• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

deleting messages

You are going to have to download an app from the market called SMS Quick Delete. That's the only way I have found that you can delete threads over 1000 messages.

The app looked like it crashed on me or wasn't working a couple of times, but if you monitor it. You will notice that they are being deleted. It does take some time to delete, but it will work.

That's the only method that I found to work after searching multiple forums.

If you don't want to deal with this again, probably will want to consider deleting threads after getting over 500 messages.

Upvote 0
So I downloaded the SMS Quick Delete and it still won't delete the longer threads. It just freezes up my phone and causes my messages to close and then I have to reboot to get them back. The SMS QUICK DELETE is neither quick nor does it delete...Is there a way to just delete them through my computer or since I'm rooted is there a file i can just empty!?

Upvote 0
So I downloaded the SMS Quick Delete and it still won't delete the longer threads. It just freezes up my phone and causes my messages to close and then I have to reboot to get them back. The SMS QUICK DELETE is neither quick nor does it delete...Is there a way to just delete them through my computer or since I'm rooted is there a file i can just empty!?

Go into the large thread and click the select all option. Then click delete. A progress bar should come and they should start deleting.

Yes, it is slow. Let it work, check on the progress every 10 minutes or so.

My experience with the app was, it worked for a couple hundred then force closed. I reopened the app and did the same select all and delete. Came back 10-15 minutes later and the progress bar hadn't changed. However, I noticed that the total number of messages on the thread was decreasing. The closer it gets to zero, the faster they delete. Even though the progress bar never changed, I just left it alone and eventually they were all deleted.

I think I had around 1800 messages in one thread and it might have taken 45 minutes. But at least I didn't have to delete in buckets over and over again.

In the future don't let your count get over 1000...that seems to be the break point where you can't delete within an app like Messages or Handcent.

I would suggest around 500 messages, delete the thread. ;)

Upvote 0
found this in another thread.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/36695-text-thread-wont-delete.html#post310118

sms quick delte unfortunately lets the phone sleep so it stops the delete process. this is app is working sofar.

from what i can see you cant choose what texts to delete, but you can choose time frames of when to delete texts ( 1 month old, 2 months old, 1 week old, etc. )

im still using it so if you like ill give feedback when its done.

Upvote 0
i had the same problem earler this week. heres what you have to do.

download sms quick deleat (although its not quick)
wait till you are goin to bed
find the person with the most texts
open their thread by clicking their name
select all
deleat....

it will take over night do do them. i had 4000 on one thread and it took 2 nights to deleat them all. after you get the big ones knocked out, you can select multiple threads with numbers in the hundreds and let them run over night. as you get closer to 0 texts, it runs faster.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones