• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disable phone radio on Eris

1998chevy

Lurker
Apr 15, 2010
Hello all,

My wife has an HTC Droid Eris which she is hoping to take with her on her upcoming trip to Italy. I already know that the Eris is CDMA and that Europe is GSM and that the phone will not work over there. Not that I want it too (don't want to pay big roaming fees).

However, what I am hopeful of is that she can disable the cell phone antenna just in case it feels the need to fine some CDMA tower in Europe that I don't know about and rack up a big roaming bill, while still leaving the WI-FI active so that she can connect to wireless hot spots and be able to use the internet to send emails and possibly use Google Translate if she needed/wanted.

Essentially I am looking for airplane mode that doesn't disable the Wi-Fi. Is there such a setting or application that will do this?

Thank you for he help.

tap and hold blank spot on your screen...under htc widgets/settings/toggle3G/toggle wifi etc... is this what you are looking for?

EDIT: sorry I see you want to just disable bars/cell radio like airplane mode but still have wifi

I would think there is an app like that out of the 35000+ apps available but I don't know what it is my apologies

Upvote 0
Yes you can use wifi in airplane mode. Download 1 click widgets from market. After installation long press home screen and go to widgets and then you will scroll down until you see one click widgets airplane mode. Selecting that will own a menu where you can enable wifi during airplane mode.

Upvote 0
1 click Widgets airplane mode with Wi-Fi enabled seems to be just the ticket I needed to turn off the cell phone and keep Wi-Fi enabled. Also it is good to know that all the CDMA towers in Europe (and they are few) are of the wrong frequency to work with US phones.

Thank you all for your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones