• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire HD proximity sensor failure

A google search of this problem brought up the only other forum topic so far at XDA-Dev in which someone who has the problem claims that holding the phone up to a bright light will bring it out of lock.

Can someone who has the problem try it and report back? Ta.

Nope, doesn't work with my Maglite shone on the screen/prox.

Receiving calls seems to be Ok, but need to test it some more. Making calls is always the issue.

Upvote 0
I've made & received several calls with no problem at all (not a day old), only time will tell. As soon as more people get their's, the real scope of the problem will be realised, if there is one.

Someone mentioned that it only happens when making calls, which would suggest it's a SW issue.
The more prevalent the issue, the quicker a fix will come.

SIM free UK.

Upvote 0
Indeed, sorry!

----------------------
Phone Identity
HTC Desire HD A9191
----------------------
Software Information

Baseband version
12.28a.60.140eU_26.03.02.08_M

Kernel version
2.6.32.21-g5ed1769
htc-kernel@18000-Build-149#1
Mon Oct 4 22:57:34 CST 2010

Build number
1.28.405.1 CL266215 release keys

Software number

----------------------

Does anybody know a decent app for testing the Proximity sensors? Especially one that's tested as working on the original Desire.

Upvote 0
Indeed, sorry!

----------------------
Phone Identity
HTC Desire HD A9191
----------------------
Software Information

Baseband version

Kernel version
2.6.32.21-g5ed1769

Build number

Software number

----------------------

Does anybody know a decent app for testing the Proximity sensors? Especially one that's tested as working on the original Desire.

mines exactly the same.have you had problems?

Upvote 0
I got mine on Monday, the phone is a thing of beauty (I went from a Nokia N95 8GB!). It does pretty much everything with speed, style & panache - but I have this same problem.

If you're speaking to someone else you need to get them to end the call. Even then I'm left with the 'black screen of death'. I can get it back by giving myself a missed call from another phone.
If you're leaving a voicemail, retrieving your own or on an automated menu then you're screwed! Removing the battery or Sim is the only cure.

You can't turn the device off when it's like that because there's a confirmation screen to 'OK' when you do and you can't see it.

Some Desire forums suggest that the power button can also end the call, but it doesn't work on my HD (plus the screen remains dark after!)

I did find this morning that the bright light thing seems to work - but only if you can point it at the sun (no torches or lightbulbs seem to do it!) Also it seems to make a difference if you turn it to landscape mode while pointing at the sun...

If Steve Jobs worked for htc he'd probably say that's the normal way to end a call..!

Mine came from a phones4u shop & I took it back in this morning. I refused the insurance when I bought it and took them up on their 28 return/replace policy. I spoke to the manager, explained the problem & let him play with it. He has a normal Desire so knew what it should do. He also noticed that when the screen was on and he covered the sensor it didn't go dark.

Anyway, he agreed to replace it with another handset - but there were none in stock today :-(

I was a bit worried as I've read some bad things about them online but he said he'd call tomorrow to let me know if they had new stock, apparently they get 2-3 deliveries a week.

With the exception of this problem I'm really pleased with the phone.

In the UK, on Orange contract:
Android: 2.2
Baseband: 12.28a.60
Kernel: 2.6.32.21
Build/software: 1.28.405.1
(all same as The Hoff)

Upvote 0
Indeed, sorry!

----------------------
Phone Identity
HTC Desire HD A9191
----------------------
Software Information

Baseband version

Kernel version
2.6.32.21-g5ed1769

Build number

Software number

----------------------

All my SW information is the same and i have experienced zero problems luckily. I am a bit worried about the battery life though seems a bit short but then i have been on the thing constantly! What do you guys think?

Upvote 0
After reading all the problems with the proximity sensor and folk unable to make calls i'm going to hold off from buying the phone. Was hoping to get one in my hands this week but will wait a week or 2 until i read more reviews of the phone and if more people are having problems. I certainly don't want to buy early from a faulty batch!
Me too.

Upvote 0
One HTC Desire HD user's experience and his proximity sensor problems:

With the release of the long awaited HTC Desire HD also came an annoying issue, which has been plaguing quite a few people - some having better luck than others.

From my own personal experience, and from what I've read from others, the main problem starts when trying to make outgoing calls. Depending on the lighting conditions, the screen will go black and stay that way.

If you happen to get an incoming call, the screen doesn't go black at all - even if you put your ear to the phone. So, this is only an issue with outgoing calls. This leads me to believe that it's a software issue (thankfully), and can be corrected a lot easier, as opposed to hardware issues.

After playing around with it a bit, here's what happened in different lighting conditions:

Good Light
I dialed the number and a couple seconds before even putting the phone to my ear, the screen went black.

Poor Light
I dialed the number and as soon as I put the phone to my ear, the screen went black.

In both of these lighting conditions it continued to stay in it's black screen state, and it wouldn't wake up from that.

Short Term Fixes
  • Take the battery out, put it back in, and then start up the phone.
  • Plug in earphones - although, these didn't work for me when I left it in the black screen state for an extended period of time.
If you want more information and to read about other peoples experiences, you can check out
the XDA-Developers forum by clicking the link below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=811285

I personally got my phone yesterday evening, and after reading all the threads, it put me off a bit, but still took the risk and got it anyways. It didn't surprise me that mine was having the same issues, but I'm determined to find a fix, or at least hoping that HTC come out with something quick.

*** UPDATE ***

It seems that phones starting with the following serial numbers seem to be affected:
  • HT0A3RX
  • HT0A4RX
  • HT0A5RX
  • HT0A6RX
  • HT0A7RX
  • HT0ADRX

Upvote 0
Bought my HTC Desire HD on Saturday in Phones4U in UK on Vodafone and have the same issue: Black screen when calling. Soft and base band the same as others serial starts HTC0A3RX. Rang HTC Global Warranty lina and they don't know! They told me to go to shop. :/ Done some test calling and there's some Direct sunlight help. Waiting to exchange my phone for a good one.

Upvote 0
Bought my HTC Desire HD on Saturday in Phones4U in UK on Vodafone and have the same issue: Black screen when calling. Soft and base band the same as others serial starts HTC0A3RX. Rang HTC Global Warranty lina and they don't know! They told me to go to shop. :/ Done some test calling and there's some Direct sunlight help. Waiting to exchange my phone for a good one.

Not looking good! :( Definetely going to hold off from buying one now. Mind's made up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones