• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dialer screen changes

zitsky

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
I swear I didn't change anything but yesterday I notice my dialer screen has changed. It now had:

* a microphone icon
* dial/call icon
* video call icon
* delete/backspace

The microphone icon makes me choose an application every time I use it. I definitely don't recall ever having this button on the dialer screen.

I did go into settings to turn off the video call option but that didn't change the dialer screen. About 30 minutes after changing it the button disappeared from the dialer screen, so that is finally gone.

How do I get rid of the microphone icon and get the dialer screen back the way it used to be?

I swear I didn't change anything but yesterday I notice my dialer screen has changed. It now had:

* a microphone icon
* dial/call icon
* video call icon
* delete/backspace

The microphone icon makes me choose an application every time I use it. I definitely don't recall ever having this button on the dialer screen.

I did go into settings to turn off the video call option but that didn't change the dialer screen. About 30 minutes after changing it the button disappeared from the dialer screen, so that is finally gone.

How do I get rid of the microphone icon and get the dialer screen back the way it used to be?

Hello and welcome to Android Forums zitsky :)

Congratulations! From your description, it sounds as though you have been Lollipopped.

Go to Settings > About phone > Android version... and see if it says, "Android 5.0".

If not, which model of Galaxy S5 do you have and what firmware are you running at the moment. See #1.2 & #1.8 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours??? for how you can obtain these details.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums zitsky :)

Congratulations! From your description, it sounds as though you have been Lollipopped.

Go to Settings > About phone > Android version... and see if it says, "Android 5.0".

If not, which model of Galaxy S5 do you have and what firmware are you running at the moment. See #1.2 & #1.8 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours??? for how you can obtain these details.

No, see that is what is so bizarre about this whole thing. I am still on 4.4.4. I've been rejecting the 5.0 update every time it comes up because it doesn't remember that I keep rejecting it.

I can't understand why there would be changes to my dialer now, after all this time. I am fairly technical but this minor problem has me stumped.

Upvote 0
Really? I've not heard of forced upgrades to 5.0!

I though the some carriers forced the update on their customized version phones, sure Verizon was one.

Kim Jong-un, Supreme Leader of North Korea, lies awake at night wondering how he can possibly ever achieve the same ruthless, totalitarian, control that Verizon has over its customers! ;)

Upvote 0
Verizon has caused me to Disable WiFi forever..............

I have the S5 set to upgrade via WiFi only, so now I am "restricted" to DATA only for internet access.

P i s s on VZW and 5.0, did I mention I don't care for VZW's lolliflop?
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns Data ON

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones