• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Development progress on Cyanogenmod7/9/10 Updated: 5/10

Are you guys working on your own CM9 or are you working on Giantpunes? You could try his. Sounds like CM7 that he had built works fine if you do just a little bit of work on it. If we get CM7, wont it be easier to port CM9 then? I mean it atleast gives us all a sense of accomplishment for destroying LG's dreams of keeping this device locked down. :D Hopefully something is figured out. Sounds like a few ideas are mentioned as porting a driver from the 3.0 kernel, some kind of "thingy" someone mentioned that is failing, and a eri.xml edit or some sort. Come on everyone, giving up never got us this far. It took several months just to get cwm on this phone, a whole rom should have taken longer anyways. We all expected this. :] I'm not gonna gove up. I'm searching Google all over for why CM9 has failed on other devices and trying to learn about how read problems in logcats, and applying that knowledge to see if it's the same problem other failed CM9 builds have had.

Have you tried getting the support from an official CM Developer at all and asking one to help out? Seems like we've got the basic build process done we just need a CM developer to spot the problems for us to work on fixing. With Rukins/jet2xx's builds and Giantpunes. Never give up, no matter how long it takes. That's my motto. :D

Upvote 0
I'm searching Google all over for why CM9 has failed on other devices and trying to learn about how read problems in logcats, and applying that knowledge to see if it's the same problem other failed CM9 builds have had.

Or.........how about looking at CM9's that WORK. I visited CM's website and clicked on "devices". When you scroll down to the LG Optimus phones there are a number of them that already have CM9. Then I looked for a phone similar to the OE and found the Optimus Sol. It has the same GPU and a slightly different Snapdragon chip but overall not too different. Since Android is open source, there would be nothing wrong with downloading, tearing open and studying that zip file......right?? Seems like you would find a wealth of knowledge, tips, methods in there. If you look on XDA, there is a developer, andr00ib, that has a CM9 ROM for that phone that could also be downloaded and extracted to see what works.......right?? Just a little quarterbacking from the couch.......and my .02 worth!!! :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
I'm searching Google all over for why CM9 has failed on other devices and trying to learn about how read problems in logcats, and applying that knowledge to see if it's the same problem other failed CM9 builds have had.

Or.........how about looking at CM9's that WORK. I visited CM's website and clicked on "devices". When you scroll down to the LG Optimus phones there are a number of them that already have CM9. Then I looked for a phone similar to the OE and found the Optimus Sol. It has the same CPU and a slightly different Snapdragon chip but overall not too different. Since Android is open source, there would be nothing wrong with downloading, tearing open and studying that zip file......right?? Seems like you would find a wealth of knowledge, tips, methods in there. If you look on XDA, there is a developer, andr00ib, that has a CM9 ROM for that phone that could also be downloaded and extracted to see what works.......right?? Just a little quarterbacking from the couch.......and my .02 worth!!! :smokingsomb:

This sound like a great idea and it might work (not that i would know i'm far from a developer lol!).

Upvote 0

Or.........how about looking at CM9's that WORK. I visited CM's website and clicked on "devices". When you scroll down to the LG Optimus phones there are a number of them that already have CM9. Then I looked for a phone similar to the OE and found the Optimus Sol. It has the same GPU and a slightly different Snapdragon chip but overall not too different. Since Android is open source, there would be nothing wrong with downloading, tearing open and studying that zip file......right?? Seems like you would find a wealth of knowledge, tips, methods in there. If you look on XDA, there is a developer, andr00ib, that has a CM9 ROM for that phone that could also be downloaded and extracted to see what works.......right?? Just a little quarterbacking from the couch.......and my .02 worth!!! :smokingsomb:

I have the LG optimas S (Sprint) running 4.0.4 laying around in my house. Could trying transferring the ROM to the LG Elite for giggles. lol

Upvote 0
I have the LG optimas S (Sprint) running 4.0.4 laying around in my house. Could trying transferring the ROM to the LG Elite for giggles. lol

I've heard that the Optimus S is the closest to the Optimus Elite. I would try porting CM from the S to the Elite, if anything. That, I would think, would be the easiest way to go about it.

Upvote 0
I've heard that the Optimus S is the closest to the Optimus Elite. I would try porting CM from the S to the Elite, if anything. That, I would think, would be the easiest way to go about it.

Haven't turn that bad boy on for 4-5 months. Just turned it on still works and found me a SD card for it in my house. :D

Upvote 0
He's not going to flash it as-is, that would be silly. In terms of CM and compatibility, I've heard it's the most similar to the Elite, so getting CM on the Elite using the CM for the S as a starting point, should be the easiest way to get CM onto the Elite. With modifications, of course. And realistically there's a chance of bricking your phone with anything you might do post-rooting. But then, there's Nandroid too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones