the Samsung Prevail as this issue affects CM7 on several handhelds. Not sure if any other mod developers found work arounds or fixes to this issue.

It's a shame it never got fixed or a (working) workaround was found. Yes I tried the GoSMS approach and it didn't work ;)

It's the one issue that drove me away. Had to move to CTMOD.

If anyone knows of a fix (that doesn't involve using GoSMS) or something please let us know.

Upvote 0
Try This:
CWM_Installer.zip

Let me know if it works or not

Cool.. I'll give this a try either tomorrow or on the weekend! I would have to flash my phone again since I switched to CTMOD to test it out. :D

I'm curious as to what you did really. I see it's the MMS.apk file. Did you modify it? Hroark13 tried to fix this problem many MANY times and never could get it to work. It turns out its a common issue with CM7 and ASOP roms. Something about phone drivers and such. There was a long thread about it and research done but it really didn't get anywhere. I believe because a lot of people switched to CM9 which seem to have fixed that problem.

I've seen some modders find workarounds for it but never truly fixed it.

In any case, I would like to thank you for giving it a go. :D I'll get that tested for you as soon as I can.

Reactions: The~Skater~187
Upvote 0
Cool.. I'll give this a try either tomorrow or on the weekend! I would have to flash my phone again since I switched to CTMOD to test it out. :D

I'm curious as to what you did really. I see it's the MMS.apk file. Did you modify it? Hroark13 tried to fix this problem many MANY times and never could get it to work. It turns out its a common issue with CM7 and ASOP roms. Something about phone drivers and such. There was a long thread about it and research done but it really didn't get anywhere. I believe because a lot of people switched to CM9 which seem to have fixed that problem.

I've seen some modders find workarounds for it but never truly fixed it.

In any case, I would like to thank you for giving it a go. :D I'll get that tested for you as soon as I can.

It is the stock 2.3.7 AOSP MMS.apk with a different apn config. Not sure if it will work with CM7, but i know it does work with AOSP and stock based Roms.

Upvote 0
Try This:
CWM_Installer.zip

Let me know if it works or not

Okay I tried this out. Actually it sorta worked. I had to press the 'Download' button a few times. But it did download! One of the times it switched to 3G downloaded the images and then switched back to WIFI. So in theory it's working you just have to slap the download button a few times.

Skater can the modifications you've made be done to the MMS.apk that comes with Hroarks CM7 package?

The only reason I say this is because the one that comes with his package has MANY more settings. Including splitting messages over the 120 character limit, adding numbers 1/2 2/2 etc..

Not only that but it's a bit better on my eyes. All these completely black mod UI's hurt my eyes sometimes. Hard to distinguish between things.

Upvote 0
It is the stock 2.3.7 AOSP MMS.apk with a different apn config. Not sure if it will work with CM7, but i know it does work with AOSP and stock based Roms.

Small update. Looks like the Mms.apk from the standard CM7 install from Hroark does the same thing. There are times (not always) that repeatedly smashing the 'Download' button may download the MMS. It seems to be an issue with it turning off the wifi for a sec to use 3g to download the mms.

Odd really...

Upvote 0
Small update. Looks like the Mms.apk from the standard CM7 install from Hroark does the same thing. There are times (not always) that repeatedly smashing the 'Download' button may download the MMS. It seems to be an issue with it turning off the wifi for a sec to use 3g to download the mms.

Odd really...

Interesting. I'll have to see what i can come up with.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if something may have went wrong, but I have this issue that if I put my phone into sleep, it'll just power off after a minute...

I've tried KoumaKernal but go the bootloop problem, so I did a full wipe and reinstalled CM7, adreno drivers, youtube fix.

Just wondering if I should just try a complete wipe again and try fresh, or if maybe some option I have enabled is causing it

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if something may have went wrong, but I have this issue that if I put my phone into sleep, it'll just power off after a minute...

I've tried KoumaKernal but go the bootloop problem, so I did a full wipe and reinstalled CM7, adreno drivers, youtube fix.

Just wondering if I should just try a complete wipe again and try fresh, or if maybe some option I have enabled is causing it

Koumakernel is definitely not compatible.

you shouldn't be experiencing it shutting off when you turn the screen off. You may want to reflash and start fresh.

Have you tried katokernel? There is a cm compatible version and it offers more governors and I/o schedulers.

Upvote 0
Koumakernel is definitely not compatible.

you shouldn't be experiencing it shutting off when you turn the screen off. You may want to reflash and start fresh.

Have you tried katokernel? There is a cm compatible version and it offers more governors and I/o schedulers.

I will try this out, and just do full wipe like 3 times or so just to be sure

what your minimum frequency at? if low like 98mhz it might power down maybe cuz too slow when sleep? that all I can think of unless it was bad flash

Yea 98mhz at min. I may test it at like 120 maybe see if that does anything.

Upvote 0
I will try this out, and just do full wipe like 3 times or so just to be sure

Yea 98mhz at min. I may test it at like 120 maybe see if that does anything.

I find anything under 320 and mine wouldn't wake either, or if it did it would take a long time...

Reactions: ReRuss
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones