• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Diagnostic Software for HTC Desire HD

I have a HTC Desire HD and I've been really unhappy with it for months. Nothing seems to work very well on it including:
* Synching email is problematic. I have to manually synch because if I set the phone to background synch it doesn't synch properly and just eats battery. When I manually synch it it takes several attempts before it can be synched. Sometimes this involves resettting the phone.
* Ditto contacts
* Ditto calendar
* Quite often it disconnects from the data network (despite having good signal coverage) and I have to go Settings/Wireless&Networks/Mobile Network and then disconnect from the network and manually reconnect

There are many other things that don't work properly and I'm coming to the conclusion that there is something actually wrong with the phone. I've already taken it back to the network operator I bought it from (Three, in the UK) but they won't exchange it saying that I must be doing something wrong with the phone. If I want them to do anything for me then I've got to be able to prove to them that the phone is indeed faulty.

Does anyone know if there is any diagnostic software that can be run on the phone? Something that will check the various items of hardware etc?

If there's no such thing then it would be great to get any advice regarding a) fixing the phone or b) proving that the phone is faulty.

There are a few logging apps that will capture errors. They also capture loads of other events so you'll end up with large text files that will only probably be decipherable by a software developer.

Nonetheless, it might provide you with a way of being able to tell your provider that you have given them the information they requested, so now the responsibility is theirs.

Have a look at these:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat&feature=search_result
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.xtralogic.android.logcollector&feature=search_result

I've used the first, but not the second.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Hi there john_g and El Presidente, and thanks for your replies.

I have physically showed them the problem but they say that they are not responsible for the apps running on the phone. That even includes the standard email package that comes with the phone because, according to them, its my email provider, not the phone software. My email provider is Google and I actually got a Mountain View engineer to test their Android reference phone with my account - and it worked fine with their phone.

Three do say that they will fix the phone for me but they refuse to give me an equivilant phone while mine is being repaired and that it will take more than a week to get my phone back. In other words, they're trying to put me off.

I really need some way of proving to them that the phone doesn't work because with that I could threaten to take them to the small claims court.

Thank you both for your help. :)

Upvote 0
Hi there john_g and El Presidente, and thanks for your replies.

I have physically showed them the problem but they say that they are not responsible for the apps running on the phone. That even includes the standard email package that comes with the phone because, according to them, its my email provider, not the phone software. My email provider is Google and I actually got a Mountain View engineer to test their Android reference phone with my account - and it worked fine with their phone.

Three do say that they will fix the phone for me but they refuse to give me an equivilant phone while mine is being repaired and that it will take more than a week to get my phone back. In other words, they're trying to put me off.

I really need some way of proving to them that the phone doesn't work because with that I could threaten to take them to the small claims court.

Thank you both for your help. :)

Can you not get something in writing from the Mountain View engineer who tested using their android reference phone, then use that to "threaten" three?

If they give you a phone for the meanwhile, then surely it would have to be able to do the same thing as the phone that is being fixed? I'd kick off and say that your contract includes mobile web access and that you want the same (or very similar) phone whilst your's is being fixed? Can't you ask them to replace it as a faulty handset?

Upvote 0
^^Yarr. Quite frankly, 3's attitude is terrible.

In your first post, you mentioned resetting the phone, is that just turning on and off, or do you mean a factory reset?

Can you try an email app which supports push email as opposed to pull (push means your mail account will forward mail automatically to your handset where as pull means your handset "asks" for it). The stock email app on the handset should do this, you could also try K9.

It won't solve the calendar issues though, but you might want to give it a whirl?

Upvote 0
^^Yarr. Quite frankly, 3's attitude is terrible.

In your first post, you mentioned resetting the phone, is that just turning on and off, or do you mean a factory reset?

Can you try an email app which supports push email as opposed to pull (push means your mail account will forward mail automatically to your handset where as pull means your handset "asks" for it). The stock email app on the handset should do this, you could also try K9.

It won't solve the calendar issues though, but you might want to give it a whirl?

Does sound a bit crap on 3's part TBH!

I'd call in to a store and demand to speak to the manager... if they don't do anything to help you, then you wanna phone them up and complain about the people in the store and, if you kick up enough of a fuss, they will back down!

Upvote 0
Thanks once again for your replies. I am really wishing that I'd come across Android Forums sooner.

I'm thinking that I probably will have to go to the store and kick up a fuss if I want to get anything done. But I'd much rather just to be able to gather evidence and quietly present them with it.

Needless to say, I'd advise anyone to give the Three network a wide berth in the UK. Not only do they treat their customers in a shoddy way, their coverage sucks too. I signed up with them because they were cheaper than the other networks. Now I know why. :(

Upvote 0
Thanks once again for your replies. I am really wishing that I'd come across Android Forums sooner.

I'm thinking that I probably will have to go to the store and kick up a fuss if I want to get anything done. But I'd much rather just to be able to gather evidence and quietly present them with it.

Needless to say, I'd advise anyone to give the Three network a wide berth in the UK. Not only do they treat their customers in a shoddy way, their coverage sucks too. I signed up with them because they were cheaper than the other networks. Now I know why. :(

3 are okay so long as you have a 1 month rolling contract and on SIM only. Its ideal for me to get my all you can eat data and find their coverage and net speed better than Virgin aka T-Mobile. I would never tie myself to them thats for sure but have had many happy years on PAYG and now on the rolling contract.

Upvote 0
Its ideal for me to get my all you can eat data

I'd be loving all you can eat data... there'd be no stoping me... I'd be ALL over the mobile data and not worry about it!! :D

I would never tie myself to them thats for sure but have had many happy years on PAYG and now on the rolling contract.

It is the cheapest way to get a decent phone... ok... over the length of a 2 yr contract, it doesn't work out too cheap, but it is cheaper than having the initial outlay on a phone! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
It is the cheapest way to get a decent phone... ok... over the length of a 2 yr contract, it doesn't work out too cheap, but it is cheaper than having the initial outlay on a phone! :rolleyes:

I agree its why I took out the Desire with Virgin but gave the sim to my wife to use. I then had a mate sell me his Desire HD for a tonne. Giving me the Desire and DHD. I then bought my wife the SE X10 Mini Pro for a tonne and she uses that with the Virgin SIM. I use my Desires with the 3 SIM :D if the EVO 3D gets some decent community dev support then I may relinquish my Desires and use the money from the sale of those to help pay toward it. If not I'll wait for the contract to come up for upgrade and see what I can get then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones