• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Discuss all Moto Droid Razr/Maxx HD rumors/release date/speculation/news

Upvote 0
Great device if you don't need to make a call.
However, a lot of people are having good luck with it. If you live in a fringe area, keep your receipt.
If your on the fence about a purchase, buy and try, but you'll pay a 10% restock fee. My error in purchasing cost me $37. No big deal.

I'll have to disagree with you on this. A small percentage of people are having reception issues with the S3. A lot of people are looking at signal bars and dBm readings and assuming poor reception even if they haven't had any dropped calls or data issues. I don't know if there was a bad batch of phones or what, but it seems very odd that there are phones that are beating the Motos in side by side signal performance and phones that are actually worse than the Gnex on a bad day.

My S3's reception is as good if not better than my DX both in real world use and watching the signal strength it reports.

I do feel your pain though. I had a Samsung Saga before the DX and it was terrible at holding a signal. Dropped calls while sitting still if you turned your head the wrong way, and I'm not joking...

All this being said, IF the Fighter/Razr HD would have been a choice when VZN forced our hands to keep unlimited data, I probably would have chose to go with it based on my previous experience with the DX and Saga regardless of whether the S3 had great reception or not. So far, I am not regretting going with the S3.

Upvote 0
I'll have to disagree with you on this. A small percentage of people are having reception issues with the S3. A lot of people are looking at signal bars and dBm readings and assuming poor reception even if they haven't had any dropped calls or data issues. I don't know if there was a bad batch of phones or what, but it seems very odd that there are phones that are beating the Motos in side by side signal performance and phones that are actually worse than the Gnex on a bad day.

My S3's reception is as good if not better than my DX both in real world use and watching the signal strength it reports.

I do feel your pain though. I had a Samsung Saga before the DX and it was terrible at holding a signal. Dropped calls while sitting still if you turned your head the wrong way, and I'm not joking...

All this being said, IF the Fighter/Razr HD would have been a choice when VZN forced our hands to keep unlimited data, I probably would have chose to go with it based on my previous experience with the DX and Saga regardless of whether the S3 had great reception or not. So far, I am not regretting going with the S3.

I tried not to fall into the signal vs. bars thing, but when it came down to it, I've made called with my DX and my wifes Maxx in my bedroom for 1 year and have never dropped a call. I've had several dropped calls in the 4 days I had it.
On my hour long drive to work in weaker areas of only 3G, I'd get pauses in streaming radio playback with the S3. For the past year, streaming has been almost perfect with the DX.
What killed it for me was sitting in bed and the S3 says no connection and I verified I cannot connect to the internet, app store, etc while my wifes Maxx had 3 bars of 4G and was chuckelling at my "new" phone.
Even if it wasn't an issue, I do a lot of GPS use with the DX in my window. The S3 was very difficult to see the smaller road on google maps that were small gray lines. I just wasn't bright enough. That and due to my 1-hour drive each way to work, I stream to my car stereo all the time. Having to unplug the headphone to take a call was a pain also.
Just a few little things that added up to make it not worth it. Really, 9M pre-orders cant all have issues. I just did and will be hoping the Fighter/DC HD is better.
The 4G on the S3 was smoking fast though as well as with WiFi connected.
I've had a lot of issues with restarts with my DX, but have a feeling it needs to have a factory reset to clean it up again. So many things don't uninstall properly when dealing with device location, security, ect. Right now I'm having issues removing Avast.

Upvote 0
I have read what I could find on the Fighter, but haven't seen AMOLED vs. LCD yet. Anyone see a rumor on which way it will go?
I'm torn now between the two.
1) Love the color (really the black) of AMOLED. I have my phone about 1 foot from my head as an alarm clock and the lack of light from a true black is great.
2) The S3 is just too dim compared to a good LCD/IPS.
Guess I'd rather have a good LCD vs AMOLED which is contrary to what I've been wanting for the past 2 years since purchsing my DX.

Upvote 0
I have read what I could find on the Fighter, but haven't seen AMOLED vs. LCD yet. Anyone see a rumor on which way it will go?
I'm torn now between the two.
1) Love the color (really the black) of AMOLED. I have my phone about 1 foot from my head as an alarm clock and the lack of light from a true black is great.
2) The S3 is just too dim compared to a good LCD/IPS.
Guess I'd rather have a good LCD vs AMOLED which is contrary to what I've been wanting for the past 2 years since purchsing my DX.

I believe it is going to be AMOLED, if all the other devices Moto is putting out is any indication.

Upvote 0
I believe it is going to be AMOLED, if all the other devices Moto is putting out is any indication.
Ya, I've seen that writing on the wall. Hopefully it's brighter. Wish it had the OneX screen that I didn't want:D until I got the dim S3 screen:(
I "can" say I hope it's not Pentile, but the S3 was a sharp and beautiful screen. I would not care if the Fighter was pentile really.

Upvote 0
Ya, I've seen that writing on the wall. Hopefully it's brighter. Wish it had the OneX screen that I didn't want:D until I got the dim S3 screen:(
I "can" say I hope it's not Pentile, but the S3 was a sharp and beautiful screen. I would not care if the Fighter was pentile really.

As far as brightness goes all the current Moto phones with Amoled are pretty bright. Razr and Maxx have nice displays.

4.5" HD (720 x 1280) HD ColorBoost

Upvote 0
I'm glad. It has truer color representation.
My only concerns about this phone, as of now, is how the camera will end up, and the battery size.
12+mp is cool and all, but I really want them to fix their lens issues. The Picasa pics didn't look like anything special. iPhone pics looked better than those :(

Aside from those concerns I'm stoked!

and can we stop talking about the S3?

Upvote 0
Ok I have to ask - what am I missing here? True the gnex shipped locked, but it was super simple to unlock, no?

Locked is different then encrypted.
Locked can be unlocked with simple tools. That is why you can root a locked phone before it is even released like the S3. When it is locked you can flash complete ROMs over the existing sytem to include kernals for like radio etc.
Encryped is not hackable. I.e. most VZW phones. S3! You can root, but cannot change the kernals. So, if you have piss poor reception and it's due to software processing, a ROM on a encrypted boot loader will not be able to change it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The atrix seems like a pretty good phone and not middle of the line.
4.5-inch high-definition display
dual-core 1.5GHz processor (I'm not sure if it is S4 though)
1GB of RAM
decent 8-megapixel camera
microSDHC support in addition to 8GB of internal memory
4G LTE connectivity
1780 mAh battery

That pretty much meet all my requirements, except a larger battery. Everything should have at least 2000+ now days. I will not buy a phone without a removable battery unless its huge! That is why the HOX never made my list.

The DF will have:
larger battery
slightly larger screen
larger camera

I hope the DF comes with 2gb ram. That was nice on the S3.
I usually don't take the looks of a phone as a purchase requirement unless it is really fugly, but the leaked DFighter is really nice.

Since i'm new to the Droid fighter / HD intrigue, the fighter and HD are the same right?

Upvote 0
I personally think that there will be some moto fans that are holding out for this device... I just hope its worth the wait.

Yep - I'm one of them. I was too burned by the GNex reception issues to stray from Moto without a really good reason. So I'm sticking to the DX until this thing comes out.

Or, you know, the next ice age. Whichever comes first.

Any day, Moto...

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Yep - I'm one of them. I was too burned by the GNex reception issues to stray from Moto without a really good reason. So I'm sticking to the DX until this thing comes out.

Or, you know, the next ice age. Whichever comes first.

Any day, Moto...

I too, am a hold out. If the Maxx HD lives up to the hype, I'll have one. If not, the GS3 will still be available, possible at a nice discount by then. Until then, my "X" is humming along like a champ. You guys have heard me say it before, my "X" is the best smartphone I ever had.

C'mon, Motorola/Verizon, throw us some info that we can chew on and discuss for awhile!

I remain, patiently/impatiently waiting for the Maxx HD, :smokingsomb:

Reactions: gamersince1976
Upvote 0
After all the GS3 sales will there be anyone still buying when Razr HD releases? Certainly the dozen of us won't be enough.

Ya, every sure snapped up the S3. They just release an update and I'm not sure if it was to help the weak radio. They do have a new unlocked verizon version coming from Samsung directly. However, I'm not huge into roms, mostly root for ad removal, tether, etc. I think I'll still hold out for at least the specks come out on the DF.

Upvote 0
Add me as another Moto holdout.

Through the years...I just had the best experiences with Moto phones...overall. Mainly with phone reception. I'm one of the few that actually uses these phones for calls....lol.

I do think the GS3 is ok, and I plan one having more than Moto phones on my family plan. But I think the RAZR HD will be my main phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones