• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

do you think the eris will still be usable with new applications 2 years from now?

Why a pissing match about speeds? I'm sitting here on a severely slowed down Netbook that could run tons faster but I wanted a VERY portable computer with a long battery life. Isn't it amazing that some people don't necessarily NEED the fastest thing out there? I had one of the fastest laptop cores running on my big laptop. That thing was fun to lug around like a freaking suitcase. (Insert Sarcasm)

Upvote 0
Again, CPU and chipset is exactly the same. MSM7201 and MSM7600 is a SOC meaning multiple chips on one dye.

Except that isn't how it's done. System-on-a-chip means you take the designs from multiple ICs and integrate them on the same die, designing in your own glue to make it all work together.

I NEVER said the SOC is exactly the same I said CPU and chipset are the same....and they ARE, only difference between the SOCs you posted is one is GMS and one CDMA.

They are, except that they're not. One is GSM, you got that part right, but so is the other. The 7600 covers all of the 7200's air interfaces and adds CDMA2K in 1x and EV-DO flavors and, since you're so obsessed with antiquity, IS-95. At also adds an audio CODEC or two, a couple of additional AGPS protocols, a number of camera features like image stabilization and adaptive lighting. All of that falls under the "chipset" heading.

I won't argue that the application CPUs are any different, because they aren't. (Or at least not beyond the small incremental improvements ARM made in the designs they licensed to Qualcomm.) They're both 528 MHz ARM11s with an ARM9 on the side doing modem duty.

What you've been trying to prove by assertion all this time is that when Verizon commissioned HTC to build the Eris, HTC sent Qualcomm a purchase order for a boxcar of whatever old CPUs they had gathering dust in the back of the warehouse, and that simply isn't the case.

I sorta feel bad doing this here 'cause it's kind of off-topic, and I actually have something on-topic to say. Could we get a show of hands for who thinks we should have a separate "Enlighten ArtificialSweetener" thread and ask the mods to sweep all of this crap into it?

--Mark

Upvote 0
Except that isn't how it's done. System-on-a-chip means you take the designs from multiple ICs and integrate them on the same die, designing in your own glue to make it all work together.

They are, except that they're not. One is GSM, you got that part right, but so is the other. The 7600 covers all of the 7200's air interfaces and adds CDMA2K in 1x and EV-DO flavors and, since you're so obsessed with antiquity, IS-95. At also adds an audio CODEC or two, a couple of additional AGPS protocols, a number of camera features like image stabilization and adaptive lighting. All of that falls under the "chipset" heading.

I won't argue that the application CPUs are any different, because they aren't. (Or at least not beyond the small incremental improvements ARM made in the designs they licensed to Qualcomm.) They're both 528 MHz ARM11s with an ARM9 on the side doing modem duty.

What you've been trying to prove by assertion all this time is that when Verizon commissioned HTC to build the Eris, HTC sent Qualcomm a purchase order for a boxcar of whatever old CPUs they had gathering dust in the back of the warehouse, and that simply isn't the case.

I sorta feel bad doing this here 'cause it's kind of off-topic, and I actually have something on-topic to say. Could we get a show of hands for who thinks we should have a separate "Enlighten ArtificialSweetener" thread and ask the mods to sweep all of this crap into it?

--Mark

I think you're the one that needs to be enlightened. He's banned. ;)

Who knows, though, today may be Easter and he comes back like Jesus.

Good post though. I figured he had overrun us with his ridiculous, but one-sided knowledge/argument.

Upvote 0
I think you're the one that needs to be enlightened. He's banned. ;)

Who knows, though, today may be Easter and he comes back like Jesus.

Good post though. I figured he had overrun us with his ridiculous, but one-sided knowledge/argument.

I think Jesus was just insulted by that. ;)

Some of his posts contained pretty good info, but most were filled with so much garbage it was hard to read through. Very much like his task killer thread. All excitement and no real substance.

Upvote 0
Google is changing the way they roll out their OS updates. Since they are winding down with mass OS updates, and because of different phone capabilities, they are moving to extract the various google app features (like nav, maps, listen etc) as installable features. In the next few years the OS will be core system files and less "apps" that phones like the Eris and eventually the incredible will not be able to run.

All phones get old... so if you expect a phone to last( like any other computer) more than 3 years... you are dreaming. Computers barely keep up with the pack for more than 3 years. That's the nature of the tech industry.

Apps will continue to work for many years.. but the hard core future mobile gaming apps... will definitely not work on this phone. But your checkbook, news apps should be backwards compatible for maximum profit from the app developers.

Upvote 0
If they did strip down the os i don't see it as a bad thing. In fact i think it would speed up many things and should have been done from the get go. They need a core and they need it to be rock solid. Fast and stable and then the user can customize their appliance according to their tastes. How much faster would my phone be without all the useless apps taking up space and loading when i turn on my phone? I think it would allow for larger apps to function better and therefore increase the overall performance and its abilities. I don't see it as moving to a platform in which older phones will be left behind, if anything the opposite will happen and older handsets will run better. Have you ever run a stripped down version of Windows XP compared to a normal install? The stripped down version run alot faster, boot times are down from 1-2 minutes to less than 30 seconds and this is even on a netbook where processor speed and memory aren't nearly as much as desktops. Imo its the way of the future and a way to keep older technology running faster and better.

Upvote 0
If they did strip down the os i don't see it as a bad thing. In fact i think it would speed up many things and should have been done from the get go. They need a core and they need it to be rock solid. Fast and stable and then the user can customize their appliance according to their tastes. How much faster would my phone be without all the useless apps taking up space and loading when i turn on my phone? I think it would allow for larger apps to function better and therefore increase the overall performance and its abilities. I don't see it as moving to a platform in which older phones will be left behind, if anything the opposite will happen and older handsets will run better. Have you ever run a stripped down version of Windows XP compared to a normal install? The stripped down version run alot faster, boot times are down from 1-2 minutes to less than 30 seconds and this is even on a netbook where processor speed and memory aren't nearly as much as desktops. Imo its the way of the future and a way to keep older technology running faster and better.

It would be nice if cooked ROMs were like this. Most of them just add and remove features, but what about one that has no visual effects and is Android at its core. No custom UI, just menus, a hairline margin above just being in a command prompt?

Upvote 0
Yeah thats a good idea the only problem is it seems when you remove one core another one quits functioning properly. Most of them are tied together which is a shame. But yeah alot of people like the vanilla rom which is basically a stripped down rom with very few bells and whistles, it runs fast and doesn't take up as much space. Imo google really needs to address the apps on sd card thing and get it going. If it weren't for the fact i was running out of space within a week of having gotten my eris i would have loved to have kept it. The space contraints are what really made me pull the trigger and move on. Other than that i was more than happy with my eris and had it customized exactly the way i wanted it. Oh well, maybe i can talk to wife into letting me root hers ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones