• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Its awesomeness will make the rest of your life seem pointless and not worth living, filling you with an unbearable ennui.

That, and it is "only" 800x480. It apparently gets quite warm. It depends what other phones you are looking at, 800x480 isn't a disadvantage if the other phone is QVGA. If it is the HTC Sensation, then that is the only downside I know of.

Upvote 0
It's still not clear how much better Super AMOLED Plus will be in direct sunlight, and we don't know what, if any, improvements have been made to the pixels to prevent uneven aging which many are reporting is leading to image retention. Samsung's track record for software updates is pretty bad to date, at least in the US. You should prepare yourself for Samsung's TouchWiz UI and make sure it's to your liking. The phone looks to be fairly compact given the screen size, as long as you're okay with 4.3". Back is plastic versus a more solid feeling metal in some other phones like HTC's. That's all I can think of without the phone hitting the market and being put through the ringer. Personally, none of this has any impact on my interest in the phone. It has a lot of upside.

Upvote 0
what are some of the disadvantages of getting this phone?

Speaking for myself

1) Complete loss of appetite (too busy with phone)

2) No desire to sleep (too busy with phone)

3) Calling in sick (too busy with phone)

4) Missed Dentist Appt (too busy with phone)

5) Forgot to feed the dog (too busy with phone)

6) Didn't hear the telephone ring (too busy with phone)

Well, you get the picture :D

Reactions: cleanermonkey
Upvote 0
Speaking for myself

1) Complete loss of appetite (too busy with phone)

2) No desire to sleep (too busy with phone)

3) Calling in sick (too busy with phone)

4) Missed Dentist Appt (too busy with phone)

5) Forgot to feed the dog (too busy with phone)

6) Didn't hear the telephone ring (too busy with phone)

Well, you get the picture :D

Didn't you say you were a smartphone addict? Sounds pathological. You need to go see your shrink pronto. I suggest everyone else here as well. The sun is shining outside. Go throw a ball at your neighbors window. Or picnic with some Amish folk.

Upvote 0
@ hahaha what,

Yes it's a Samsung alright, yet I strongly disagree with all the people that bash them. And believe me I'm picky, I have a boat load of all brands of phones, and I'm very outspoken.

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment if there was something I didn't like. I'm not claiming Samsung is perfect or even excellent in some cases, but they've come a long ways in the last four years and the turning point, the first very good smartphone, is the Galaxy S. The very phone that many people on this forum hate.

And why is that? Because it was most likely their first Android phone. Because they've not taken the time to learn how Android works, and worse, they expect it to be like an iPhone.

Then there's the GPS situation. The one valid complaint that too many obsessed over like their life was over without a properly operating GPS. To make matters worse they blamed it all on Samsung when others like HTC also experienced issues.

Finally I would be remiss if I did not debunk the myth that Samsung holds back on OS upgrades.

Here's the true reason that it does in fact take a long time to obtain Android updates for Samsung.

When Samsung and the four carriers entered into a contract for the Galaxy S, the agreement was that Samsung would offer a substantial discount on the phones, then when software updates were released the carriers would pay for them.

When that time came the carriers changed their minds, decided to play hard ball with Samsung, refusing to pay, which resulted in making Samsung look bad. Eventually things got resolved but the truth was never revealed.

I'm not sticking up for Samsung, as I'm not married to any brand or carrier. I happen to think that HTC makes the best handsets by a narrow margin, Motorola & Samsung tied for second when we talk hardware only.

In my case I've experienced great performance from my Captivate after some optimizing. Then I rooted it,
did some other mods and now it's most definitely one of my favorites.

So that's my take on Samsung :)

Upvote 0
im an average consumer, my personal breakdown is....well....some will say narrow minded, but hey, its my choice isnt it? the beauty of a wide market from which to choose...

Ifone = pfft....not interested, never will be. dont care if it makes me coffee in the morning....no cash will go there. the rest of the sheep out there can take my spot.

motorola = i still have nightmares about the V3X. piece of crap didnt even last 1 year, BOTH mine and the missus with separate issues...bad taste in the mouth, never again. yeah i know the new models are good....sorry, you burnt my trust bridge.

nokia = was great in its day, is now left behind...OVI store? ..yeah type in "failoftheyear.com" and im sure its there. pathetic, dont get me started on the rest.

LG = meh.whatever. they have products that in every corner of a house. im sure they care about their phones as much as their toasters.

SONY = ive had every kind of product and liked it. my CRT of over 15 years going strong only pushed aside for the LCD wide screen. had great support with a claim. i think they dont put phones at the front line but the confidence is there to continue a KNOWN relationship. *contender*

HTC = new guys on the block, look impressive.*contender* for sure.

blackberry = not interested. dont like them at all. maybe its a chick thing.

leading to samsung = leaders in LCD tv panels, never had problems with them. ready to take a good look and watch their development.*contender*

every phone will give you reason to buy it in some way...the better question is as the OP asked, whats the reasons for NOT choosing a phone.
apart from some speculated issues, i cant see much that put ME off. if some of these issues like the heat become true, well...*puts on yoda voice* "there is another..."

Upvote 0
Then there's the GPS situation. The one valid complaint that too many obsessed over like their life was over without a properly operating GPS. To make matters worse they blamed it all on Samsung when others like HTC also experienced issues.

Pretty good post, but I wanted to address the quoted item.

The phone was advertised as having GPS.

I don't think anyone - including myself - "obsessed over like their life was over", but we did want a functional GPS. Samsung's phone, so why is HTC relevant? If we want to compare, why not use devices that _do_ work: our iPhone 4 has outstanding GPS service, my Atrix had just about the same, near perfect performance.

One of the major perks of Android is the more advanced mapping and navigation provided by Google. It reduces the number of devices you need to lug around since it can easily replace a standalone GPS unit in a car, or for hiking/climbing, boating, etc.

The "if you really want GPS buy a Garmin, it's a phone" argument is about as valid a saying "your car stereo doesn't have to work because you bought transportation".

There are dozens of apps that use the GPS for location based services, including things like the camera, restaurant guides, travel apps.

Bottom line: the GPS is a significant part of the smartphone experience for many people and Samsung's handling of it was an example of piss poor customer service.

Upvote 0
I saw that. It's not actually news but for some reason it has made the mainstream news this time - I guess the security firm who wrote about it this time have better PR.

Embarrassing for Apple, but many iCult members are probably happy for Uncle Steve to know that they've been to their local Apple Stores every week. (Yes, that's someone on an Android forum unironically implying that many iPhone users are obsessed. Hypocrisy is fun!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones