• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DINC, rooting issues, specifically....I cant.

GodTheHamster

Dec 26, 2010
Ive read through about 50+ pages of guides, comments, other peoples issues that appear simmilar, but nothing ive tried seems to work for me.

S/W info
Android: 2.3.4
Radio: 2.15.10.12.20
Kernel: 2.6.35.12-g22d3486
Build: 4.08.605.12 CL389630
Software #: 4.08.605.15 710RD

Hopefully thats whats needed.

oh and HBOOT 1.07 (i think, i'll have to reboot to verify)

So ive tried unrevoked 3.22, and 3.32, with and without the clockwork mod 5.0.2.0, loaded as the custom recovery img.

Ive tried zergrush via adb, using the miniabd_inc, ive tried the HTC super tool, have not tried the HTCDev method yet as I only wanted root to get rid of bloat and be able to clear some various items without a factory reset.

When using unrevoked 3.22 i get failed to flash image, the hboot screen that shows up for a half a second reads something along the lines of image not found, if i try to manually select recovery it shows a updating screen then a droid with a exclamation icon, have to battery pull to get outta that.

3.32 just fails. saying something about firmware being too new.

HTC supertool runs zerg prep (goes to fast to see last line of text, im assuming its Hellions with BLUE flames, as thats the result i get trying to zergrush via adp)
Option 2, Tacoroot method does nothing.
3, attempt perm root gives me a big flashy screen with ROOTED at the bottom but the text clearly shows it did not write the files due to permissions.

So im not completly familliar with some of the terminology. booting into recovery should give me a text base list of some options? does the phone come with a stock recovery? as i get nothing when choosing this from the HBOOT screen.

fast boot loops to bootloader and back to HBOOT and bootloader again, does not seem to do anything else.

ive seen reference to flashing superuser....I was under the impression that superuser was just an app and was loaded after root was acheived on the android system, which is just write permissions i thought. and this s-on, s-off, is this only valid for HTC phones, ive rooted a droid, an LG optimus M, and a moto razrmaxx with no issues, this DINC is giving more trouble then the most virus maleware ridden PC ive ever fixed.

any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Im no stranger to CLI, and am not squeemish doing things manually if thats what it takes, but i cant seem to find any instruction to manually load images or anything. just these tools that dont appear to work. (which if they dont, doing it manually prolly wont either)

Im assuming the bootloader is locked, which points to the OS which is also locked. so i need to load an unlocked bootloader to be able to load a recovery image which will allow me to edit the OS?

alright well thats enough for now. thanks for the read.

yeah, clockwork went in flawlessly, after realizing that unlocking the HBOOT factoried my phone i installed a few things made a back up via clockwork, then loaded 2.2, s-off and rooted, loaded backup and was g2g. still re adding some apps and such, but everythings working well. got rid of that pesky verizon nonsence they load, and most of the extra HTC BS. thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones