• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dodgy Compass ?

phillik

Lurker
Dec 11, 2010
My HTC Wildfire Compass is very erratic. It points where it likes when a compass app is started. I have tried many compass apps and all require calibrating EVERY time by waving in figure 8 then it will work. (very embaracing on the streets :eek:) but it ALWAY looses calibration when returning from sleep or any other function.

I have asked HTC support and the response was very poor. Does this happen for anybody else? Have I got a faulty handset or is this just a feature? It is from Three on 2.1 and I have done a factory reset to prove the point.

Yup, same isses, wavering compass that is all over the place, mine won't improve after the calibration. Google Sky Maps is hopeless too, but I put that down to the compass.

Possible reasons I have thought about:

Do I have a duff phone, perhaps if I sent it back I might get one that works? After reading these posts, I am not sure that will help.

Is it because there is too much metal and electrical/wireless devices around? I have tried in a field with no apparent improvement.

Am I magnetic? Not as far as I know.

Are iPhones as bad? Perhaps the quality of the magnetometer is lower in HTC devices? People I have talked to say the iPhone compass works OK.

This was one of the reasons I chose this phone (I would never buy Apple, well I do have three iPods, but I hate them all and now really only use the phone for music).

Let's hope an update will fix this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones