• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you use your EVO instead of your ipod?

My main set up this summer has been my EVO plugged in and hooked up to some powered speakers outside on my deck while watching the kids play. Whilst listening to some old school hip hop on Pandora. So relaxing.

I was unimpressed with Double Twist, so I continued to use my iPod for personal use. Just recently though, I began with Google Music, and it looks promising. My only concern is battery life when not hooked to an outlet. Also, it would be awesome if Google music had an option to buy music directly, this way I could get rid of iTunes.

What's really got me giddy is Spotify. Love it on my laptop, but haven't heard enough good things about the Android App to make me want to become a premium subscriber. Anyone here an EVO Spotify subscriber. Care to share experiences?

Reactions: yellagirl730
Upvote 0
I use my ipod when I need music ONLY. Because it's 'ighter, and has better battery life, and it has more memory for music (I know google music lets me have my entire library too, but I hate its UI, and sometimes streaming music is slow.

That being said, the MiUi themed music player is the best I've ever used. And with the DSP manager, I can make my EVO sound much better than my iPod. So in all, my EVO is a better music player, but when portability and battery life are a concern, I will still use my iPod touch.

Upvote 0
I have to say that while I love love love my EVO, I still prefer the music interface on my iTouch, as well as the fact that it saves battery life on my phone. Mostly, I use my iPod mini (the old-school one with a detachable clip) at the gym and the iTouch with the AUX in the car.

Pretty much sums up my take on it as well. Love my EVO, but I'd rather use the precious battery for things that I couldn't just as easily do on my iPod Touch or my iPad. I play a lot of Words With Friends, too, and the interface on iOS devices for that game is much better (and you have the option of buying thje ad-free version, which is unavailable on Android, for some reason), so I normally reach for my iPod when I'm looking to play that.

Upvote 0
Absolutely I use my Evo now instead of an iPod! I look forward to the day when I can get rid of all Apple products in my house. I use to support them (in fact I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro) but lately they have done a ton of things that really irk me (refusing to support flash on iOS, charging people $100/year to build apps for iOS, building hardware so that you can't replace the battery, patent litigation against HTC, etc.). They have turned into snobby bullies so they can kiss my business goodbye! I just wish people would quit buying iPads...

In any case I installed a 32GB card in my phone a while back and have never even needed my iPod since then. In fact, my old iPod was stolen out of our car one night so my wife keeps the replacement iPod in her car and I just use my Evo in my car. I have a Ford with Sync so I can stream music via bluetooth or plug it into the USB port and use all of the nifty voice commands. I think my SD card is too slow though -- there is an 11 second delay at the beginning of every track before it starts in USB mode. Very annoying so I don't use the USB function right now (though it worked perfectly with the stock 8GB card). Then again I'm usually just listening to NPR on my way to/from work.

I frequently use my Evo to listen to music while I work out at the gym or run. It's great -- I just fire up some music, start tracking my run with runkeeper, and I'm set! The only problem is that the touch screen goes berzerk if I'm too sweaty...but the same thing would happen on an iPod touch or any other touchscreen device.

Love my Evo!

Reactions: ndh777 and xxD44xx
Upvote 0
I could never carry around more than one device. Its just too much hassle. Besides my EVO does everything I need it to do.
I have never owned apple products and I never will. Its not that they are crap its the company that makes them are just too over the top. I can handle dickheads but apple has some colossal dickheads.

Upvote 0
I have to say that while I love love love my EVO, I still prefer the music interface on my iTouch, as well as the fact that it saves battery life on my phone. Mostly, I use my iPod mini (the old-school one with a detachable clip) at the gym and the iTouch with the AUX in the car.

I'm in the same boat. I like my Evo but prefer to use my iTouch to listen to music when I'm not using Spotify or something else. It's simple, sounds fine, and has more storage space. I also prefer saving my battery for more important things on the Evo.

I will say that I did use my Evo as a music player on a flight a few weeks ago, and it worked wonderfully.

Upvote 0
I'm split. It easier to put music on my evo (only 8gb though, and a lot of that is used by pics, nandroids etc..) so I really have about 4g for music. When I get a new cd it's easier to put it on my evo in comparison to my ipod.

Though if I'm needing some pure music, I'll hit up my ipod (16gb full of music). My ipod sticks close to my guitar amp lately lol. Evo's with my blastin' new cds. Not into pandora too much any more.

Seems everyone is really liking google music...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones